Get The Sandwiches Ready GSA Rear Wheel Collapse - Part 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can we bring some perspective to this?!

It is a really important issue and if we’ve learn’t anything from part 1 it is that people have genuine safety issues with it.

What we have learnt is that it is not a one-off. Whether you are on an LC or earlier bike, it has happened to more than one GS model. What about others? R’s? RT’s? 800’s?

The reality is that if someone (you, me or BMW) fcuk up on not just our maintainence but also checking the bike before we ride it there is potentially a very high price to pay. All of the theories people have put forward are potentially plausible. Hard facts are incredibly valuable so we can’t get enough.

Don’t let this turn into a personal slanging match between the opinions of one person or another. Keep an open mind and try to share the facts best we can. We all want to know that when we wheel the bike out of the garage and sling the leg over we have the best chance of survival of anyone.

Crotchrocket’s posted video was a reminder to us all of how the bike can bite back. Let’s learn from others misfortune and share the knowledge!! Please?

I've decided I am going to wire mine. I've listened to what everyone has said and decided that a bolt torqued up to 24Nm is not going to disintegrate if I drill through it. Yes, I will clean the threads on the the bolt and in the casing. Yes, I will use Locktite to resecure. But in addition the wire will give me the peace of mind that nothing can move far enough to have a catastrophic effect. And I will try and remember to run my fingers around the spokes from time to time to check. A 2014 GSA and not had a loose spoke yet.

My decisions have been based on the good and positive advice offered through the thread - part 1. Thanks to everyone who contributed to it. I will sleep well tonight.

I've decided I am going to wire mine. I've listened to what everyone has said and decided that a bolt torqued up to 24Nm is not going to disintegrate if I drill through it. Yes, I will clean the threads on the the bolt and in the casing. Yes, I will use Locktite to resecure. But in addition the wire will give me the peace of mind that nothing can move far enough to have a catastrophic effect. And I will try and remember to run my fingers around the spokes from time to time to check. A 2014 GSA and not had a loose spoke yet.

My decisions have been based on the good and positive advice offered through the thread - part 1. Thanks to everyone who contributed to it. I will sleep well tonight.

I assume you will be buying new bolts since they are one use only?

No I will not! I am quite happy with the quality of the original bolts if they are cleaned up properly.

If others feel differently it is a free world and they may be right and I may be wrong. I just don't feel the need. I totally respect the view of those who want to use new ones. I will live or die by my decision!

No I will not! I am quite happy with the quality of the original bolts if they are cleaned up properly.

If others feel differently it is a free world and they may be right and I may be wrong. I just don't feel the need. I totally respect the view of those who want to use new ones. I will live or die by my decision!

lol I just don't get the logic, YOU KNOW they are one use only yet you are going to reuse them. I sure as hell would not be putting that out on a public forum, your insurance should be voided if you get into an accident because of this. If you cause an accident where someone else is hurt you should be charged by the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom