New rear ESA after 28k miles??

Tyson675

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Took my bike to my local Motorrad dealers for a service and a knocking rear end. Felt terrible over bumps but was only on rebound and not damping. There was no lights on which I thought strange as it’s obviously an electrical unit.

When I collected it they told me they’d scanned it, found no faults, so suggested replacing the whole rear esa unit, to the tune of £1600!!!
I couldn’t believe it! When I asked exactly what it was that has failed after 28k miles(12k of which in my ownership)they just said they didn’t know. But it needed replacing.

It’s a pcp bike too, how the hell am I expected to pay for this?
Has anyone else had this or similar??

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did The Missenden Flyer (of U-tube fame) have his ESA unit replaced foc by BMW on a bike 2 years out of warranty after a bit of foot stamping and correspondence with the supplying Dealer Service Manager.....there is a thread on here somewhere.

Might be worth reminding your Dealer of this ?

GT

How can they suggest replacing it when they can’t find a fault. Why are they charging for such useless advice? The rear suspension unit was changed on my esa gsa when the adjustment failed. It was well out of warranty. JJH

I think it largely depends on the dealer. Some are good at fighting your corner some not so. JJH

I had rear ESA replaced at discounted price by Alan Jefferies on a four year old 22k R1200RT few years ago. Put me off ESA for life. Last two bikes and new GS on order have normal shocks. Ask for a big discount it might work.

Hi everyone,

Took my bike to my local Motorrad dealers for a service and a knocking rear end. Felt terrible over bumps but was only on rebound and not damping. There was no lights on which I thought strange as it’s obviously an electrical unit.

When I collected it they told me they’d scanned it, found no faults, so suggested replacing the whole rear esa unit, to the tune of £1600!!!
I couldn’t believe it! When I asked exactly what it was that has failed after 28k miles(12k of which in my ownership)they just said they didn’t know. But it needed replacing.

Has anyone else had this or similar??

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Itrs done well mine had a new front at 1400 miles and both front and rear were replace again under extended warranty at under 14,000 miles ( 3 years). Luckily I had the extended warranty

My rear ESA shock absorber failed just outside the two year warranty period at 16.5k miles. Allan Jefferies initially wanted to charge for the replacement, but after threatening to hand the bike back (it was on PCP at the time) and pointing out I’d complained about the erratic and harsh performance of the shock previously, BMW replaced it as a goodwill warranty claim.

Luckily my complaint about the shock absorber was logged on their computer system at the 6k service, so it substantiated my claim.

Did The Missenden Flyer (of U-tube fame) have his ESA unit replaced foc by BMW on a bike 2 years out of warranty after a bit of foot stamping and correspondence with the supplying Dealer Service Manager.....there is a thread on here somewhere.

Might be worth reminding your Dealer of this ?

GT

He bought it used off Flea Bay

If you can't get a goodwill repair try Tractive to rebuild it. https://www.esarepair.com/

They rebuilt a mates front ESA shock for a couple of hundred but it does involve shipping the shock to them. Apparently they were part of the ESA development team for BMW so should know what they are doing. From what I understand from my dealer, the shock will only be considered for goodwill under 30k miles, so at 28k it's close.

He bought it used off Flea Bay

He did initially, but it was later replaced FOC by the dealer after they saw the video.

I used to ride Motocross and Enduro and I would always strip and service my suspension every 12 months as a minimum. Road bikes require a lot less servicing but I have found that by 12-15K miles the performance of the suspension is starting to go off, by 20K I would be looking to either replace with upgraded parts or completely strip and rebuild.
With BMW ESA you can't officially service it and its too expensive to replace every 20-30K and i don't think you should have too. I think its poor that the unit is not serviceable and that BMW do not offer to repair, If electronic parts have failed they would probably need replacing rather than repair, but the rest of the shock should be serviceable.
If mine fails outside of warranty I would be looking at getting it repaired by one of the companies that are offering this sort of service.

Yes indeed. Folk on PCP who commit money they don't yet have should definitely get a better deal than those prudent gits who save up. ;)

It’s a good question. The finance co. actually own the bike so they should push hard for a repair. JJH

Back
Top Bottom