GSAP Upshift Issues - anyone else?

wileeeeeey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Occasionally while upshifting using GSAP on my GSA the bike kind of pauses for a split second to have a think about what it's going do before then shifting up.

The issue is that when it does decide to shift up the bike jolts pretty hard. I think this is because the acceleration ever so briefly pauses and then *really* accelerates almost as if to catch up for the delay. Because it happens completely randomly it always catches me off guard and is fucking horrible. Scares the shit out of me.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is it a known issue? Will a software update fix it/is there a software update?

I'm on a 2017 GSA and on the weekend my friend on a 2014 GS said he also has the same.

Does it do this in any random gear? On my 2016 R1200RS the shift using GSAP is so clunky 1-2 and 2-3 that I use the clutch. It's fine in the higher gears and down shifting. I rode a 2017 R1200GS Rallye recently which was exactly the same.

Supposedly they improved things on 2017 versions of the RS so I was expecting the Rallye to be better.

Can't say for sure which gear it's in buy it isn't 1-2 or 5-6 as it seems to happen when I'm going through the gears. Anywhere between 2-5 but I know that's of limited value.

Did you speak to the dealer? Any software update or resolution? Doesn't sound like it.

Are you sure you’re keeping the throttle open, and not rolling off ever so slightly, as that would cause the jolting?

I had the same on my GS, and occasionally get it on the KTM, but the only time it ever happens is if I roll off slightly, as if I was going to use the clutch. If I keep the throttle open, it never does it, and I’m able to got form 1st to 6th and back to 1st without the clutch.

Are you sure you’re keeping the throttle open, and not rolling off ever so slightly, as that would cause the jolting?

I had the same on my GS, and occasionally get it on the KTM, but the only time it ever happens is if I roll off slightly, as if I was going to use the clutch. If I keep the throttle open, it never does it, and I’m able to got form 1st to 6th and back to 1st without the clutch.

+1 with Nutty jumps like a horse if throttle rolled off

I'll keep an eye but I don't think so as most times it happens is when I'm absolutely pinning it throttle all the way open. It isn't the micro deceleration that's the issue it's the big BANG forward when it engages into gear and goes again

It happened to mine occasionally - I think it happened with me when my toe is just touching the lever in preparation for the change.

Since changing my method it hasn't happened since.

I'll keep an eye but I don't think so as most times it happens is when I'm absolutely pinning it throttle all the way open. It isn't the micro deceleration that's the issue it's the big BANG forward when it engages into gear and goes again

The only time it ever happens is when I’m not concentrating properly, and it’s bloody annoying when it does!

Can't say for sure which gear it's in buy it isn't 1-2 or 5-6 as it seems to happen when I'm going through the gears. Anywhere between 2-5 but I know that's of limited value.

Did you speak to the dealer? Any software update or resolution? Doesn't sound like it.

No. I was warned about it before the test ride by the sales bloke. "Use the clutch for 1st two changes." As long as it works on downchanges and gives me that lovely auto-blip I am not bothered.

I found it works best when the RPM is around the 4K mark especially 1 - 2 2 - 3 but to be honest I tend to use the clutch for the fist gear changes

I have experienced what you are describing occasionally on my 2017 Rallye however I believe this is down to my user error and not being positive enough on the uplift with my boot.

I change gear with the clutch vey ‘causally’ if you know what I mean. Clutch in and a light flick of the boot and that is all it takes however when using the quick shifter you need a solid gear change. If I’m too light (like a clutched change) then what you describe happens. I use the gear assist pro in all gears in both directions and when used properly (obviously just my option after 7,000 miles) it works beautifully.

In summary I had to train myself to consciously select the gear with a firm boot every time for a satisfying slick change. If I lapse back into a light flick as I do when clutching in traffic then the weird changes can occur.

I have experienced what you are describing occasionally on my 2017 Rallye however I believe this is down to my user error and not being positive enough on the uplift with my boot.

I change gear with the clutch vey ‘causally’ if you know what I mean. Clutch in and a light flick of the boot and that is all it takes however when using the quick shifter you need a solid gear change. If I’m too light (like a clutched change) then what you describe happens. I use the gear assist pro in all gears in both directions and when used properly (obviously just my option after 7,000 miles) it works beautifully.

In summary I had to train myself to consciously select the gear with a firm boot every time for a satisfying slick change. If I lapse back into a light flick as I do when clutching in traffic then the weird changes can occur.

yep +1 on that it is like driving a manual car then getting into an automatic, and trying to not push the clutch with your left foot, anyway that is how it feels to me, it is a nice addition but must admit still use clutch more only use gsap when on straight roads, not confident enough yet with it in the tight bends.

I am quite an "expert" in this topic, having discussed this problem with several people already in another forum.
I have a 2018 GSA with GSAP. The GSAP sucks while the clutch transmission is butter smooth.

Initially I thought it was me and also the bike (transmission) was new.
It is easy to shift by clutch (almost sublime smoothness) but the shift lever seems to be hard-stuck whenever I tried to shift using the GSAP.
I can injure my foot, no kidding.

After 2800km, I decided to do a test.
I went to the BMW dealer and asked to ride their GSA demo bike (which has less km than mine).
That demo bike shifted with GSAP like the gears wanted to jump into the next gear (smooth like using a clutch).
It was effortless clicking into gears. The engine was COLD.

So I complained to the dealer about my GSAP.
He asked his mechanic to take the demo bike and my bike to have an objective comparison.

They agreed mine was hard to shift. They also said not every bike can be the same. (BS if you asked me)

They proceeded to lube the lever and also hooked up to the computer to reset the Gear Adaptation Values and reteach the GSAP to shift (more about this later).

Result: My bike still shift badly with the GSAP.
It is very frustrating because sometimes it shifts very well, even from 2-3-4-5-6 but sometimes the gears still does not want to budge and I had to really kick it into gear (often resulting in a lunge forward).

This weekend I have another scheduled meeting with a BMW mechanic to try to resolve this problem.

The Software solution seems to be:
Reset all Adaptation Values of the Gear Transmission values (via BMW workshop or your own GS-911 device).
Startup the bike in 1st gear, then run the bike 10 seconds (must durate) in each gear using clutch method. 1-2-3-4-5-6.
Some said to do this on the road, some said to do this on the center stand.
This allows computer to learn the shifting pattern.

And after it reaches 6th gear, shift down to 1 (no time limit) with clutch.
Then shut off bike and wait 2 mins for ECU to register the change.

This will magically result in the GSAP becoming smooth and effortless.

Will this be my result on this weekend? Stay tuned.

I thought the same thing too...until I rode the DEMO bike (GSA 2018). It shifts easily with casual flicks as well.
So....

Only happened once this morning between second and third so will see what happens on the way home. Trying to be quite deliberate with my shifts so we'll see what happens.

Remember it's you doing the shifting. All the bike does is kill the engine. There's a strain gauge on the gear lever. If you preload the lever just tad too much before the change it can kill the engine without you having changed gear. It's happened to me when I've not been deliberate with the lever - both ways...

I also have this on my 2018 Rallye.

I have not found a pattern yet.

Will be watching this space!!! :D

Trying to be more deliberate in my shifting. Only happened once on the way home today. It could be me after all. The shock - user error!

Back
Top Bottom