Mac not liking the format of SD card

redsmartie

Reaction score
I have a GoPro Hero 5 Black and when I insert the card in a reader that was formatted on the camera (ExFAT) I get a message that "macOS can’t repair the disk"

I've ignored that as it will normally read the disk no problem but I've realised that there are some MP4 videos that it just won't read. They play ok on the camera and while other videos on the SD will import into iMovie and play off the disk, some won't.

I don't have a lead with me at the moment so can't try using the SD in the camera rather than a card reader.

Has anyone else seen this happen? I'm on macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

How old is your mac?
I had it happen on my 2011 macbook pro and the machine just couldnt read the super duper SD card directly. You can try using a file explorer to find it on the camera and import it, or use a different card reader?

Its a 2017 MacBook Pro. I have access to a few card readers and its the same. Most videos show a preview image and can be played directly from the card or imported into iMovie. A handful of videos just show the default icon for an MP4 and will not play or copy. They can be played off the SD when inserted into the GoPro.

Found a USB-C cable and have the GoPro directly attached. The videos are available to import including these that previously wouldn't play ball.

Some do have a thumbnail and some just have the default icon (filmstrip). I've not had this Hero 5 Black long enough to get a pattern. Either way the PC didn't want to even see any of the cards contents.

May have an answer. These cards are from my older cameras. The only card not having the problem is the Extreme. The others are Ultra. I think its the speed of the cards.

I'll have to buy some new Ultras for the GoPro 5 and just use the Extreme in the GoPro 4

Back
Top Bottom