New rear ESA after 28k miles??

But why can't you just fit Wilbers WESA?

Then you get good aftermarket suspension AND keep the benefits of ESA

Yes, you can...……. but are possibly still at the mercy of electronic failure.

Top quality conventional suspension is not like going back to steam power...……………

Yes, you can...……. but are possibly still at the mercy of electronic failure.

Top quality conventional suspension is not like going back to steam power...……………

I understand that, but having a versatile bike like the GSA, and then making flexibility easy by the press of a button, is very nice and perfect for this type of bike.

Versatility.

Rear shock in my 2014 GSA went last week, the dealer isn't really interested as it's out of warranty and I've not serviced it with them. They will of course take my money, for an OEM replacement and fitting.

Whipped the shock out myself, looking to get a Tractive rebuild and an uprated spring or a Wilbers WESA. Barring that a used replacement off eBay.

Fucking shite that it's gone after only 4 years and less than 30k miles! Glad it wasn't the front though that's a bit more of a ball ache to remove.

Rear shock in my 2014 GSA went last week, the dealer isn't really interested as it's out of warranty and I've not serviced it with them. They will of course take my money, for an OEM replacement and fitting.

Whipped the shock out myself, looking to get a Tractive rebuild and an uprated spring or a Wilbers WESA. Barring that a used replacement off eBay.

Fucking shite that it's gone after only 4 years and less than 30k miles! Glad it wasn't the front though that's a bit more of a ball ache to remove.

Ask TMF if you can buy his spare :)

My ESA went after 16k and 2 years out of warranty. The quote for the repair was £1800 . The BMW main dealer asked BMW for a goodwill gesture and they promptly replied with brand new unit free of charge. Plus the dealer fitted it for next to nothing. Couldn’t fault the service, however these units should not be failing so early.

My ESA went after 16k and 2 years out of warranty. The quote for the repair was £1800 . The BMW main dealer asked BMW for a goodwill gesture and they promptly replied with brand new unit free of charge. Plus the dealer fitted it for next to nothing. Couldn’t fault the service, however these units should not be failing so early.
In what way did it fail? Oil leak or something else?
Just so i know what to look out for in hopefully the distant future.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

In the same way that it is recommended to use a cars air conditioning often to keep seals etc working, I often cycle my ESA up and down from its normal low 1 rider setting up to the 2 rider setting.

I don't know if it helps but my 24000 2013 TE is still fine with discernible differences between hard normal and soft settings.

In the same way that it is recommended to use a cars air conditioning often to keep seals etc working, I often cycle my ESA up and down from its normal low 1 rider setting up to the 2 rider setting.

I don't know if it helps but my 24000 2013 TE is still fine with discernible differences between hard normal and soft settings.

not for long:blast

not for long:blast

Well you were right. Insured and taxed my bike yesterday after it being not used for 3 months. Went out this morning for an hours ride and came home when it then started to rain and I noticed a nice rainbow pattern on my drive. Had a shufty underneath and low and behold there was oil dripping from the rear shock.
Switched on the ignition and bounced the bike a bit and I could feel it hitting a stop or something on the rebound. 26400 miles and its shagged.

I'm going to remove it and take it to Firefox Racing in Keighley as they advertise a service to refurbish these ESA shocks.

Bummer!

I have a 2018 GSA ESA equipped bike and the handling is fantastic.

Admittedly I’ve never ridden a GS with Wilbers or Ohlins but when you really like the way your standard bike handles then there’s no need to bother

When it breaks, I’ll get it repaired as economically as possible

These GS bikes are big heavy beasts and many take some hammer so shocks busting is gonna happen sooner or later (hopefully later!)

I have a 2018 GSA ESA equipped bike and the handling is fantastic.

Admittedly I’ve never ridden a GS with Wilbers or Ohlins but when you really like the way your standard bike handles then there’s no need to bother

When it breaks, I’ll get it repaired as economically as possible

These GS bikes are big heavy beasts and many take some hammer so shocks busting is gonna happen sooner or later (hopefully later!)

Good thing is, those who have loads of cash and throw Ohlins and Touratechs on their bikes at an early stage, sell their shocks at decent prices.

Does PCP make a difference to liability???

If you intend handing the bike back after the PCP period, Im sure on examination they will insist the machine is standard. There is no point upgrading to Wilbers etc if thats the contract requirements. A mate returned his GS and had to replace the standard screen from the GSA screen he had fitted........every dealer is different !

Shinyface

Back
Top Bottom