Spain, Nav6 saftey camera alerts

grimo

Reaction score
Probably been asked a thousand times before, going to Spain and have a nav 6 with speed camera installed.
Are the gps based alerts legal in Spain or are all types of speed camera warnings banned.

I would want to know when I am approaching an accident blackspot :augie so would take my chances and keep it turned on

As with most motoring offences, they are only illegal if you get caught. Worry more about:

Crossing unbroken white lines

Speeding

The drink-drive limit

Your limited knowledge of the sacking of the Spanish manager on the eve of the World Cup and its ramifications for the Spanish nation

Just check the AA Touring Tips site for info & download a pdf as required. https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/country-by-country

Seems like Spain is OK with GPS warnings, but not with radar detectors. Revenue cameras seem to be popping up everywhere too, along with some ferocious traffic calming, so my carefree Hayabusering days are parked well in the past.

Wapping mentions drink-drive limits. Given the all night partying that goes on, particularly at fiesta time, we have come across road blocks early morning, when everyone gets breathalised & has their docs checked. Also take care mid afternoon, when the 'Gentlemans Clubs' on the edge of some towns turn out - many are pissed as rats & drive accordingly.

The Spanish cops like sat navs to warn you of speed cameras - it makes people slow down. Which is the point of the operation, from their point of view.

Radar detectors and jammers, though, are illegal. If anyone still uses such things...

Guardia civil really do not care about whats on a sat nav, in their opinion, it is simple you screw up you pay on the spot, so every bridge is a possible hiding place for a radar gun.

Guardia civil really do not care about whats on a sat nav, in their opinion, it is simple you screw up you pay on the spot, so every bridge is a possible hiding place for a radar gun.
+1 Speeding and their attitude really change. I have found them really - biker friendly

Just check the AA Touring Tips site for info & download a pdf as required. https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/country-by-country

Seems like Spain is OK with GPS warnings, but not with radar detectors. Revenue cameras seem to be popping up everywhere too, along with some ferocious traffic calming, so my carefree Hayabusering days are parked well in the past.

Wapping mentions drink-drive limits. Given the all night partying that goes on, particularly at fiesta time, we have come across road blocks early morning, when everyone gets breathalised & has their docs checked. Also take care mid afternoon, when the 'Gentlemans Clubs' on the edge of some towns turn out - many are pissed as rats & drive accordingly.

All correct. However, be aware that there is a new breed of "safety camera". It's small (very small), portable, attaches easily to crash barriers but can be placed almost anywhere, and some are omnidirectional. Almost impossible to see until it's far too late. They aren't that common yet and are still under trial.

In Spain they also use helicopters (spectacular waste of resources IMHO) so be careful on a clear day. Helicopters are mostly used during the main migration days (July, Aug and national BH's).

Top Tip:

Wherever possible avoid autoroutes, motorways and mainline "N" roads (some lesser ones are OK). Use the back roads. Not only are they far more interesting, less populated and more fun but they will rarely, if ever, have any traffic cameras or police on them. The caveat being that sometimes they wait at the entrance and exit of villages but, if like me, you always go through built up areas with the respect they deserve (keeps them biker friendly too) then you won't have anything to worry about.

Attachments

• Trafico-Semana_Santa-Reportajes_293984552_70969895_1024x576.jpg
    Trafico-Semana_Santa-Reportajes_293984552_70969895_1024x576.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 553
Probably been asked a thousand times before, going to Spain and have a nav 6 with speed camera installed.
Are the gps based alerts legal in Spain or are all types of speed camera warnings banned.

I'm not sure about Spain, but when you enter France where the rules on disabling speed camera warnings apply, the Nav V automatically stops warning you of cameras in accordance with local law. It does still care about your safety though, so instead it warns of dangerous places which, no one can deny, happens to coincide with where sensible authorities would put the cameras. :)

All correct. However, be aware that there is a new breed of "safety camera". It's small (very small), portable, attaches easily to crash barriers but can be placed almost anywhere, and some are omnidirectional. Almost impossible to see until it's far too late. They aren't that common yet and are still under trial.

In Spain they also use helicopters (spectacular waste of resources IMHO) so be careful on a clear day. Helicopters are mostly used during the main migration days (July, Aug and national BH's).

Top Tip:

Wherever possible avoid autoroutes, motorways and mainline "N" roads (some lesser ones are OK). Use the back roads. Not only are they far more interesting, less populated and more fun but they will rarely, if ever, have any traffic cameras or police on them. The caveat being that sometimes they wait at the entrance and exit of villages but, if like me, you always go through built up areas with the respect they deserve (keeps them biker friendly too) then you won't have anything to worry about.

Bastardos!

Are well snails pace it is then, not that I would ride like a nutter anyway but it is fun every now and then.

Top Tip:

All good advice........:thumb

Strictly speaking the traffic department has to warn people. But was this means is you have to check daily on the TGD web site - here's today's: http://www.dgt.es/Galerias/el-trafico/INFORME_CINEMOMETROS_WEBv1.pdf

'Radar fijo' is a permanent speed camera whilst 'móvil' is obviously a temporary kit - or it bloody well should be obvious! Note that 'ambos' means 'both, i.e. both directions ...

Enjoy your day's reading, I'll stick to the stamp collection!

sometimes they wait at the entrance and exit of villages but, if like me, you always go through built up areas with the respect they deserve (keeps them biker friendly too) then you won't have anything to worry about.

Do you know how they tell you about where these are operating, apart from hair raising footage on RTVE every evening?

Simon

Strictly speaking the traffic department has to warn people. But was this means is you have to check daily on the TGD web site - here's today's: http://www.dgt.es/Galerias/el-trafico/INFORME_CINEMOMETROS_WEBv1.pdf

'Radar fijo' is a permanent speed camera whilst 'móvil' is obviously a temporary kit - or it bloody well should be obvious! Note that 'ambos' means 'both, i.e. both directions ...

Enjoy your day's reading, I'll stick to the stamp collection!

Do you know how they tell you about where these are operating, apart from hair raising footage on RTVE every evening?

Simon

No, I don't. I just keep looking in my mirrors and all about. They can spot you from quite some distance but being the land of the blue sky they are also relatively easy to spot for miles. Also, as I said, generally speaking they are only an issue (mainly/usually) at certain times of the year. They mainly operate on main routes to my knowledge, hence the advice of sticking to back roads.

No, I don't. I just keep looking in my mirrors and all about. They can spot you from quite some distance but being the land of the blue sky they are also relatively easy to spot for miles. Also, as I said, generally speaking they are only an issue (mainly/usually) at certain times of the year. They mainly operate on main routes to my knowledge, hence the advice of sticking to back roads.

Yup, that's what I thought, really the motorways around the big cities during the 'puentes' as you said a waste of money really, apart from footage of people doing totally stupid things but stupid people never watch TV - unless they're driving ...

Meanwhile, our home grown term of the day up here in Catalonia, courtesy of TV3 news:

http://www.ccma.cat/tv3/alacarta/te...s-de-250-quilometres-a-la-c-32/video/5772846/

For the rest of you, biker arrested after recording himself at 250 kph and then posting upon Youtube, etc. ...
Regs

Simon

He had a system which hid his numberplate from safety cameras also. The speeding (at those speeds, anyway) deserves revocation of his licence for a few years and then made to go through the whole process again to get it back. There is no excuse for endangering the lives of others (or your own so recklessly).

The system to hide your numberplate from the cameras....... the anti-establishment part of me quite likes that. I was encarcerated in a Catholic boarding school for 9 years; it was all religion, rules and procedures and it was very unforgiving of those who got caught transgressing so there has always been a part of me that likes to stick two fingers up to authority, especially when that authority is abused as it often is with speed cameras.

He had a system which hid his numberplate from safety cameras also. The speeding (at those speeds, anyway) deserves revocation of his licence for a few years and then made to go through the whole process again to get it back. There is no excuse for endangering the lives of others (or your own so recklessly).

The system to hide your numberplate from the cameras....... the anti-establishment part of me quite likes that. I was encarcerated in a Catholic boarding school for 9 years; it was all religion, rules and procedures and it was very unforgiving of those who got caught transgressing so there has always been a part of me that likes to stick two fingers up to authority, especially when that authority is abused as it often is with speed cameras.

I'm in that club, although it was not a boarding school ...

https://www.autopista.es/radares-dgt/articulo/mini-velolaser-56-ubicacion-carreteras-socialdrive

HTH

Sorry it's in Spanish. The gist is that they have published in a motoring mag the location of 56 of the 60 VELOLASER cinemometers that the GC have in their possession. This is where they "generally" place them when they use them. Of course, technically they might place them anywhere, but if they place them in these locations it's because they are accident spots or (contrary to what has been said earlier) to generate revenue and there are only so many places that they will be effective for these two reasons.

They are controlled remotely using the 3g/4g network. There are 4 pages, the locations begin on page 2 by province. If anyone is interested then PM me the relevant parts that interest you and I can translate for you. You will have to look on a map, however, to see the exact location, or the road.

I "may" if ever I have time, translate it, place links to google maps to show where and then publish but it looks like a lot of work and I don't have the time now that the busy summer period is upon us.

ATB,

Fred

Do the camera fines actually come to haunt folk back in Blighty?

I must have pinged a few French Cameras over the last decade or so, I must confess to not always checking my speedo to ensure I am bang on 56 mph, and my Mrs reckons she saw a camera go off as I went past last year, never heard a thing.

There were millions of cameras in the Dolomites, every village had 2 or 3, normally one at each end and another in the middle, and their speed limits go up and down constantly, with little apparent sense to where you can go at any particular speed, there is no way I did not trip some of these at some point on the trip.

I did get a couple sent home From Luxembourg, where they will do you for 3 kph over the limit, but the fines were cheap (@£42) so I paid them.

Back
Top Bottom