GSAP Upshift Issues - anyone else?

That's what I do!----its clunky on the upshift with throttle open so I tried it just backing off throttle and no use of clutch...bingo!--smooth changes.
Never had problem downshifting, that's great with the autoblipper

Mine's been difficult to upshift from day 1. OKish downshift.

Just had it serviced and the upshifts are a little better but the lever is still more difficult to operate than with the clutch.
I end up doing clutchless upshifts but not using the GSAP , by just dipping the throttle. Much better,

That's what I do!----its clunky on the upshift with throttle open so I tried it just backing off throttle and no use of clutch...bingo!--smooth changes.

That tells me that maybe ours isn't shutting the throttle off for up changes! But I always thought that if you rolled off the throttle, even slightly is cancelled the GSAP.

All this talk about throttle control and release etc. These patterns should be registered to the user via the Adaptation Values and not that the user adapts himself to the "wrongly set" values.

By right, by resetting these values and then reprogramming the values with each rider is the best bet to have smooth changes.
Problem is most riders are new to this GSAP and cannot program the settings consistently and ends up with inconsistent shifting patterns.
This results in the sometimes hard, sometimes smooth pattern we see mostly.

At least that's my analysis after so many weeks of anguish.
Tomorrow I get back my bike. Rain has cleared.
We will see whether the mechanic really reset and programmed my GSAP "correctly".

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I got my GSA back with the GSAP alledgedly reset and reprogrammed.
As a qualifier, I need to say I had been riding a Scrambler R1200 with a heavy clutch and a super rough gearing last few days.

Also, my GSA got the latest SW update ....xxx.90. That's why I got the Scrambler as a replacement bike over the weekend.

And the first thing I noticed was how incredibly smooth the gears felt (compared to the Scrambler).

Then I tried the GSAP, it is indeed noticeably smoother. Gear 1-2. Then 3-4.
All seems ok while engine was cold.

Having ridden it a while, it still did clunk into next gear sometimes but overall it felt a slight improvement over last week.

So ....I got to just live with it. Want smooth?...use clutch.

GSAP 4-5-6 is very smooth.

Thanks for reading.
Joe

4b18df9f88e5108cffb24671e9adfb00.jpg

Having rode my bike 15 miles / 50 mins each way into the city and back each day to work since starting this thread I'm more inclined to agree with the user effort but definitely think it isn't right that most people have an issue with the gsap. Clearly it needs to be reworked by BMW to stop so many people having the same experience. The r1200r I had while my bike was serviced a few months ago had a much smoother gsap and when I asked I was told it's a newer gsap so I guess as the new units come out well have less issues but for the money it's a bit lame. Like most things BMW.

Picked up my new one the other day, sometimes it’s working fine and butter smooth, other times it’s as described, really a really hard shift and clunky as hell. I noticed a vast improvement when on the power for ups and off for downs but the 1>2 change is usually awful, big clunk and surge forward.
I’ll get them to sort it on the 600 mike service if it’s not improved.

Picked up my new one the other day, sometimes it’s working fine and butter smooth, other times it’s as described, really a really hard shift and clunky as hell. I noticed a vast improvement when on the power for ups and off for downs but the 1>2 change is usually awful, big clunk and surge forward.

Hi friend...i tried it with 2 different bmw mechanics. Still same.

It is 50/50 chance.
Hope you are on the correct 50 side...

Quick update.
Managed to get out on it for 70ish miles of B roads and country lanes yesterday, my issue was me basically. After a bit of time using it and using the clutch for 1>2 shifts everything else works great and smooth. Practice time is all that was needed gere👍

Downshift... 4500rpm minimum closed throttle, works a treat all gears even into first.
Upshift... mid revs, part throttle works well in 4 5 and 6th. Clutch always for the first 3 gears. Full throttle I struggle to move the lever, maybe if i had bigger feet ? I find that the old fashioned way of a quick throttle flick (off) works well.

A friend of mine on his S1000r says he only uses the clutch when he stops, up and down the box all six gears butter smooth, almost an auto box. We can only dream.

Quick update.
Managed to get out on it for 70ish miles of B roads and country lanes yesterday, my issue was me basically. After a bit of time using it and using the clutch for 1>2 shifts everything else works great and smooth. Practice time is all that was needed gere
LOL.
Really?

Wait a few more days....I did the same and thought the same. The hard shifts came back when they want.

For MY case, it is not me. It is something with the gearbox or GSAP or setting. Whatever.

It cannot be that the rider has to focus on shifting while going at speed or over dirt roads. Very distracting.
I think one day I will break the lever.
So I use clutch now.

Back
Top Bottom