Clunk from forks 1190

Big Jets

Reaction score
Got a 1190 with a hell of a clunk coming through the front end feels like the right hand fork up at the top yoke, bikes warranty runs out in November, 2000 miles all on road .Ktm dealer is telling me the suspension is not covered by the warranty its wear and tear .Anybody had a problem with the WP electronic forks .Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

well documented fault this one - Head Bearings need a Nip up.... google it... effecting WP forks on KTM and Triumph...

Cheers Twizzle Ive had the font ent off the deck feeling for play in the steering head everything felt fine .Ill give it another try cheers

Gooogled it Twizzle .The clunk does come with heavy braking,interesting to see bikes being fixed under warranty

I have a similar knock on my 2017 1290s, with 3500 miles, will have to give the supplying dealer a ring (i bought the bike 2nd hand privatley) see what they say.

I have a similar knock on my 2017 1290s, with 3500 miles, will have to give the supplying dealer a ring (i bought the bike 2nd hand privatley) see what they say.

Someone else on here had the same issue on a similar mileage SAS and it was the head bearings.

Probably the head bearings loose. 10 minute job.

As for the suspension not being covered....at 2000 miles :rolleyes:

Probably the head bearings loose. 10 minute job.

As for the suspension not being covered....at 2000 miles :rolleyes:

I know hard to believe total lack of interest in the problem ,very disappointed. Thanks for the heads up chaps Ill get on the case

Change dealer (if you can)

I would not have two KTM's if I did not have faith in my dealer.

At the very least provide some advice and guidance and with 2k on the clock, or maybe an offer to have a quick to see if it is an issue they are familiar with / give an estimate on what needs doing to solve it - and if down to a known common fault I would expect some goodwill from the dealer / KTM to resolve it either for bugger all, or at a reduced rate, the latter is probably fair enough if you did not buy it from them yourself.

No Im the Only Owner bought from new from Fowlers ,unfortunately its my local dealer who does not want to know

Had it on my 1190 and 1290! It's your head race bearings.

Ive just had my 1290 serviced ...

'can you check the head bearings please, I think they need nipping up - quite a clunk there'

'well we looked at your head bearings and thought they were fine - it's probably your floating discs, but we've nipped the bearings up anyway'

Problem completely gone.

Do these people not ride bikes?! It was so obvious even a chimp like Norfolk Tiger would have diagnosed it ... :rolleyes:

Got a 1190 with a hell of a clunk coming through the front end feels like the right hand fork up at the top yoke, bikes warranty runs out in November, 2000 miles all on road .Ktm dealer is telling me the suspension is not covered by the warranty its wear and tear .Anybody had a problem with the WP electronic forks .Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

KTM were great when I had a leaking fork seal on a 390 even though it turned out to be a scratched fork leg which may/may not have been there before I bought it used from Premier Bikes.

They can’t wash their hands of a problem simply because it’s suspension related. It’s only covered 2,000 miles which in my view is not fit for purpose.

No Im the Only Owner bought from new from Fowlers ,unfortunately its my local dealer who does not want to know

Why not phone Fowlers where you bought it from? You often get a bit of attitude from dealers if you bought elsewhere because you got a better deal then expect the local one to do any warranty work and go through the hassle of getting the manufacturer to cough up the money. I’m not saying it’s right but with the mileage so low have you actually put any work in the direction of your local dealer?

It wasn't the head bearings on mine - dealer replaced the LH fork cartridge and things improved marginally but still remains the main issue with me on the bike. The engine makes up for it though!

Back
Top Bottom