Getting on and off!

scooter paul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m Trial packing my Scrambler for it’s next adventure and I’m taking a lot more luggage than I’d normally strap on to the seat area. On previous trips I’ve been able to swing my leg over but it’s packed so high I can’t do this now. I’ve seen other motorcyclists getting on their bikes by resting it on the sidestand and then with their left foot on the left footrest, mount as if they were getting on a horse. Any feedback as to how strong the stand bracket is? I’m not exactly a lightweight either.
Please spare me ‘ all you need is a toothbrush and a credit card’ type comments! There is a need for everything I’m taking.
Ps I do have SW Motech side panniers too.

I’m Trial packing my Scrambler for it’s next adventure and I’m taking a lot more luggage than I’d normally strap on to the seat area. On previous trips I’ve been able to swing my leg over but it’s packed so high I can’t do this now. I’ve seen other motorcyclists getting on their bikes by resting it on the sidestand and then with their left foot on the left footrest, mount as if they were getting on a horse. Any feedback as to how strong the stand bracket is? I’m not exactly a lightweight either.
Please spare me ‘ all you need is a toothbrush and a credit card’ type comments! There is a need for everything I’m taking.

That is exactly why I decided to keep my GSA after falling in love with R9T Pure. I just couldn’t see myself going away to say Italy for two weeks with a small tail bag. I am sure it is doable but, with GSA for me it just does away with with any doubts.
Good luck with your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My work colleague who has a LC GSA uses the sidestand footpeg method to mount his bike with no problems

I used to do it on my Varadero all the time.

Not sure if i could do it on my 06 GS, as the bugger leans over way way to the left, i suppose if i got a longer side

stand it might be feasable.

But then there's the trade off for stability when on the side stand!

My work colleague who has a LC GSA uses the sidestand footpeg method to mount his bike with no problems

I used to do it on my Varadero all the time.

Not sure if i could do it on my 06 GS, as the bugger leans over way way to the left, i suppose if i got a longer side

stand it might be feasable.

But then there's the trade off for stability when on the side stand!
Thanks for the reply. I have tried this method with my Scrambler and it works like a charm. I’m just worried about the strength of the frame bracket.

lift your right leg up and hop on your left towards the bike ninja style..... then just as your nuts hit the corner of the seat sit down - Sorted

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this method with my Scrambler and it works like a charm. I’m just worried about the strength of the frame bracket.

it'll be fine till it snaps.

I wouldn’t trust it but, many do - seems very mechanically unsympathetic to put another 80kg plus onto the side stand bolt.

I'm not suggesting you're short, but...

this method of getting on could prove tricky - the getting off, however, not for the faint hearted :eek::eek::eek:

On the GS I do it this way, no problems at all 105 kgs, just hold the front brake at the same time, I see no problem yet, if it breaks, will make a thread later.

lift your right leg up and hop on your left towards the bike ninja style..... then just as your nuts hit the corner of the seat sit down - Sorted

This.. done correctly it can look a bit German but then so is the bike :p

Until you miss your target then...............oops how do I know, hence cowboy style now

I can just lift my leg and swing it over at the moment lol, hurdler style

The hop assumes you can lift your leg high enough to get it over the seat in the first place,

easy in jeans, wait till youve got the full winter clobber on lol

I can just lift my leg and swing it over at the moment lol, hurdler style

The hop assumes you can lift your leg high enough to get it over the seat in the first place,

easy in jeans, wait till youve got the full winter clobber on lol

Hence John Wayne style helps, Hood jeans really comfy for the leg over at the moment, but with Street guard different gravy.

I'm not suggesting you're short, but...

this method of getting on could prove tricky - the getting off, however, not for the faint hearted :eek::eek::eek:

I perform it in reverse when dismounting at the petrol pump just stand on the left peg ,bring the bike to a slow stop, step down and put the side stand down.Mounting is fine if you have the room in front before you turn. Alternately swinging the outside leg forward over the riding seat as described previously is the only other option if you have luggage in the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wabDqaKXUrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhjeReEnpuo

Back
Top Bottom