Get The Sandwiches Ready GSA Rear Wheel Collapse - Part 3!

Just checked the spokes on my 2016 TB. All good n tight.:thumb2

Is it later, i.e. Euro4 onwards LCs that this is happening to?

Wasn't that when they switched production to a shed in China?
:augie;)

I posted a thread back in 2012 when the wheels on my 2011 R1200GSA TC went out of true after less than 3000 or so road miles , the rear although it had no loose spokes had over 1.5mm of sideways (lateral ) movement and over 2.6mm of ovality and similarly the front was out.

From what I can remember this was at least double of what BMW claimed was acceptable , I ended up running the bike on alloys for a month or so whilst Devon Wheel Company (not the Devon Rim Company) retrued the wheels , basically they release tension off all of the spokes and start from scratch .

BMW were hicking about a warranty claim and in the end when the wheels were retrued they were better than BMW acceptable measurements which even the dealer stated were sometimes a bit lax, however, they had never had a problem of the older wheels collapsing or loosing tension on the spokes

It wasn't a shed in China. It was a yurt in Mongolia :p

I think your right, and I'm guessing the guy just got a few spokes mixed up with the JiCheng 125 wheels he was building :p

It does seem to be the later LCs though (although I'm still working my way through the previous threads). That makes 2016 models extremely valuable then :)

I realised the other day I took the brake caliper off when I was checking the final drive, I used the same bolts and haven't died yet. Going to replace them for good measure anyway.

They have been ok for the last 15,000 klms though

This has been discussed pages ago ; changing bolts for new micro encapsulated threadlock’d is the recommendation , but hey 24Nm is a very small torque so what’s the rationale in replacement ?

This has been discussed pages ago ; changing bolts for new micro encapsulated threadlock’d is the recommendation , but hey 24Nm is a very small torque so what’s the rationale in replacement ?

If I have issue, assuming I'm not dead, at least I followed the advise from BMW and can push them for a resolution.

As the recomendation for change of bolts did not come until a few years, I don't think the bolts are stretch-bolts.
Then, the only reason for change I can think of is the fact that the bolts are covered with locktite, or MicrEncapsulated in BMW language.

Whenever reusing bolts where Locktite has been used, the old Locktite should be cleaned of prior to remounting. If you don't clean them, the added friction from the old stuff will screw up the torque.
The manual is meant for shop-use, and it will be cheaper for the customer to pay for new bolts than paying for the extra time to clean the old ones.

If I ever remove the calliper I intend to clean the bolts and reuse them, and use fresh Locktite.

Although my bike has alloys, I went up Kunkelspass this week-end, the pass was a hard and dry as it comes, totally bouncing off the holes and stones, it should the fillings in my teeth, I had the paint marker on the bolts front and rear, and even after another 10 passes, riding and braking hard 2 up fully loaded, bolts did not move.

Hi all new to the forum this is my first post, I have just purchased a 2018 GS, what a fantastic weapon it is. I was cleaning it after my first ride on Sunday 300 comfortable miles around mid Wales. The spokes where loose on the back wheel there are 20 each side, six very loose and rattling spokes and seven loose spokes, The other side had seven loose spokes with three ratting very loose. I have contacted the dealer who is picking up the GS today and loaning me another bike untill the issue is resolved. They tell me its becoming common on the spoke wheels so I am just letting you know if youre not aware check your spokes, rattle a spanner over them and listen for the Ding that a tight spoke makes. Seven spokes loose on the front wheel, Not good

Hi all new to the forum this is my first post, I have just purchased a 2018 GS, what a fantastic weapon it is. I was cleaning it after my first ride on Sunday 300 comfortable miles around mid Wales. The spokes where loose on the back wheel there are 20 each side, six very loose and rattling spokes and seven loose spokes, The other side had seven loose spokes with three ratting very loose. I have contacted the dealer who is picking up the GS today and loaning me another bike untill the issue is resolved. They tell me its becoming common on the spoke wheels so I am just letting you know if youre not aware check your spokes, rattle a spanner over them and listen for the Ding that a tight spoke makes. Seven spokes loose on the front wheel, Not good

Cheers for that at least they are finally getting to the issue, maybe a total recall in the works.

They tell me its becoming common on the spoke wheels so I am just letting you know if youre not aware check your spokes, rattle a spanner over them and listen for the Ding that a tight spoke makes. Seven spokes loose on the front wheel, Not good
Welcome to the forum: when you’ve managed to read this and the Rallye thread from end to end you’ll realise that the correct tone you need is not a Ding, it’s a Ting and definitely not a Tong.
Alan R

Back
Top Bottom