R1100GS headlamp problem

Gecko

Reaction score
Any ideas why my headlamp has failed? Bulb has been changed twice and the high beam flash works on both new bulbs but I can't get dipped beam or high beam to come on and stay on. My auxiliary lights run from the parking light feed. When I switch the lights on , park light, dashboard lights, auxiliary light all come on but only high beam flash works.

I'm looking at the handlebar switch but it looks clean and feels like it is clicking into position as it always has.

Is there a relay I need to look at? Fuses all look fine.....:nenau

On my bike, the headlight switch ( low/high/flash) contacts got quite dirty and would not always light the bulb.
all of the current that the headlight bulb draws goes through a couple of tiny brass ball contacts in that switch, to be honest, its a pretty bad design.

proper fix is it wire relays to power the lights, my first and easy fix was to clean those contacts inside the hi/lo/flash switch.

Any ideas why my headlamp has failed? Bulb has been changed twice and the high beam flash works on both new bulbs but I can't get dipped beam or high beam to come on and stay on. My auxiliary lights run from the parking light feed. When I switch the lights on , park light, dashboard lights, auxiliary light all come on but only high beam flash works.

I'm looking at the handlebar switch but it looks clean and feels like it is clicking into position as it always has.

Is there a relay I need to look at? Fuses all look fine.....:nenau

On my bike, the headlight switch ( low/high/flash) contacts got quite dirty and would not always light the bulb.
all of the current that the headlight bulb draws goes through a couple of tiny brass ball contacts in that switch, to be honest, its a pretty bad design.

proper fix is it wire relays to power the lights, my first and easy fix was to clean those contacts inside the hi/lo/flash switch.

I'm looking at that left switch now too. The right hand one was my first suspicion but I've been going round in circles today with this because my multimeter was giving me false readings. I'm getting a new one tomorrow so I hope I'll find out where the problems lies. I took the left switch apart and cleaned it up but still not getting a dip or main beam other than on the flash....weird stuff electrickery !! :nenau

Okay forget about Multimeters!

What you need is a Sealey PPX PP1 or PP2

It tests continuity and also allows you to earth or to Power something at the flick of a rocker switch

but I've been going round in circles today with this because my multimeter was giving me false readings.

Okay forget about Multimeters!

What you need is a Sealey PPX PP1 or PP2

It tests continuity and also allows you to earth or to Power something at the flick of a rocker switch

Looks like a bit of kit I dodn't know I needed ...but wished I had. Thanks !!

Yup, that's what I reckon too. I've done some continuity testing on the wiring and it seems ok so it has to be the switch. I have a bot of time this weekend to mess with it some more and hopefully have it all back together. Thanks for the woring diagram. I have it in my Haynes workshop manual but it's nice to be able to zoom in and explore in better detail.

Back
Top Bottom