Tried a brand new RT...

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...keeping the Street Glide. What is it about these bikes that makes you love them despite their failings? Character? I guess so.

Loved the three-hour blast on this, but ultimately not as much pull on the heart strings:

c75195acdaea102ab80f3c7146af1780.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Very good at going from A to B in comfort..... but will you look back at it when parked.......??

I went the other way - tried a street glide and could not wait to hand it back.

I get the whole Harley bit - but the bikes are agricultural, expensive, poorly handling, and not for me - but it would be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff, and a range of diversity in all things is a good thing. I can't help but think their target audience is getting older and a younger more discerning one is not going to take up the slack - I could see them decline over the next 10/15 years if they don't sort it out.

James

Yes, good thought, twizz. The RT was quite an attractive thing with its special seat (option 716, or something), hand painted pinstriping (really!) and deep blue metallic finish, but a bit too "designer" in appearance, if that makes sense.

I went the other way - tried a street glide and could not wait to hand it back.

I get the whole Harley bit - but the bikes are agricultural, expensive, poorly handling, and not for me - but it would be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff, and a range of diversity in all things is a good thing. I can't help but think their target audience is getting older and a younger more discerning one is not going to take up the slack - I could see them decline over the next 10/15 years if they don't sort it out.

James
EU tariffs on Harleys should see them all rise in value Invest in one now!

Last week I got off the RT and on to a Street glide. I cannot remember much about the ride, my mind was wandering as I plodded along.
The Ultra on the other hand I loved, I could have stayed on it for a week.
The RT is the bike I never considered or test rode but bought one and I love it, it took a few weeks though.

Yes, good thought, twizz. The RT was quite an attractive thing with its special seat (option 716, or something), hand painted pinstriping (really!) and deep blue metallic finish, but a bit too "designer" in appearance, if that makes sense.

That seat certainly looks.....er.....special !

Looked at a fat bob today whilst waiting for my GS to be serviced ( dealers are next door)

First 3 things I noticed were the headlight cowl looked home made, somebody’s trousers were melted all over the exhaust and the rear brake master cylinder and reservoir were poking out in front of the feet forward brake pedal :blast

Stopped looking at it after that

Looked at a fat bob today whilst waiting for my GS to be serviced ( dealers are next door)

First 3 things I noticed were the headlight cowl looked home made, somebody’s trousers were melted all over the exhaust and the rear brake master cylinder and reservoir were poking out in front of the feet forward brake pedal :blast

Stopped looking at it after that

The new softails have some bizarre features.. the gear lever on the street bob looks like it fell off a Chinese 125 and the pillion pegs on the fat boy look an afterthought.

Last week I got off the RT and on to a Street glide. I cannot remember much about the ride, my mind was wandering as I plodded along.
The Ultra on the other hand I loved, I could have stayed on it for a week.
The RT is the bike I never considered or test rode but bought one and I love it, it took a few weeks though.
Don't get me wrong, the RT is a brilliant bike. I used to have one and this one was better - a bit more power along with very good handling. I thought Gear Shift Pro was a bit pointless as the clutch is very light and good to use. Keyless - meh (as young folk say).

At the end if the day, for Lynn and me, it lacked some character whereas, for us, the Street Glide tickles our fancy - ooer

The new softails have some bizarre features.. the gear lever on the street bob looks like it fell off a Chinese 125 and the pillion pegs on the fat boy look an afterthought.

i dont do pillion on my 2018 Fatboy so for the exact reason you state...i undid the two bolts and removed them, fugly ucking things.

i dont do pillion on my 2018 Fatboy so for the exact reason you state...i undid the two bolts and removed them, fugly ucking things.

1st thing I would do as well... plus a Solo seat!!

I bought a new CVO Road King in 2014, did 14k on it. Then I bought a RT as well. The CVO never got ridden again, so sold it, each to their own. Plus you can sell your chaps as well :)

I bought a new CVO Road King in 2014, did 14k on it. Then I bought a RT as well. The CVO never got ridden again, so sold it, each to their own. Plus you can sell your chaps as well :)
Haha. Yeah, I get that. I loved my last RT and I can see me getting one again. It was like a lightweight racer compared to the Street Glide. But there was that character that the Glide has which made us both decide to stay with it for another year. I'm going to put some Pirelli Night Dragons on it which many people say makes it faster steering whilst staying stable. And no, I'm not trying to turn it into a sportsbike

Chaps... What ever possesses our mercan cousins to wear those monstrosities? Mind you, they are a help when you need a pee, apparently.

I just traded my RT in for a 2018 Heritage Classic

As brilliant as the RT is, I really only need my bike for local trips and the odd 'for the fun of it' blast.. the RT isn't a bike I run to for a dose of riding fun. The Heritage, however is an 'event' whenever you ride it, much like my 2016 Slim that I sold last year.

And for me, that's the thing - Harley's are for the fun of it. They're not an 'everyday' bike necessarily, but every ride feels special and everyone turns their head to look at it.

They do feel special.

I just traded my RT in for a 2018 Heritage Classic

As brilliant as the RT is, I really only need my bike for local trips and the odd 'for the fun of it' blast.. the RT isn't a bike I run to for a dose of riding fun. The Heritage, however is an 'event' whenever you ride it, much like my 2016 Slim that I sold last year.

And for me, that's the thing - Harley's are for the fun of it. They're not an 'everyday' bike necessarily, but every ride feels special and everyone turns their head to look at it.

They do feel special.

Indeed, they truly are sad individuals.

Back
Top Bottom