full size system panniers dont fit on GS

DR268

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I took the advice and went stubby so I could use the full panniers on both sides of the 1150GS

stubby sounds nice but the foot rest pannier bracket is wrong now.

where do I get the correct one ?

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 599
I've seen someone solve the problem by attaching a pair of kitchen cupboard shelf-support pads to the pannier. It means drilling the panniers though.
Here y'are!

I've seen someone solve the problem by attaching a pair of kitchen cupboard shelf-support pads to the pannier. It means drilling the panniers though.
Here y'are!

that is a good idea and could be plan C

ideally I want a bmw bracket that will fit straight on and solve my issue, although not too sure it exists

plan D is to sell the pannier and buy a GS box, possibly what I should have done in the first place

I drilled a couple of pipe supports from offshore through the left pannier and it worked a treat. I had ordered a left hand foot rest and was going to get the welder at work to modify it and then thought about the plastic pipe supports which are perfect. Just get down B&Q for some plastic blocks used for building cabinets etc (as per two wheels good above), and problem solved for 10p:blagblah

AndyT

that is a good idea and could be plan C

ideally I want a bmw bracket that will fit straight on and solve my issue, although not too sure it exists

plan D is to sell the pannier and buy a GS box, possibly what I should have done in the first place

The extra luggage capacity is really useful. It may be worth looking at a fiche for the S and RS models to see their configuration.
Wudo used to make a fitment kit but you're unlikely to find one easily.

[EDIT] One other thing.. the end-cap on the foot-rest hanger can be removed. If you resort to attaching the plastic supports check whether the best fit is with or without the end-cap.

I don't think there is any combination of BMW parts which can solve the problem?
I've used full size cases with a stubby pipe for years - easiest solution is shelf blocks as already mentioned, or, like I did, make up a bracket to bring the locating block to the correct position for the full case.
I'm in Galicia just now on another bike so I can't post photo's at the moment.

Cheers.........Grizzly

The extra luggage capacity is really useful. It may be worth looking at a fiche for the S and RS models to see their configuration.
Wudo used to make a fitment kit but you're unlikely to find one easily.

[EDIT] One other thing.. the end-cap on the foot-rest hanger can be removed. If you resort to attaching the plastic supports check whether the best fit is with or without the end-cap.

thanks

I think I will just sell these and buy another pair that fit directly on

the loss of capacity is not a concern

any takers ? work perfectly usual scrapes 2 matching keys

thanks

I think I will just sell these and buy another pair that fit directly on

the loss of capacity is not a concern

any takers ? work perfectly usual scrapes 2 matching keys

I wouldn't give up that easily - bike looks far better from the back with 2 full size cases.
Also, don't underestimate the need for extra capacity - even solo it's a big help if your camping with tent etc on rear rack.

Cheers........Grizzly

An option?

BMW used to do a deeper pannier lid which provides some extra capacity. Can now get a full face helmet in with ease on "normal" side. Think it gives about another 7-10 litres of capacity on each side. I find that the space available with a luggage roll is more than enough for a week long trip...but that is being a softy and staying in hotels.

Why not just fit the blocks it takes 5 minutes and gives you extra useable space. Here is the pic that I saw which made me change my method and never looked back.

Attachments

• 5B0B64E3-AC48-4BF6-8383-396D14D3F99B.jpeg
    5B0B64E3-AC48-4BF6-8383-396D14D3F99B.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 405
Ok,
Since answering your PM this morning I've managed to zoom and crop an old photo on my tablet here in rainy, cool Galicia:(,
It maybe gives some idea of the over-engineered bracket I've got:rolleyes: - I used black nylon sheet for mine.

As I said in PM, the plastic blocks are an easier job - and AndyT has now posted a photo:thumb

Like I said before, I wouldn't give up now - get a couple of the blocks, fit the case and move until vertical then stick on blocks with double-sided tape, then carefully remove case and drill and fix blocks.
As I said before, bike looks far neater from rear with the two full size boxes.

Cheers.........Grizzly:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 372
Ok,
Since answering your PM this morning I've managed to zoom and crop an old photo on my tablet here in rainy, cool Galicia:(,
It maybe gives some idea of the over-engineered bracket I've got:rolleyes: - I used black nylon sheet for mine.

As I said in PM, the plastic blocks are an easier job - and AndyT has now posted a photo:thumb

Like I said before, I wouldn't give up now - get a couple of the blocks, fit the case and move until vertical then stick on blocks with double-sided tape, then carefully remove case and drill and fix blocks.
As I said before, bike looks far neater from rear with the two full size boxes.

Cheers.........Grizzly:beerjug:

thanks for that

that looks like a good job

I will see how my sale goes, if not I will modify

Why not just fit the blocks it takes 5 minutes and gives you extra useable space. Here is the pic that I saw which made me change my method and never looked back.

That's what I did.... Piece o piss... If you want to play with different sizes ofstuff then the doy part of your brain has to get active...�� like you said... 5 mims thinking... 5 minutes fixing...

Don't get bigger lids if you like filtering...

Back
Top Bottom