Impromptu trip to Mongolia

I was unlucky to get a tree root caught between the cylinder and crash bars... took 2 hours to get out of this... it took a while to realise what the problem was... so I had to reverse it first.. fortunately there was a free Touratech dead branch I was able to reach out to and use as a sidestand... although not currently listed in the catalogue it is widely available...

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 417
Some of the roads have bike lanes... created by the local sheperds on the latest chinese bikes

Attachments

• IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 411
I guess the armchair pundits are saying I've got too much stuff.
This is what I've got in the small left pannier. Nothing but bike parts. It is heavy. I've owned this bike for 32 years and emptied the shelf of everything I'd collected over the years and thought I might need to keep myself mobile. Diaphragms, ignition trigger, siphon pipe, coils, compressor, tubes. Don't forget it's 37 years and whilst cutting edge at the time it was designed in the 1970's.
And of course with original side opening panniers everything is accessible immediately. And they're easy to unclip, came free with the bike and are just as waterproof as the day I got them......
The disadvantage with hard luggage is you need a frame. Its rained and within half an hour I'd slid off 3 times. The rack fractured.
I only used the topbox for supplies and having secure extra space was a luxury when shopping for Choco Pies. I'm out of pies ...time to say goodbye to the box...it's heading for a new life on the Mongolian steppe....

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 411
We're flying to Ulaanbataar on Tuesday, our bikes are there. I'm looking at your photos half terrified of the shitty, muddy terrain/100m river crossings and half very much looking forward to seeing all the lovely scenery!:eek::bounce1

Great ride report and pics:thumb

We're flying to Ulaanbataar on Tuesday, our bikes are there. I'm looking at your photos half terrified of the shitty, muddy terrain/100m river crossings and half very much looking forward to seeing all the lovely scenery!:eek::bounce1

Great ride report and pics:thumb

How did you get your bikes there?

Great adventure Glynn. I see that road marked in red is denoted as an ‘M’ for motorway or as Mother of a track. Good luck

Attachments

• 0A57B10C-F2F7-4CB9-812D-AF5EBC14D4FB.jpeg
    0A57B10C-F2F7-4CB9-812D-AF5EBC14D4FB.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 377
My Dad once had a Portuguese phrase book that had a translation for " Help me I'm caught on barbed wire!"
But I think my L.P. book beats that ...it has a translation for "I hope your animals are fattening up nicely"

I've continually struggled with wi fi connections... hence some duplications.....and now I seem to have reached my data limit... you will have to make do with some text for a while... I'm not clever enough to put some photo links in yet!

Glynn Roberts
21 July at 23:35 ·
Back in the US! Back in the US! Back in the USSR!!!

The Bike Bar, Barnaul, Siberia, Russia. Sometime in July.

Monday.... I'm broken! ...... Completely broken!

Those barstewards at that bar have finished me off!
They've found a hotel for me, let me service my bike, bought me food, bought me beer.... I've had a Russian sauna, a ride out with the lads, and been to a family bbq.
I've seen 6.00am 4 times in a row!..... Well once it was a bit blurry....

Glynn Roberts
22 July at 00:10 ·
Decide to put the bike on the train and take the Trans Siberian myself to Moscow

It's a fact.... There never has been a murder on the Orient Express.... But I'm not so sure about the Trans-Siberian Express....

And that's it! A quick blast from Moscow. The adventure is over!
Home!
For those who were paying attention to the video... I pull out my sand collection and add a new trophy...
It's some mud from the Kumansukme-In swamp in Mongolia. Most of the mud holes you can comfortably blast through...
Not this one....! It nearly ripped the bars out of my hands as the front wheel got sucked down, closely followed by the rear. A mere 45 minutes to get out of this one...at one point I wasn't too hopeful.
I shan't forget it!

In the meantime... If you ever visit me, and I get out my sand collection you'll know it's your cue to leave...

In the meantime... If you ever visit me, and I get out my sand collection you'll know it's your cue to leave...

It'd go against the grain not to see it. :D

Brilliant report of an amazing and inspiring trip. :beerjug:

Glynn Roberts

The Bike Bar, Barnaul, Siberia, Russia. Sometime in July.

Ah ... the Bike Bar in Barnaul :thumby:

i-7VtH7fz-M.jpg

Enjoy

We're all watching Glynn ... there's nothin' out there that can't be fixed ;)

:beerjug:

Superb trip report & piccies ....:bow :bow :bow

Wow simply wow..

:thumb

Thank you so much guys for all your messages of support and the nice things you said!

Glynn

Mr Glynn,

I have a box of frogs here with your name on it :thumb2

Enjoyed that write up very much - different in so many ways . . . . . . . and thats just the writer :D

Thanks so much for sharing

SteveT

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom