Route Grand Alps - Col de la Cayolle or Col de la Bonette?

ebbo

Reaction score
We've just driven Col de la Cayolle on the Route Grand Alps, we had to go that way rather than Col de la Bonette due the Bonette still being closed due to snow (bad luck or poor planning, you choose). Anyway, both these passes form part of the Route Grand Alps and run North/South roughly along side each other. Having now done both I can really recommend the lower of the two passes the Col de la Cayolle, I know its not so high but it sure does have it for drama and variety, I really recommended it :thumb2

Attachments

• Col de la Cayolle.jpg
    Col de la Cayolle.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 996
PS, watch out for giant mountain beavers!

Aka Marmottes.

852bf4c548db4ebccbc943b15215265a.jpeg

We saw dozens last year on a very early morning ride up the Col du Galibier.

Agree that the Cayolle route is very good, but if you time La Bonnette right so it’s clear skies at the top, the view is stunning.
But I’ve been four times and it’s only been clear once .
La Bonnette also has my fav mountain restaurant anywhere,just before the top of the col if you’re routing north-south.

c118ac0f11ba26aae632a843d1a2fe24.jpg

I had to abandon a plan to do the Bonnett a few days ago - it's not always easy to glean what's open and what's not in the period as the passes comeback into play. Quite a few of the smaller roads are also "route barre" as the resurfacing machines are out too, which is a bummer if you don't find out until the junction!

Whether you're on the Route Napoleon, Route des Grand Alps or some of the lesser known Road and routes down there though.... Awesome, aren't they? :D

I like them both, La Bonnette would get my nod if your only able to do one, but both are great, La Bonnette is also much smoother for those not on Adventure Bikes. I also really like Col du Allos which is another Alternate, and just over the border Col de Larche is also nice, or Sampeyre a bit further East if you want a really rugged ride...

...which is why we have 3 nights on Barcelonnette again this year, so we can ride the lot :)

No idea where Arsey's restaurant is though, I cannot remember anything anywhere near the top, will keep an eye out for this when we are back there again in a few weeks.

No idea where Arsey's restaurant is though, I cannot remember anything anywhere near the top, will keep an eye out for this when we are back there again in a few weeks.
Me neither :nenau

Need more info :D

It’s off to the right side as you drive up from Jausiers. Probably about 10 minutes from the top. Looked on Google maps but can’t see it . Will look again.

Edited to add. Found it.

It’s called Halte 2000.

You’ll see the sign as below but won’t see much of the restaurant unless you stop.

The food and view is fabulous.Have a salad !

e52d6165df9d6e4ce1fa76cad19afbcc.jpg

9979ebda162306c0c1fb65cec86c4d3a.jpeg

14085fbd27c4272be389639a774042e6.jpeg

bb579ff1087fe549f90abffb67787c62.jpg

Is there still a lot of snow about?
We are hoping to ride the high trails in a couple of weeks .

Lots of snow about at the top of the high passes, if the roads are still closed I can’t see the trails being better :nenau

Cheers, Luckily France has lots of other nice areas to ride off road .

We've just spent a couple of weeks down there slowly getting to and from the GP in Monaco. The weather has been fantastic almost all of the time (except Bonnett day!) with mostly glorious sunshine and high 20s temperatures. I think you'll be unlucky if you miss much through snow related closures in a couple of weeks, but do watch for road repairs which are going on apace.

Spot on Arsey! and doesn't that salad look good! :D

Indeed, the restaurant does not show up on Google Maps, it shows up in My Route App if I ask for restaurants to be displayed, checking street view there is a BIG sign for the place, I expect the chances are we have only passed by when not actively looking for a place to stop.

As it looks so good I will add it to all of my Routes as a reminder in future, this year we will probably be going past it quite early, but might stop for a cuppa, or even brekky

Indeed, the restaurant does not show up on Google Maps,
I've just added it to Google maps, it's pending acceptance by moderators (which is a good thing because Google Maps algorithms can be difficult things to work around at times)

I've just added it to Google maps, it's pending acceptance by moderators (which is a good thing because Google Maps algorithms can be difficult things to work around at times)

Great, now there will be a queue when I get there :blast

Back
Top Bottom