Need something lower for me and the Mrs.

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a big off on the motorway last year and that has left me with limited movement and strength, so my 1150 Adv is too big and heavy now, even though I am 'doing it back up' repairing the damage and the current Mrs says NOT to sell it, but keep it and just use it occassionally when I feel up to it. BUT, she can't get on it due to the height and me not being able to hold it up when she gets on/off.

I have a little 650 single (Xcountry), which we have had a few ride outs on to get both me and her back in the saddle and in the way of riding again. It is fine for me solo, but it doesn't have grunt with 2 up and is too small physically for us to be comfortable on. SO, long-winded intor I know, we are looking for a lower road orientated bike that is simpler and easier to maintain. I had an RS for many years that I sold to get the 1150, we put 334,000 miles on that bike, but I know the narrow and low bars aren't going to be any good for me now. Thinking more in the way of a naked bike too, rather than a fairing because of storage, weight and ease of manhandling/manoevering - the fairing is always a bloody nuisance when trying to move the thing around. It always was one of my bugbears. I had a 100CS at the same time too (put quite a few miles on that one) without the fairing and it had more steering lock and was just a much easier bike to move about.

Thoughts from the collective please, because our minds are going down the route of a 75/5 or 6 or possibly a 90/6. Not looking for any 'S' type models with the extra performance - we are now 'mobile chicane' riders who prefer to look over the hedge rather than at the road.... ideas for a 'light weight' along those lines for a 2-up bimble bike. Experiences, pros and cons of our shortlist. Why not an '80' series? - not seen anything in '80' models we like! Carbs and Boyer Brandson I can look after, this new fangled 'plug-it-in' fuel injection might be technofantastic, but I can't sort it and electrics are just coloured spaghetti to me! So going back to springs, levers and mechanical methods. :thumb2

I know some guys recon the 90/6 was a cracking bike, but equally I know people who have sung the praises of the 75s...all of them were owners of said bikes, so they are bound to have a bias. What do others think please? (We are not buying a Honda!).

R80 ST?

Would fit your brief - Totally mechanical apart from elec ignition. About as tough as a hammer and can be fixed with one. Better road manners than a G/S of the same era. Rare, going up in value, but still cheap. for 2 up Upgrade it to 1000 cc for extra grunt maybe. Bigger front disc perhaps.

Whats not to like!

R80 ST?

Would fit your brief - Totally mechanical apart from elec ignition. About a tough as a hammer and can be fixed with one. Better road manners than a G/S of the same era. Rare, going up in value, but still cheap. for 2 up Upgrade it to 1000 cc for extra grunt maybe. Bigger front disc perhaps.

Whats not to like!

Very good suggestion. R80ST would fit your needs to a tee.

Hmm - for our riding the bigger engine not needed. A 75 will be strong enough (she's a hippo, not an heffalump!) Might suit. I shall look to see what is about. Thank you.

Thoughts on the 75 series and the 90/6 suggestions (she likes the styling on them, and decor is important!)

I have a 90/6, works well for me, make sure it has twin discs and change the MC to a 13mm one. It will then stop.
60 mpg, been all over Europe on it. Now increasing in value as not many good ones left,
I also have a lowered last of the twin cam 1200rs and that’s a cracking bike as well!

Charles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't read our requirements did you?
NO ELECTRONIC CRAP INJECTION RUBBISH.......and certainly not a 1200. I will catch the bus rather than ride a 1200. :blast

I decided to ignore your stated requirements and give you a couple good alternative suggestions anyway. I have an airhead and an R1200R, it's the latter you need, you just can't bring yourself to admit it. :D

I know it's EFI but what about an F800 GS, they seem to be super reliable and lightweight. I can understand your aversion to electronics though, after recently rebuilding my carbs I can say that something that once seemed like a dark art now seems quite basic and easy to fix. Two up on an 80, wouldn't you want the extra bit of grunt that an 100 can offer for very little weight gain?

Forgot to add in my earlier post - the ST was considered at the time to be the best handling BMW by a good margin, certainly better road manners than some of the earlier BM's you have mentioned.

Airhead ignitions are not "electronic" - the advance is still mechanical and the black box is simply an amplifier for the pulse from the hall sensor - at one time the same box was fitted to Holden cars here in Oz so there is nothing special about them.
Anyway the OP has stated he can handle a basic system like a Boyer which are perhaps slightly more advanced than a Hall sensor system .
And another vote for a ST - either a R80 or a F650 , there is plenty of room on my Funduro for two, and with a 16/49 gearing it pulls strong enough for two too.

If the ST is anything like the G/S it is based on, then it will be somewhat cramped two up.

I know it's EFI but what about an F800 GS, they seem to be super reliable and lightweight. I can understand your aversion to electronics though, after recently rebuilding my carbs I can say that something that once seemed like a dark art now seems quite basic and easy to fix. Two up on an 80, wouldn't you want the extra bit of grunt that an 100 can offer for very little weight gain?

It’s a bit tall......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Rat: I have an '82 R100 that I use for 2 up travel, both for day trips and fully kitted out with luggage. It ticks your requirements as regards non techno, your pillion will find it lower to mount than a GS and will be roomier than a G/S or ST. The 980cc engine also is more favourable, I find, for travelling two up. I also have a /5 (an R60) but the R100 really is the better bike due to the dual Brembo's up front and also the extra torque. I also have a '92 GS which is a great bike but the older, twin shock R100 feels like a more "relaxed" bike, if that makes any sense !

38557423301_a1348b8456_b.jpg

Just my 2p worth..... how about a R100R (Either a Mystic or a classic)
Basic, carbed, big enough for 2 persons, twin discs at the front.
And it looks good too IMHO.

Ride safe

If the ST is anything like the G/S it is based on, then it will be somewhat cramped two up.

There’s the rub, anything light will be rather small, it’s whether he can live with small,

Me and my wife used to tour on a fazer600, and the G/s / ST is bigger though no heavier,

Modern and light, F650/700, Yamaha 700, bonneville, Guzzi 750, vstrom 650

Old then maybe the funduro, r650,

Depends what you want a bike for, and what you’re prepared to compromise on.

R80/7 or an R100/7.
Fit higher bars and a screen for more comfort and relaxed riding all day long.

King Rat: I have an '82 R100 that I use for 2 up travel, both for day trips and fully kitted out with luggage. It ticks your requirements as regards non techno, your pillion will find it lower to mount than a GS and will be roomier than a G/S or ST. The 980cc engine also is more favourable, I find, for travelling two up. I also have a /5 (an R60) but the R100 really is the better bike due to the dual Brembo's up front and also the extra torque. I also have a '92 GS which is a great bike but the older, twin shock R100 feels like a more "relaxed" bike, if that makes any sense !

38557423301_a1348b8456_b.jpg

Nice pic, is that the little bit looking out to sea between fountainstown and myrtleville?

Back
Top Bottom