Get The Sandwiches Ready GSA Rear Wheel Collapse - Part 3!

In the good old days of pushbikes and lolly sticks pegged to the frame so they clacked against the spokes as you rode along, you soon learnt the different noise of a loose spoke.

Eee, by gum..

Unless the wheel is off the bike then you may not be getting a true picture. If the wheel is vertical and fitted to the bike, even if the bike is on the centre stand and so none of the bike's weight is on the wheel, the weight of the rim and tyre is going to differentially load the spokes. The weight could slightly compress and so reduce tension in some spokes while pulling on and slightly increasing tension in others. If you have a very sensitive ear, then that might be enough to cause a variation in sound in otherwise equally tensioned spokes.

Unless the wheel is off the bike then you may not be getting a true picture. If the wheel is vertical and fitted to the bike, even if the bike is on the centre stand and so none of the bike's weight is on the wheel, the weight of the rim and tyre is going to differentially load the spokes. The weight could slightly compress and so reduce tension in some spokes while pulling on and slightly increasing tension in others. If you have a very sensitive ear, then that might be enough to cause a variation in sound in otherwise equally tensioned spokes.
Wow! You would need to be a bat to be able to differentiate pitch to such a level! I hesitate to contribute to one of Warlord’s navel gazing threads but might the solution to the above immensely perplexing problem be to tap the spokes in the same position while rotating the wheel: Steptoe’s lolly stick would seem to be the answer.
Alan R

Wow! You would need to be a bat to be able to differentiate pitch to such a level! I hesitate to contribute to one of Warlord’s navel gazing threads but might the solution to the above immensely perplexing problem be to tap the spokes in the same position while rotating the wheel: Steptoe’s lolly stick would seem to be the answer.
Alan R

Yes good point - I didn't really think that one through did I!

I can see it now - GSers flocking to buy the immensely expensive Touratech spoke tension checker consisting of an alloy strip to ping the spokes and a box of tricks with mic to analyse the frequencies given off by each spoke.

In the good old days of pushbikes and lolly sticks pegged to the frame so they clacked against the spokes as you rode along, you soon learnt the different noise of a loose spoke.

Eee, by gum..

Today’s pushbicylclists think nothing about spending £2,000 on wheels and you should see the Park Tools catalogue . (Ten years ago the Brecon Beacons were full of GSers and now it’s full of Lycra boys and girls. )

Probably the thicker spokes and higher spoke tension of a motorcycle wheel compared to a bicycle would mean a lolly stick or similar would not be up to the job. In that case maybe Tourotech will sell you a little BMW branded hammer for tapping the spokes.

I wonder - would that mean that all you spoked wheel fans could then join the Wheeltappers and Shunters Club!

Very funny fred_jb ‘; Wheeltappers and Shunters club’ . On this site it may rhyme with something else ...

I'm going to make a video on it.

The Warlord Accessory Tutorial. (need to think of a suitable initialism).

See if anyone can play our National Anthem on their spokes with just a suitable 10mm spanner.

I bet you want to try.... don't you.... hmmmm

WheelTwatters and *un***s for starters .....

I should maybe just add that in making light of people's new found anxiety about the integrity of their spoked wheels, I mean no disrespect to those who have suffered serious accidents due to wheel collapse. These incidents may be more likely due to loose calipers than dodgy spokes, but nevertheless, any discussion that encourages people to check their wheels can't be a bad thing.

Fred

Bike checked yesterday with 8 spokes needing tightened on the rear wheel and 2 on the front. Tec had never seen more than 2 spokes needing attention and no reason given for the number of loose spokes which was nearly 25% of them! I will do as advised and keep an eye open for a repeat issue.
BTW spokes do not have a locking screw.

Checked my spokes today and found two very loose spokes on the rear wheel on the right side,a lot of the other spokes more movement than there should of been,also has movement 6-12 oclock if you rock it back and forth you can actually see the rim moving.1200 GSA bike has only done 200 miles dealer is picking it up Tuesday.30 minutes prior to finding this i was having lets say a spirited ride.!!

There shoud be no movement; never mind ; more than there should have been. They have a harder job to do than a saggy guitar string you know.

Bike checked yesterday with 8 spokes needing tightened on the rear wheel and 2 on the front. Tec had never seen more than 2 spokes needing attention and no reason given for the number of loose spokes which was nearly 25% of them! I will do as advised and keep an eye open for a repeat issue.

Are you sure and I mean 100% sure; I am not aware that the design has changed in which case there are 40 per wheel . The grub screw is in the middle of the tightening nut , buried in mud.
There are two in the photo ; one arrowed and one in the other spoke nut:
48e5a630734e5e1a7d05e4524e0de620.heic

They look like the end of a spoke , but they are not .

(If you do have them , then your tightening is not done correctly because they butt against the end of the spoke after light tightening : or maybe yours never did cos in theory you cannot tighten without backing off these grub screws . )

Yep that’s what they told me a month ago when they changed my rear wheel under warranty, I had 11 loose first time at about 1200 miles and then 9 loose and two missing grub screws at 3200 miles. More common than they keep saying me thinks.

WTF is all this shite about grub screws and spokes. I still ride my 51 year old Triumph 650 TR6 with spoked wheels and have never had any issues with spokes becoming loose.

Surely in 2018 BMW can get spoked wheels perfect?

Yep that’s what they told me a month ago when they changed my rear wheel under warranty, I had 11 loose first time at about 1200 miles and then 9 loose and two missing grub screws at 3200 miles. More common than they keep saying me thinks.

So common that there is now a shortage of wheels! Dealers have obviously had a bulletin about how to manage the problem. Mine have been tightened but ‘checking spokes’ will now have to be a weekly chore. Bet there are loads of people riding round with loose spokes unaware there’s a problem. As has been said, pretty poor for 2018.

WTF is all this shite about grub screws and spokes. I still ride my 51 year old Triumph 650 TR6 with spoked wheels and have never had any issues with spokes becoming loose.

Surely in 2018 BMW can get spoked wheels perfect?

Apparently not
Oilhead GS from 1994-2004/5 with German made Behr spoked wheels were also fine

Change of manufacturing to GLM of late though 🤣

This is all far too stressful. I think I’ll stay away from BMW bikes for a while. :D

Back
Top Bottom