Impromptu trip to Mongolia

37e1b4f961b433156f2330f5f79e3cd5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the next 5 nights I wild camp somewhere in north western Mongolia. One day I get into 3rd gear twice, another day I see 2 vehicles all day, I ride 5 miles up a dry river bed, get bogged down in mud holes, encounter a dust storm, I don't stand on a piece of tarmac for 6 days, never mind sit in a chair! Slide off 3 times in a massive storm, Cross rivers, ride through deserts, woodlands, steppe, you name it Mongolia's got it!. I even go off off road!
Will I make outta here...course I will it's a G/S !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 383
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 389
Every bloke at some point dreams of riding in to town after a hard day... Dusting himself down....sidling up to the only guest house.... Run by the best looking and only available gal in town... Who just happens to fancy you..... I've had this dream all day. It's been tough...7 hours to do 50 miles..... 3 river crossings...etc etc
Today ain't my day... The guest house I thought was here no longer exists. There's nothing.
Wild camp again... Over the brow of a hill I spot what might be a tourist... Check the number plate...it's 3 local blokes so I ride on and camp out of sight.
Headlights! It's the 3 blokes. They've come for a chat. It's midnight. I've put my bike jeans on back to front in my haste to get up! We chat in sign language and beers are shared round. I desperately try to weigh them up.
They leave after an hour and I'm frightened they might come back. If they come back to rob me I've got an old U lock with me that's definitely capable of bringing a man down. If it's the other... I open the saw on my leatherman and hide it iup my sleeve so I can cut my bonds if I don't like it....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 383
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 386
Folklore would have you believe that there's a friendly local waiting to help you at every tricky river crossing trying to earn a few quid. It's a fairy tale. Complete indifference is shown by MOST locals. There's 3 big Mongolian dogs greeting me at this one. One bites my boot twice.
Halfway across, and I can't see a way forward... Then I spot an old pop bottle that's obviously used as a marker.
I'm through! But not before moving that pop bottle 10 feet further along...😀

Attachments

• IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 385
The only way out of the mud holes is to put her on her side...right over! and fill the ruts in by hand before righting her.
Don't come on this adventure tour with ya big Panzer... I'm fully loaded with 600 Kms of fuel, 11 litres of water, 3 litres milk, 3 litres of oil, and enough Choco Pie to keep me going for 2 weeks.
If ya can't pick it up fully loaded, in the mud, stay in your hotel room. Nothing breaks and nothing falls off!
This is G/S country...

Attachments

• IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 388
My bike might not be a Range Rover but its definitely a Land Rover
🌘🌎🌔

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 381
Absolutely bloody brilliant, proper travel and a great advert for airheads...keep at it :thumb2

About the only thing you can get outside U.B. !
One shop had nothing to put on my bread.... No jam, honey, cheese....another didn't sell water....they just got it from the river.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 577
About the only thing you can get outside U.B. !
One shop had nothing to put on my bread.... No jam, honey, cheese....another didn't sell water....they just got it from the river.

Try them toasted over a Yak dung fire, lovely ;)

All that grief and distance to eat one of them.
They're ten for £1 in Asda. :D :D

Absolutely brilliant report with superb photos.....incredible stuff. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom