Need something lower for me and the Mrs.

R80/7 or an R100/7.
Fit higher bars and a screen for more comfort and relaxed riding all day long.

And thoughts the 90/6? Not dismissing your suggestions here by any means - but she has seen one and likes the 'shape' and the comfort of the saddle.
The 80ST suggestion was met by two word answer: 'that's yuk' and she didn't like the thought of the hot exhaust against her leg either. Shrouded or not. That angular tank didn't make it past the aesthetic test.

Thanks for your inputs, budget isn't unlimited, hence the narrow thoughts - and longevity needs to be brone in mind too. We normally don't change our bike every 20 years, it has to last longer than that! The 1150 is nice, but too electrickery for me - and Steptoe is 240 miles away. It is worth the ride, but something a little more, relaxed, is what we're after - so the Irish R100 comments are exactly the sort of riding we are about - just a bimble by most peoples' standards. 60 mpg sounds attractive, braking prowess is also a consideration, so the twin disc thoughts had already crossed my mind (hence the /6 suggestion as opposed to the drum earlier ones).
I have been given the heads up about a one owner from new airhead down south....it hasn't been advertised anywhere, the owner has just mentioned he might sell it as he hasn't used it yet this year and doesn't think he'll be able to - poor health creeping up (on all of us, eventually) it would seem.

Non BMW suggestions are also welcome, but they must be long term reliable and the kind of solid build these old airheads were known for. I know they are getting on, but my RS and CS100s were fantasticly reliable, just a bit rortier than we need. So the slightly detuned versions are fine now.

I know it's EFI but what about an F800 GS, they seem to be super reliable and lightweight. I can understand your aversion to electronics though, after recently rebuilding my carbs I can say that something that once seemed like a dark art now seems quite basic and easy to fix. Two up on an 80, wouldn't you want the extra bit of grunt that an 100 can offer for very little weight gain?

Tried the 800 - too heavy and too tall.

You'll laugh at this. We looked at a plastic maggot, and a V50...but just too small capacity for lugging two we felt. I like V-twins, the 180-degree V twin has done us proud in the past.

The Moto Guzzi Brevia 750 was/is the nearest thing to an airhead you can buy today, and it has/ had a nice low and comfortable seats too.
Our local dealer could sell all the importer would let him have, and he rarely had and back in the showroom, so they must have been doing the job people bought them to do, which probably was relaxed, comfortable touring.
Dont know if they are still around new, I think the Oz importer stopped bringing them in because he wasn't selling many of the bigger, more expensive models.
Worth a look.

I haven't heard of the Brevia - is it a modern Guzzi or an old one? I'll look it up. But the way Italian bikes are going over here probably too rich. The T3s are fetching silly money.

R80/7 or an R100/7.
Fit higher bars and a screen for more comfort and relaxed riding all day long.

/\ This.
I had an R80/7 for a few years and while i claim Guzzis to be my first love - i have to admit the R80/7 was the best all rounder i've ever had.
Get a well looked after one and it will do everything you need.
Easy to work on, easy to understand and better built than anything made today.
Good Luck.

+1 for the R100R, good brakes, good suspension, high bars, decent pillion seat (unlike the Mystic), tubeless rims, monoshock and still mechanical enough to be self maintained.
Upgrade the charging system, add luggage and a screen if desired and you're all set.
Having said that my missus prefers the 90/6 purely because it has that beautiful american back rest (which I remove when she's not onboard :p )

I haven't heard of the Brevia - is it a modern Guzzi or an old one? I'll look it up. But the way Italian bikes are going over here probably too rich. The T3s are fetching silly money.

The Brevia are an ok bike, no longer made though, look at a Moto Guzzi V7, it’s essentially the same bike only better styled, reasonably reliable, light weight, and still a current model

Try the bonneville, it’s like a big 125, light and decent to ride, rear shocks are shockingly bad, but twin shocks are easy to replace.

And thoughts the 90/6? Not dismissing your suggestions here by any means - but she has seen one and likes the 'shape' and the comfort of the saddle.
The 80ST suggestion was met by two word answer: 'that's yuk' and she didn't like the thought of the hot exhaust against her leg either. Shrouded or not. That angular tank didn't make it past the aesthetic test.

Thanks for your inputs, budget isn't unlimited, hence the narrow thoughts - and longevity needs to be brone in mind too. We normally don't change our bike every 20 years, it has to last longer than that! The 1150 is nice, but too electrickery for me - and Steptoe is 240 miles away. It is worth the ride, but something a little more, relaxed, is what we're after - so the Irish R100 comments are exactly the sort of riding we are about - just a bimble by most peoples' standards. 60 mpg sounds attractive, braking prowess is also a consideration, so the twin disc thoughts had already crossed my mind (hence the /6 suggestion as opposed to the drum earlier ones).
I have been given the heads up about a one owner from new airhead down south....it hasn't been advertised anywhere, the owner has just mentioned he might sell it as he hasn't used it yet this year and doesn't think he'll be able to - poor health creeping up (on all of us, eventually) it would seem.

It all sounds so similar to me - I had the same considerations and factors. I chose a post '80 R100 mainly because they come with the bean can ignition setup (as opposed to points) and the Brembo dual brakes. This means that the master cylinder is mounted on the handlebars instead of under the tank such as the ATE type. I also prefer the lighter flywheel and the clutch feels so much lighter on these models too (I find). The Krauser panniers are a bonus for travel.

40940033460_c9471cc78e_b.jpg

How about this ?

how to screenshot on windows 7

Yours for £6250

A fantastic easy to ride bike, heavy though, at 240kgs, I just mot’d mine yesterday, just in time for the Pennine Guzzi rally this coming weekend, you don’t miss the agricultural gears of an old Guzzi, or using the clutch :augie

It is the most comfortable bike I ever owned.

Sorry to hear about your crash and subsequent dilemma.

Early TDM 850 - carbed, Light, tall but not too high seat, very reliable with comfort and power for 2 up riding - There is a following for TDMs in general now and due to their reliability there are still plenty around - also a good forum group.

Of the beemers the post R100 looks nice. I’ve always fancied a K75 but I suspect they’re fuel injected.

Good luck :beerjug:

Seconded for the TDM.

Alternatively, early Deauville. Damned comfy and weight nice and low. Not as powerful as some, though.

I had a big off on the motorway last year and that has left me with limited movement and strength, so my 1150 Adv is too big and heavy now, even though I am 'doing it back up' repairing the damage and the current Mrs says NOT to sell it, but keep it and just use it occassionally when I feel up to it. BUT, she can't get on it due to the height and me not being able to hold it up when she gets on/off.

I have a little 650 single (Xcountry), which we have had a few ride outs on to get both me and her back in the saddle and in the way of riding again. It is fine for me solo, but it doesn't have grunt with 2 up and is too small physically for us to be comfortable on. SO, long-winded intor I know, we are looking for a lower road orientated bike that is simpler and easier to maintain. I had an RS for many years that I sold to get the 1150, we put 334,000 miles on that bike, but I know the narrow and low bars aren't going to be any good for me now. Thinking more in the way of a naked bike too, rather than a fairing because of storage, weight and ease of manhandling/manoevering - the fairing is always a bloody nuisance when trying to move the thing around. It always was one of my bugbears. I had a 100CS at the same time too (put quite a few miles on that one) without the fairing and it had more steering lock and was just a much easier bike to move about.

Thoughts from the collective please, because our minds are going down the route of a 75/5 or 6 or possibly a 90/6. Not looking for any 'S' type models with the extra performance - we are now 'mobile chicane' riders who prefer to look over the hedge rather than at the road.... ideas for a 'light weight' along those lines for a 2-up bimble bike. Experiences, pros and cons of our shortlist. Why not an '80' series? - not seen anything in '80' models we like! Carbs and Boyer Brandson I can look after, this new fangled 'plug-it-in' fuel injection might be technofantastic, but I can't sort it and electrics are just coloured spaghetti to me! So going back to springs, levers and mechanical methods. :thumb2

I know some guys recon the 90/6 was a cracking bike, but equally I know people who have sung the praises of the 75s...all of them were owners of said bikes, so they are bound to have a bias. What do others think please? (We are not buying a Honda!).

Just my 2p worth..... how about a R100R (Either a Mystic or a classic)
Basic, carbed, big enough for 2 persons, twin discs at the front.
And it looks good too IMHO.

Ride safe

It comes to us all eventually; the time when you end up with more flies on the back of your helmet than the front:D. My mate has had more BM'S than you could shake a stick at; but the one he would never sell, would be the Mystic, his go anywhere any time airhead. Impresive milage by the way.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom