Vibey 1200 adv

Big Jets

Reaction score
My mates just purchased a 1200adv 2013 25000 on the clock he is finding the bike very vibey through the footpegs in all gears ,I haven't personally ridden his bike but he says its pretty intolerable .Any ideas or is that the way they are :beerjug:

It's all a matter of opinion

What bike has he come from?

If you have experience of how they ride, and you're local to him, then probably best if you ride it first :thumb2

It's all a matter of opinion

What bike has he come from?

If you have experience of how they ride, and you're local to him, then probably best if you ride it first :thumb2

Ive never been on a 1200 only my 1150 so no idea hes also got a 2014 v strom1000.The bikes under bmw warranty think he better take it back to them again in case theres someit not quite right

Check the rear wheel balance. Many bike tyre fitters don't bother but the wheel will fit on a car wheel balancer machine.

Also check the drive shaft which may have knackered UJs. That should be a warranty issue but best to know than get fobbed off.

Does it rattle in neutral then go quiet when clutch lever is pulled? Along with the vibration, that could indicate an input shaft bearing issue.

It could also be a mistimed cam idler gear but that's not an easy diagnosis.

I assume he means engine vibration in all gears ?

These bikes are VERY sensitive to throttle balance. If not well adjusted, the vibration is felt both through the bars and the footpegs. I've spent a fair bit of time going through my own bike getting valve clearances spot on, throttle butterflies synchronised throughout the rev range from 1100-5500 rpm, and put a large dose of Techron fuel system cleaner in the fuel before giving the bike a thorough "enthusiastic" ride. It no longer vibrates through the footpegs and fuels crisply again.

A good BMW tech that knows their stuff should be able to sort your friends bike.

I'd suspect that due to the time and attention needed to set up properly for smoothest running (time is money), dealers let bikes sold go out of the front door and then only fettle the ones that are brought back by unhappy owners.

Back
Top Bottom