Screen Extension

Spectre

Reaction score
I'm suffering badly with wind noise on my 1150 GSA, has anyone else had a similar issue and fitted a screen extension which cured the problem? I know Touratech, Wunderlich and Rugged Roads do them but has anyone a recommendation?
Thanks

Tobinators if you can get them now?

97819d9e2897406ac44a0e51b5198a5b.png

Here is a set on eBay.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers, I didn't know if the tobinators would fit the GSA. Pretty sure I've got a set from Room 101's GS somewhere in the garage so l'll give them a shot if I can find them!!

Tobinators improved it a little on mine, but not enough to justify the price. If you have a set in the garage, try them, but you'll need extra bits to fit a GSA if they're not the GSA Tobinators.

I found a combination of GSA-specific tobinators and winglets works very well.

It's a lot of money if they don't work and I can't remember if they were that much of an improvement on my GS, it's getting bad enough to consider changing the bike!

For less wind noise, try cutting it down rather than extending it upwards.

Not a GS, but I first went upwards with quite a nice screen on my RS, then took a saw to my OEM screen and find a lower screen a great improvement.

(don’t know why picture is lying down)

Attachments

• 64A5CD3C-38F6-4E2F-964D-79AEDD75A850.jpg
    64A5CD3C-38F6-4E2F-964D-79AEDD75A850.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 477
The 1150gsa is always going to have a degree of noise and buffeting unfortunately although much depends on your upper body height! Best combination I've tried is a MRA screen with Tobinators, the standard screen with something similar to a puig adjustable flip fitted gives excellent wind deflection but in my case it's right in my line of sight and just too obtrusive...yet to try the standard screen with Tobinators and a Puig flip though :nenau

I think I have tried and experimented with most combinations of standard screen, GSA screen, MRA screen, taller screen, Wunderlich screen extension, all with and without tobinators. I finally (?) settled on GSA screen with tobinators and winglets.

Also remember other factors such as riding position and the impact of different seats (in my case Sargent) and handlebar position to which you can add further complication with bar risers. The variables are almost endless and finding the holy grail of what suits you best can be tricky.

Having said all that a screen extension may be a good and relatively inexpensive place to start and with luck may work for you.

I feel for you! I've never found a good solution to the unholy wind noise and racket from the screen, and I wear ear plugs. This summer, I took the screen (adventure with tobes) off to clean it, and left it off. The wind hits my chest a bit more, but I'm not sure that it isn't quieter-it's very difficult to tell without replicating an identical situation.

Well I would have ordered except they don't post to IV postcodes...coming all that way with free postage but not to IV30 !

Well I would have ordered except they don't post to IV postcodes...coming all that way with free postage but not to IV30 !

Total sympathy. I've got an AB31 postcode and it may as well be sodding Antarctica

Spectre. I have a standard gs with tobinators and a slightly taller screen. Lower seat position and 5'9" it's pretty quiet. You can PM me and try it if you like. :thumb2

As I mentioned, I only got a slight improvement with the tobinators and the standard GSA screen. I spent a day experimenting with it and eventually tried without the screen at all. I was surprised to find that the turbulence was still there. The turbulence was coming up in front of the tank, under the handlebars and hitting me on the chin.

I bought two A4 sheets of polycarbonate and last weekend I finally got around to making a set of winglets. They made a huge difference. I had to make a small adjustment to the screen with the tobinators to get it perfect, but it's much better now. If I sit bolt upright, which I usually do, I still get some slight buffeting but if I slouch slightly it's much quieter. I can now hear the engine and the tyres humming.

Back
Top Bottom