Midges

Lodgey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How big a problem are the little buggers around mid August on Mull and the OuterHebs?

How big a problem are the little buggers around mid August on Mull and the OuterHebs?

Was in Mull last week and got eaten alive on one of the two days!

Tips

1. Are you camping? If so, kit up with Skin so Soft and slap it on.
2. Site your tent in as breezy an area as possible. If on Lewis and the outer isles then close to the sea on the Machair if possible.
3. Take anti insect coils and light them.
4. Cover up and buy a midge net for your head.

If BnB ing, ignore 2 and 4.

Ill be camping, always go end of April but couldn't get this year, mid August will be my only time,was hoping they would be easing of, oh well plenty of smidge

Skin so Soft is somewhat effective against midges (not mosquitoes), but DEET is the gold standard insect repellent (50% or better)

Made the mistake of camping in Glencoe once in mid July. Was ok in the darkness but the next morning as soon as we unzipped the tent it was open season. Never packed a tent up and buggered off as quick in my life.

Skin so Soft is somewhat effective against midges (not mosquitoes), but DEET is the gold standard insect repellent (50% or better)

Yep, just watch what you get it on because the stronger stuff positively disolves certain plastics. I lost a Lomo bag that way :D

I find DEET too nasty on the skin and will eat plastic (like sunglasses). Smidge is very good. Skin-so-soft seems excellent for some people and doesn't work for others.
If you're camping take a head net. Even if you have repellent on they can still swarm you while you're trying to put the tent up.
If your tent is from America make sure the screen is for 'no see ums' rather than mosquitos.
Midges will fly though a standard mossy net, three abreast.

Yes. We surrounded ourselves with them (about 3/4) and they worked well keeping the little blighters at bay.

Smidge and deet based products for me. Avon stuff gives me no protection

+1 for avon skin so soft. As noted it may not work for everyone but after doing some work for a couple of salmon farms that were midge infested hell holes in the summer after a good coating of avon skin so soft, end of problem not even one bite.

That is a million times worse than I've ever witnessed,how do people get abut their daily lives????

Yes,appreciate that, they'll all be gone by August.NOT!!

Back
Top Bottom