Torn seat.

Mac One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I decided to nip out and fuel up my bike yesterday and the boots i was wearing were the type with the open lace up hooks at the top.

When i was getting off the bike one of the hooks caught the pillion seat and caused a small L shaped tear. :blast

I feel it would be a bit of a waste to discard the seat. Has anyone had a repair done to a seat and how successful was it?

Is there a better option (other than duct tape or replacing the seat)?

The bike is a 2011 gsa, the damage is on the flat top section of the seat, and it's a standard vinyl seat.

I'd welcome any thoughts/suggestions, thanks.

Take it to a seat upholsterer. They can probably glue a patch on the back of the tear but the vinyl cover will have to come off. If a repair is possible, it can't be done under tension.

It's also a great excuse to have the seat re-covered.

PS: I'm too short in the leg to "mount" the bike with left foot on the ground. The side stand is more than up to the task. I use the left footrest and get on as I would a horse. I have never caught a boot on the GS seat though other bikes always ended up with muddy marks across the seat.

Check out the gliptone leathercare website, they sell kits to repair and re-dye leather so might cover vinyl. Used their kit to repair the leather in my audi, invisible repairs.

As said earlier a good upholsterer will be able to do it, google?

Al.

Thank you all, for your suggestions and taking the time to reply.

Obviously it's not urgent so i'll consider whether to get it repaired locally, or as Big Lad suggested, post it out. :thumby:

Bendy I mount the same way as you, but do you have any problem with the side stand bush wearing ? I weigh 80 kg plus heavy gear. The bikes a GSW.

Sorry for the off topic post.

Ps Mac one, mind you don’t catch a loose lace somewhere around the pegs. It happened to a friend, he pulled up a could not get his foot down, and over he went.

Bendy I mount the same way as you, but do you have any problem with the side stand bush wearing ? I weigh 80 kg plus heavy gear. The bikes a GSW.
My side stand bush has also worn but I think it’s vibration fretting. The arm has not bent abnormally and the bracket is normal.
Sorry for the off topic reply. ;)

Ps Mac one, mind you don’t catch a loose lace somewhere around the pegs. It happened to a friend, he pulled up a could not get his foot down, and over he went.

Knarly boots and knarly pegs do the same trick. The old ones with tyre tread soles were fine. The properly protective goretex adventures catch the footrests.

Sorry for the off topic post.

Thanks for the heads up.....almost had the same result with deep tread boots once.

Back
Top Bottom