1290 SAS vibes

Max's dad

Reaction score
Hi,

GSA gone after 18 months (great bike just a bit bland and heavy), hello new 1290 SAS. Loving every minute with one exception.

At around 4.5k revs there is a strange vibration resonance and noise over the bike which disappears as you move onwards through the rev range.

Doesn't affect footpegs or bars, seems to be mainly at the rear of bike. After a month of searching yesterday i worked out that the noise is the rear grab bars vibrating!! Basically if i sit in any gear at 4.5k rev I get vibey almost rattle noise, if i hold passenger grab bar firmly noise stops. Although i wouldn't fancy being a passenger holding them for any length of time as fingers would be buzzing in minutes.

So before i go to dealer and get the usual, oh they all do that, anybody experience anything similar?

My thoughts is that it is either missing some dampers on the grab rails from factory or need some fitting or something elsewhere is loose.

Not noticed this on my SAS - maybe worth loosening off some of the bolts and re tightening to see if it goes away or taking off the grab rails completely to see if it is really this causing the problem.

Assume your rear wheel is properly balanced?

Rear wheel balance did pop into my thoughts but it's a brand spanker, surely they would have picked that up before leaving the factory or on the pdi? What am i saying!! definitely worth a check.

I think you should go back to your GS, I will give you £8k for the SAS, a figure you should be happy with so you can justify selling it off quick to avoid any more of the huge KTM depreciation your BMW dealer must of warned you about.

Rear wheel balance did pop into my thoughts but it's a brand spanker, surely they would have picked that up before leaving the factory or on the pdi? What am i saying!! definitely worth a check.

I once had a brand spanker Superduke 990 with the wrong sized front discs fitted (10mm too small) - never assume anything ;)

Also I assume your chain is the correct tension - too tight could also cause a problem.

I think you should go back to your GS, I will give you £8k for the SAS, a figure you should be happy with so you can justify selling it off quick to avoid any more of the huge KTM depreciation your BMW dealer must of warned you about.

Try the depreciation on a fully loaded GSA TE at 19 month old!! BMW didn't warn me about that and definitely gave the worst trade in value to stay with them and swap to an XR.

Unfortunately knew and was prepared for a kicking on a part-ex, but hey ho you only live once.

OK then, dump the pillion and associated vibrating ancillaries, job done :)

Well, you need to go and get the bike sorted at Hilltop. (Well someone had to mention Hilltop sooner or later, all interesting threads do!) Grenade! :green gri

As always, well worth the cash, and my 1290 is loving it, which means I'm loving it. Try doing 60mph in 6th without HT. Deffo less vibes after too.

I know I'm right :beer: and anyone who doesn't agree with me needs their brain re-mapping.

Yes - mine does that but I can't say that I have noticed any noise. Perhaps the bolts are loose or the plastic is not centralised under the bolts/grab rail.

I haven't had a pillion on the bike yet but they would quickly suffer white finger!

Back
Top Bottom