Two bare threads on rear hub

theop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On the top LHS of the rear drive hub, there are two bare (machined out and polished) unused screw threads. As if to receive a GS style rear fender/mudflap (which the RT doesn’t have). Does anyone know what they are there for? Being unused they d be a prime area for bubbling of the paint to start in the rear drive...

Probably that reason - just make one drive casting for several bikes

Spray it with a clear cavity wax or clean out with acetone and use clear lacquer in it.

I'd suggest you have had a GS Final Drive fitted to your bike at some stage. I had a non-GS (don't know what model) FD fitted to mine which didn't have the the lugs and holes on it...

I'd suggest you have had a GS Final Drive fitted to your bike at some stage. I had a non-GS (don't know what model) FD fitted to mine which didn't have the the lugs and holes on it...

I have the holes on my 2014 bike and its the original final drive, so one FD for all bikes. I have never done anything special to the holes and they are fine, no corrosion issues, bike has done 14k in all weathers in the last two years :)

I was wondering why on earth The Bear would come in here and start two threads about rear hubs! :blast

Sorry .

I have the holes on my 2014 bike and its the original final drive, so one FD for all bikes. I have never done anything special to the holes and they are fine, no corrosion issues, bike has done 14k in all weathers in the last two years :)

Perhaps they fit whatever they have on the shelf on the day of assembly, but they definitely make FDs without the lugs...

i-48kHFbv-L.jpg

You have the wrong bike in that picture. We are talking about the Wethead Final Drive.

Do you knew what bike the OP was talking about?

FFS it was in the RT sub forum, so it is a good guess its an RT, so thats a start. But hey ho, I'm not that bothered, if there are screw holes or not, But I don't "know" (not Knew) so maybe the OP will enlighten us shortly.

But another clue is "top left hand side" now if there are screw holes on your FD, they wouldn't be top left - would they!

Thank you all, and true, I did not specify that it is for an LC. Inadvertently I subconsciously must have assumed that all quality/paint issues exist with newer bikes.

I have now Acf50’d the hell out of those naked ally bits, let’s see how it goes. I wish someone would make a nice rear wheel fender for the bike... it’s interesting Pyramid, machine Art etc do not cater for the K, and RT bikes...

I wish someone would make a nice rear wheel fender for the bike... it’s interesting Pyramid, machine Art etc do not cater for the K, and RT bikes...

The Wethead RT has a fully protected insert to protect the rear shock, unlike the Wethead GS. So it doesn't need one of those rear wheel fenders (I think you are talking about a hugger).

Hi Mike, It didn't specify which model. However, because I am very familiar with the various RT and GS models, I knew that the holes he was talking about were exclusive to the Wethead models with the FD in the lefthand side.

Back
Top Bottom