Getting new cams

leadfarmer

He / Him / That Fucker
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
Finally got round to getting the fork recall done on my GS today along with an annual service

Tried a K1600 while they did it

The service guy said my GS sounded rough, (rougher than normal as they all rattle a lot) so they’d popped the rocker covers off to have a look and the finish on the cams was not fantastic

Said he’d already sent request to BMW to replace the cams at their expense, when can I bring it back they will give me a loaner for the day ?

The bike is a couple of months out of garantie so I thought that was quite good really :thumb2

A bike just out of warranty shouldn't be needing new cams unless it's done mega miles.

A bike just out of warranty shouldn't be needing new cams unless it's done mega miles.

Indeed it shouldn’t, only done 12,500 km but I’ve heard of a few cases of duff cams, looks like mine’s one of them

It’s always been noisy but then they all are

I was happy that they picked it up and decided to fix it without me saying anything and with the bike out of warranty

Finally got round to getting the fork recall done on my GS today along with an annual service

Tried a K1600 while they did it

The service guy said my GS sounded rough, (rougher than normal as they all rattle a lot) so they’d popped the rocker covers off to have a look and the finish on the cams was not fantastic

Said he’d already sent request to BMW to replace the cams at their expense, when can I bring it back they will give me a loaner for the day ?

The bike is a couple of months out of garantie so I thought that was quite good really :thumb2

I wonder where the rest of the finish has ended up. :eek:

It might be a good idea to do a few extra oil changes when you get it back and see if the oil has excessive metal particles in it.

I wonder where the rest of the finish has ended up. :eek:

It might be a good idea to do a few extra oil changes when you get it back and see if the oil has excessive metal particles in it.

You may have a point there, It’s had oil and filter today, maybe they will change it again with the cams, I’ll ask

I read something about the 2015 GSW, over on Adv Rider- Re some having new cams fitted.

Read this on FB earlier about a 2016 GSA.

Takes the R1200 to Wollongong BMW City Coast motorcycles for 10,000k service yesterday. I asked them to check the right hand bank as it was a little tappety for my liking. 2 hours later the bike is back out in the car park in one peice. Was told by the service manger no work was done after they discovered wear and tear on all 4 cams , buckets, shims and valve train. $1500 worth of parts on order for both left and right banks as well as oil and filter. All under warranty. BMW did not hesitate to replace everything and on top of that I dont have to pay for oil and filter. Plus they upgraded the software in the ECU and the quickshifter works like a dream. Great service so far

I'm just pleased for you that BMW have agreed to do the repairs free of charge.

In the circumstances I think it is entirely justified, I thought these engines were well proven.

I'm just pleased for you that BMW have agreed to do the repairs free of charge.

In the circumstances I think it is entirely justified, I thought these engines were well proven.

I guess they got a batch of soft cams from a supplier, as with all motorcycle and car manufacturers most parts are actually produced by external suppliers

I am sure you are right but my point is that whoever actually makes the parts should ensure that they of sufficient quality to last a lot longer than yours did.

We shouldn't have to tolerate problems like this, perhaps BMW should be a bit choosier with their suppliers.

I hope the replacements are made better than the originals.

My cams were changed at 6000 miles on my 15 plate GS , had it back then the cam wheel fell of as the bolts sheared and scrapped the engine.

Well finally got the bike back, they said there is still a tiny bit of noise if you’re really picky about it so they’ve sent a report to BMW and are waiting to see what they say

It’s a hell of a lot quieter with the new cams and smoother too, from new it had a very slight vibration around 130kmh which has now disappeared

Seems slightly more perky too though that could be in my head

You may have a point there, It’s had oil and filter today, maybe they will change it again with the cams, I’ll ask

Just had mine done by Park Lane and they changed the oil and filter as part of the job.

My cams were changed at 6000 miles on my 15 plate GS , had it back then the cam wheel fell of as the bolts sheared and scrapped the engine.

That sounds like the new bolts were overtightened, or they re-used the original stretch bolts instead of replacing.

Back
Top Bottom