newbie.. info if possible.

kwackless

Reaction score
Hi everyone:thumb2 after many years of being a kawasaki lover decided to get something more comfortable for touring after considering the K.T.M 1290 which is to tall and the multistrada which not to big on the looks I decided to go for the b.m.w r1200 gs lc "reduced frame model" which I bought new in 2016 thankfully I've no regrets:clap toured Europe last June 3,200 miles in 10 days with no aching wrists or back:bow.. Sorry about just asking this next question so soon after joining but touring again end of month and would like some advice on that sore topic of tyres:blast I've read some of the post already posted and the PR4'S and the tourance next seem to be the most popular like the look of the tourance tyres but heard that if you have a mudsling fitted "like I do" the tyre will rub on the tourance tyre this may be the odd one or 2 this as happened to but also may be wider problem which as happened to more riders fitting tourance next tyres with the mudsling can any confirm that this is just a one or 2 off or is it a bigger problem if you have tourance next tyres fitted with a mudsling dose it rub? if I was honest I ride road only.. never bought the GS to go of road.. bought it for comfort and like the look of the GS. can't decide between the tourance next and the pr4's trail tyre so if the there is a problem with the tourance tyre with the mudsling rubbing then the pr4's trails are the answer. my gs came with anakee 3 tyres as standard got 6,000 miles on them now front is on 4 mm and still looks fine the rear is on 3.5 mm and will need to be change before my Europe trip. I reckon I could get another 3,000 mile from the front and just replace the rear with another anakee 3 which to be honest I found the anakee 3 tyres to be excellent all round tyre, also not noticed the noise that been reported but suppose that could be due to me riding loud kawasaki supersports and having a akrapovic on the GS also ride with ear plugs. but would prefer to change both tyres for the trip. just need to decide between the tourance next and the pr4's if the tourance next rub on the mudslinger then it's a no brainer pr4's it is.. unless there is another road tyre worth considering. suppose it makes good sense if I don't go off road then by a 100% road tyre. but heard the tourance next is a 90% road and 10% light gravel which may suit me better. but if the tourance next rubs on my mudslinger then that's a NO..NO. don't want to be cutting the mudslinger to make clearance the the tourance tyre.

Welcome to the forum beema.....:thumb2

Tyres eh....you're spoilt for choice & black boots are very subjective/personal; have a browse in the water cooled section, and do a search for tyres (you may need to book some time off work/write off a weekend with the amount of info the search will produce!!!!!)

Thanks for the reply.. beginning to think unless your one of the regulars then tuff! I work away a lot and don't have internet excess. decided to go for the PR4'S trail tyres they seem to be the most popular choice for 100% road use. like I said my bike came with the oem anakees 2 tyres and seemed fine but makes sense to go full road tyre if you don't do off road.

I did have a set of PR4's on my GSA12, and they were superb in dry & wet...the wear rate wasn't too good due to the compound mix.

yes.. I understand that wear maybe less due to the compound but grip is more important to me than wear. I'm on 6,200 miles on my anakee 2 tyres and still have approx a good thousand miles left in the rear.. the front is showing very little signs of wear. but touring europe next month with a 3,000 mile round trip so need to replace the rear tyre. could have got away with just replacing the rear with o.e.m anakee but decided to go for the 100% pr4's road tyres. before my b.m.w I always rode kawasaki had 2006/2009/2012 se model and the 2015 sport performance model "not at the same time" which I p/x the 2015 zzr for the gs wanted something more comfortable for touring!! I was lucky if I got 3,000 miles out if a rear on the zzr's so I'm sure the rear pr4's on the gs will last at least 5,000 miles.

Back
Top Bottom