R1100gs and short legs

ssray

Reaction score
I'm 5ft8 with about a 30inch inside leg, the gs is a bit big for me, I have had equally high seated bikes(xt600 tenere, africa twin) but they had narrow seats.
Looking at options to lower it a bit.
Am I best having the seat redone or a 17inch front wheel?
I understand I could use shocks from an rt etc but this may reduce cornering clearance
Best place to start?

Are you aware that the seat has a choice of mounting heights ?

Yep on its lowest, its the width not the height really, can't see much in the way of padding on the sides of the seat though

Same inside leg as me, and I normally ride with the seat in the high position unless I'm two up with luggage.

I seem to remember Touratech or Wunderlich did a lower seat for the 1100 (and you'd probably want lower pegs with that setup), but if that doesn't help I would say shorter shocks would be the go - maybe Wilbers- that way even if you lost a bit of cornering clearance you'd keep the original geometry more or less.

I assume you've wound down the ride height - I can pretty much get both feet flat on the floor like that, although the steering suffers so I have it so that I can get a foot down leaning over slightly, which I think is normal for many GS riders..

On the 1100GS re drilling the rear shock mount 18mm higher up the shock lowers the seat height by about 65mm...... but you will need to get the side and centre stands shortened if you do this.

Hyperpro springs 30mm lower

Replaced the front and rear springs on my R1150GS with Hyperpro springs 30mm lower to suit my 29" inside leg. No need to change centre stand or side stand.

Replaced the front and rear springs on my R1150GS with Hyperpro springs 30mm lower to suit my 29" inside leg. No need to change centre stand or side stand.
Re drilling the lower shock mount 10mm higher (on the 1100GS only) will do the same, and it’s free.

Try a pair of noddy holders old boots , cum on feel the noize

Back
Top Bottom