New rear ESA after 28k miles??

firefox or mct will rebuild esa shocks for £200 approx.

Firefox can service the shock but cannot supply replacement parts for it so if you have a component failure they can't help. My mate tried them before Tractive and that is what they told him. Not sure about MCT

Some shiny Ohlins goodness will do the trick...Or Wilbers... As long as it serviceable... The "premium" manufacturers have become ridiculous in both pricing replacement parts and supplying parts that cannot be reconditioned.
P.S You can always do a TMF and post an angry youtube video

ESA - the marketing mans dream
In reality they are the cheapest emulsion shocks with a stepper motor

Nothing premium about ESA

I tried a new 18 GSA on Weds with ESA
And the suspension was horrible - harsh and choppy

I am an Ohlins man and you come to value good suspension

Shock failure is becoming more common. So it looks like we have to budget £2700 at 30k miles for replacement shocks ?

We're ripped off with just a 2 yr guarantee as it is. To know that spending 460 quid a year on extended warranty doesn't cover you for shocks over 30K means may as well trade-in before that time.

Some expensive running down the line for second hand owners.

Did they fail a often on previous generation shocks?

Bikes are more expensive and the only way to reduce the impact is keep the bike longer or buy second user. This could well affect used values...

My next bike "if" a BMW will be basic with no ESA.

Would you really want to purchase a three year old ESA bike with 28K mileage on original shocks... knowing that you could potentially have a 2k plus bill looming... Yes there are 2nd user shocks.. not the point though is it.

Both my TC shocks failed at 24K, but well outwith any reasonable warranty period, I was offered a discount after I complained but even with a not insignificant discount it was cheaper and superior to fit wilbers

ESA - the marketing mans dream
In reality they are the cheapest emulsion shocks with a stepper motor

Nothing premium about ESA

I tried a new 18 GSA on Weds with ESA
And the suspension was horrible - harsh and choppy

I am an Ohlins man and you come to value good suspension

You're comparing chalk and cheese then so fairly pointless, and how much do you value quality suspension? Not enough to consider how a GSA LC might perform so equipped it would seem :nenau
My GS Rallye with sport suspension and ESA 2 rides a sight better than my 14 plate ESA equipped GSA ever did,
if I kept my bikes long term I think I would invest in quality suspension, probably Wilbers ESA units.

You're comparing chalk and cheese then so fairly pointless, and how much do you value quality suspension? Not enough to consider how a GSA LC might perform so equipped it would seem :nenau
My GS Rallye with sport suspension and ESA 2 rides a sight better than my 14 plate ESA equipped GSA ever did,
if I kept my bikes long term I think I would invest in quality suspension, probably Wilbers ESA units.

Replacement ESA shocks for my 2014 gsa cost over £3000, great if they were high quality units that are serviceable and work correctly............... they are not......and that kind of money will buy the absolute top of the range quality individually specced front and rear shocks from Ohlins , Maxton , Hyperpro, Wilbers or any other manufacturer.

Plus they will last well in excess of 14,000 miles or 35 months.

My 2011 Maxton equipped r1200gsa tc would run rings around any esa bike and my current 2018 model Basic rides better than any ESA bike I've ridden and the ride quality has been commented on by 3 main dealer techicians

It just didn't suit me and I didn't like the 2018 GSA, the gearbox was awful

Replacement ESA shocks for my 2014 gsa cost over £3000, great if they were high quality units that are serviceable and work correctly............... they are not......and that kind of money will buy the absolute top of the range quality individually specced front and rear shocks from Ohlins , Maxton , Hyperpro, Wilbers or any other manufacturer.

Plus they will last well in excess of 14,000 miles or 35 months.

My 2011 Maxton equipped r1200gsa tc would run rings around any esa bike and my current 2018 model Basic rides better than any ESA bike I've ridden and the ride quality has been commented on by 3 main dealer techicians

My experience too. I bought an ex-ORS GS a couple of years ago and wondered why the manual suspension felt more plush and much less jiggly than all the ESA-equipped TE’s I’ve had (and I’ve had a few - 14/15/16/66 and now 18 plate). I also have an RS Sport with manual suspension and, despite far less suspension travel and narrower bars it is far better at handling the bumpy potholed roads around me than my brand new GS with fancy self-levelling suspension! I will also say that the GS suspension is better on super-smooth tarmac. Regardless, the shocks don’t look particularly high-quality on either bike - certainly not £3,000-worth.

I looked at replacing my ESA shocks with Ohlins electronic suspension, but if I remember the product was discontinued???

Can you fit Ohlins now then to a 2017 ESA bike?

What would be considered the best aftermarket setup on an ESA bike??

I had ESA on my 2010 RT which I bought pre owned and thought it was pretty rubbish to be honest and certainly not worth the premium paid for it.

Fortunately I traded it in against my LC last June before I had any maintenance problems.

However, I did learn from the experience and reading on here and elsewhere and bought a new ‘non ESA’ bike.

Good luck to the OP in getting a resolution with BMW.

Surely the “non-ESA” ones are still the same Sachs shit?

So you pay less for the bike but when they fail the replacement is slightly cheaper. Oh and the bike is worthless at trade in because no one (outside of this forum!) wants a non-ESA gs.

I think there’s a more comp,ex calculation to be done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surely the “non-ESA” ones are still the same Sachs shit?

So you pay less for the bike but when they fail the replacement is slightly cheaper. Oh and the bike is worthless at trade in because no one (outside of this forum!) wants a non-ESA gs.

I think there’s a more comp,ex calculation to be done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey don't go talking any sense in here mate, they can't handle it! lol

I might have a look at the Wilbers WESA setup

Back
Top Bottom