So - 33 miles till empty

From bone dry mine takes about 35 litres. Run until it stops (with pump working correctly) is only 200 or 300 ml less.

Well, i bottled it at 30 miles beyond zero range as I was heading into scrotey moped land!

2010 hilltopped GS, 290 miles on a smidge over 21 litres. Almost 63mpg, although the computer reckoned 65.7!

Never again .. . . . .

All this talk of 63mpg and huge distances between refuelling makes me wonder if I'm riding the same bike. I rarely get better than around 40 odd mpg and usually see the warning light come on around the 140 / 150 mile range. I do use the acceleration but rarely cruise at high speed as I don't do too much motorway travel these days.....

More aggravating to me is the faff involved in refuelling; removing tank bags and stuff.

I remember back in the 70s there was a heavyweight cruiser called a Laverda (1000cc Triple) which had the tank filler cap situated in a corner of the fairing which meant that you could re-fuel without disturbing the tankbag and I wish that BMW had developed a similar system for the GS.

I remember back in the 70s there was a heavyweight cruiser called a Laverda (1000cc Triple) which had the tank filler cap situated in a corner of the fairing which meant that you could re-fuel without disturbing the tankbag and I wish that BMW had developed a similar system for the GS.

A great idea, they could put it on the high side of the tank when parked up on the side stand, allowing a rider to brim the tank when touring for maximum range.

(In reality, they'd probably fit it on the low side given the choice just to be awkward.)

All this talk of 63mpg and huge distances between refuelling makes me wonder if I'm riding the same bike. I rarely get better than around 40 odd mpg and usually see the warning light come on around the 140 / 150 mile range. I do use the acceleration but rarely cruise at high speed as I don't do too much motorway travel these days.....

I am exactly the same 40mpg average and light comes on at 160 almost without fail.

That's more normal for most GS'. I can get up to 60mpg when I'm bimbling along on empty roads in the US but generally get 45 ish over here on my GSA unless I'm in a hurry.

I'm always in a hurry but still get 45 ish mpg. (2008 Adv) Ive never seen more than low 50s mpg. TBH if I wanted to move slowly enough to see any better I'd be on a Honda Cub.

Love to thrash my Hilltopped 2012 GSA, runs smoother than ever, and getting 53mpg. And at 6’4” and 18+ stone she has to work hard to shift me along

How low can you go ? :D
I thought Id better fill up [ 1200GS LC] - 186 miles and 13.46 liters to refill worked out at 62,8 Miles/Gallon [wiki states 20 litres]

8bda140e6a42608ac4c28b0e440e14a9.png

How did you get the WC clocks to work on your hexhead ?

Is it a difficult mod to fit ?? :D

How low can you go ? :D
I thought Id better fill up [ 1200GS LC] - 186 miles and 13.46 liters to refill worked out at 62,8 Miles/Gallon [wiki states 20 litres]

That should give you another 68 miles to empty based on those stats!

Mine will run dry with 8 litres remaining. I’ve wondered about a second fuel pump. I have enough spares.

Back
Top Bottom