Looking for collective thoughts and advice

Just check there is a gap between the pedal arm and the frame!... does not mater how big (think its 1mm in the book) coz if there isn't, this could be your problem...
Who said it was right to start with?....
easy check... will take 1 min to look.....

Will do.

Insert "and not assign to the too hard / too expensive pile" at the end of that sentence. I fear this is what is happening.

fc0e721ceab9f9bab47a6b26daedca01.png

I hope you are not right Andi. Can I ask... Are you a jumper? Your avatar is a photo of a friend of mine - the late Jeff Nebelkopf.

No anything higher than a pair of steps and I get a nose bleed, I came across the image the other day I think it was on Pinterest

My 2017 GSA is at 9,300 miles and I use my rear brakes dragging ALL THE TIME, for slowriding etc.

They still have a lot of life left.

What the hell you doing to yours?

Same for me, probably only ride at 80% but 10.5k, just dealer serviced & no advisory to change (still on original set of pads & regularly use the rear brake) not sure what your issue is but should last 6k min??

OP at the risk of rubbing salt into an already sore wound.

I just changed my rear pads and disk. They were on the bike at 15K I've just changed them at 30K and they had just a little material left. The disk though was well worn, though the impact driver I used to remove the bolts made very light work of it, so it may have been replaced once before...at 24K the dealer advised it to be changed, so could have been original.

How are you getting on with this?

The first set of rear pads on my 2014 GS LC were apparently 50% worn at the 6k service, but were virtually down to the metal 2k miles later in northern Italy after a few days in the Alps.

The replacement OE pads fitted by an Italian BMW dealer were supposedly 60% worn at the 12k service, but had only just gone below minimum thickness when I changed them at around 16k.

The replacement EBC pads were then apparently 60% worn at the 18k service, but were OK until about 23k miles.

So 7-8k miles seems to be the norm on my bike. I rarely use the rear brake, but nearly all my mileage is two-up on the twisty roads of the Yorkshire Dales, Lakes and North Pennines

Hi Phil, I'm now on my 3rd GS LC and all have been marginal with regard t rear brake pads. My daily journey is a 34 mile round trip of fast A roads with a fair few stop and starts. My first GS 13MY went metal to metal in 3700 miles. Following a discussion with the dealer Canons it was agreed that they would replace disc and pads. I did however point out to them that I would at least expect the pads to last from one service to the next and they agreed. Since I have kept a close eye and all three of my LC's 13MY, 15MY and my latest a 18MY seem to be marginal on rear pads. Clearly people who do much bigger miles ie motorway will likely get more miles as there is less braking however regardless of riding style 6000 or less is poor.

Had a discussion with the Had honcho at my dealers today. He seems to have listened & been empathetic. He says he is going to talk to BMW about the situation (and hopefully the woeful corrosion issues too!)

Back
Top Bottom