Bikesure issues with cover at last minute

snaponphil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just to make you aware, I got a decent price on a multi bike policy from Bikesure, was checking exclusions & their policy’s state unless in a locked garage the bikes are not insured under any circumstances within 500 metres/yards AT ANY TIME day or night, I called & questioned the company & they confirmed it, if I pop into the house for my helmet or for whatever reason it’s NO COVER whatsoever.
I declined & approached another insurer they insist locked garage between 10pm till 7am but insured during the day.
Cost £140 more but worth it I think.

I’ve had this with other insurance companies, seems a common stipulation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to make you aware, I got a decent price on a multi bike policy from Bikesure, was checking exclusions & their policy’s state unless in a locked garage the bikes are not insured under any circumstances within 500 metres/yards AT ANY TIME day or night, I called & questioned the company & they confirmed it, if I pop into the house for my helmet or for whatever reason it’s NO COVER whatsoever.
I declined & approached another insurer they insist locked garage between 10pm till 7am but insured during the day.
Cost £140 more but worth it I think.

When you say not insured are you referring to the theft part of the policy or not insured at all ?

The theft cover requiring a bike to be garaged while at home is quite common and intended to make policy holders put their bikes away when not in use reducing the risk of theft, a blanket not leisured is something I have never heard of before.

Hi guys, it’s a theft endorsement..
434 - E434 EXCLUDING THEFT WHEN NOT IN PRIVATE GARAGE AT HOME OR DECLARED GARAGING ADDRESS - You have agreed that you will keep your vehicle in your private locked garage or building, at your home and/or declared garaging address, to which only you and anyone with your permission have access. If a theft or attempted theft of your vehicle happens at any time and within a 500 metre radius of your home and/or declared garaging address when the vehicle is not locked in this garage or building we will not pay the claim. This restriction does not apply to any loss or damage occurring whilst your motorcycle is parked away from your home during the course of a journey.

434 - E434 EXCLUDING THEFT WHEN NOT IN PRIVATE GARAGE AT HOME OR DECLARED GARAGING ADDRESS - You have agreed that you will keep your vehicle in your private locked garage or building, at your home and/or declared garaging address, to which only you and anyone with your permission have access. If a theft or attempted theft of your vehicle happens at any time and within a 500 metre radius of your home and/or declared garaging address when the vehicle is not locked in this garage or building we will not pay the claim. This restriction does not apply to any loss or damage occurring whilst your motorcycle is parked away from your home during the course of a journey.

Before jumping ship with the insurer did you ask for a quote for the bikes ungaraged, it might have been less than the new company?

I am not a lawyer but they would struggle to enforce that in certain circumstances. There are laws to protect consumers from weasel words like this. I can think of two scenarios where they would have to payout. The first is where you have a garage integral to your home and you have to go indoors to open the door. If your bike is lobbed into the back of a van whilst you make your way inside the home from the front door to the garage then they will have to pay out. The other scenario is where you arrive home and are mugged by thieves who then make off on your bike.

On the other hand, if you leave the bike on the drive to dry off after washing it or whilst you make a sandwich then they might have a case that you are not taking due care of the bike. It's all about context not literal interpretation of weasel words that would not stand up in a complaint to the Ombudsman, in arbitration or in legal proceedings.

and, whilst this might not stand up in court, it might be wise to steer clear of any underwriter who puts such a clause in their policy as they are likely to be slippery to deal with in the event of any claim

For information, my policy with Hastings has this clause which doubles the excess if the bike is not garaged near home - a more sensible approach

18 Garaged Motorcycle Clause - (Increased Excess)
You have agreed that you will keep your motorcycle in a locked garage or building
either at your home address or at the address declared to us when your motorcycle is
not being used. If a theft or attempted theft of your motorcycle occurs within a 500 metre
radius of your home address or the garaging address when the motorcycle is not in a
locked garage or building, your insurer will double the compulsory excess.

I hate bikesure with a passion

When i bought the Hypermotard i went to them for insurance quote

One of the online questions was does the bike have an aftermarket exhaust I answered yes then the next question was does it give more or less than 5% power increase. I checked the Ducati site and the termignoni site and at the time they were quoting 4% increase in BHP so that is what i declared.
No problems so far ....

AS i was actually collecting the bike i received a phone call from Bikesure asking what make of exhaust it was that i had declared. I told them it was a Termignoni. after about 5 or 6 minutes they accepted that 4% power was correct but still wanted a further £70 to record it. I had just signed and paid for the bike and had little choice other than to cough up

A couple of months later i received an e mail with loads of new policy endorsements including the not insured if not locked in the garage with the chain and ground anchor i had declared ( ALmax and Prgmasis). not insured for theft within 500M of the garage. Several more such endorsements have appeared over the duration.

When i moved they tried to sting me for a higher crime area even though i moved 200 yards to a small cul de sac that has had no crime in 40 years.

I re insured with the AA recently for a lot less money and much better cover and have just given all the above to Bikesure as my reasons for not staying with them and why i will never use them again

Some on here know i am a man of my word with things like this ( Ask rainbow why they dont get my custom any more)

Bike sure are a set of bastards without doubt

Two Hastings policies one with AXA, one with Highway, both have a garage clause not covered 10pm to 6am if at home not garaged. Seems fair enough.
Would be interested to know if the no cover at all any time of day or night could be enforced.

I never tick the chained/ground anchor option. It always is, but if you ever forget it gives them a get out. Quote difference was only £10 so not worth the chance.

Two Hastings policies one with AXA, one with Highway, both have a garage clause not covered 10pm to 6am if at home not garaged. Seems fair enough.
Would be interested to know if the no cover at all any time of day or night could be enforced.

I never tick the chained/ground anchor option. It always is, but if you ever forget it gives them a get out. Quote difference was only £10 so not worth the chance.

I have often wondered how they know if it was chained etc just as when you are asked your annual mileage but not a start of policy mileage ?

Same thing happened to me on renewal absolutely no cover if left on drive and not in garage at any time. Rang them up and they confirmed no payout if stolen.

Refused policy and purchased another. Ironically it was with same underwriter!

Policy was cheaper as went through bike insurer.

If we all refuse to accept the clause then then insurance company will get the message

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Before jumping ship with the insurer did you ask for a quote for the bikes ungaraged, it might have been less than the new company?

Yes I asked, the guy on the phone said just for 1 bike it was over £1k, shall I proceed to final quote.? I said no point.
Called my original insurer (Carole Nash) asked about their garage policy, they confirmed it was covered but has a garaging clause after 10pm which i think is acceptable

That clause is becoming more common, have it with IAM Surety and had it with my policy from Principle Insurance as well. Ageas seem to now stipulate it.

Just comfort yourselves that - when it comes to the possible declining of a claim - the application of any exclusion or restriction has to be reasonable and proportionate on the part of the insurer. Stop working yourselves into a tizzy.

Does anyone have any real (as opposed to “My mate’s mate says he thinks he had a mate where it happened for defo or he read it somewhere”) hands on evidence of an insurer categorically refusing to pay a theft claim due to a breach of the garaging requirement? Given the apparent huge number of motorbikes stolen under all sorts of circumstances and the proliferation of social networking, something must be out there.... or maybe not.

The clause on my policy is for gargling and malicious damage within 500 mars of the house. So I asked what would happen if I stopped for fuel at a garage within half a K of my house and they said if anything happened at the garage and I was on my way home, they would look at any claim. Yeh right :)

So, you asked the question and the reply was positive... but you chose not to believe it. On what grounds? That the respondent’s reply was knowingly and deliberately dishonest? That you know something material that the respondent doesn’t know? That you’ve heard it happened to someone’s mate’s mate?

So, you asked the question and the reply was positive... but you chose not to believe it. On what grounds? That the respondent’s reply was knowingly and deliberately dishonest? That you know something material that the respondent doesn’t know? That you’ve heard it happened to someone’s mate’s mate?

What I choose to believe or not believe is nothing to do with you. Its based on dealings with insurance companies before, so unless I have the response in writing or a recording of it, it will have no bearing on the outcome. This was from a broker, not the underwriter who would agree or disagree a claim. So I adhere to their clause and if I don't then its my choice.

Back
Top Bottom