2008 F650GS wiring diagram

Sure.
I am sure that there are many ways to achieve this, but this is mine...

Starting from the bike end, you will need an ICOM-D cable to connect to the diagnostic connector. [For no particular reason I chose this one]

You then need a way to connect that to a laptop. You need a K-LINE cable to connect ODBII to an USB port on your laptop.(cheap and readily available. More obscure... an RS232 (serial port to ODBII connection would be just as good, if not better but the cables are not as common. You can easily make your own one if you want. There are loads of K-LINE / K+DCAN cables about. You can find them on ebay. The RJ45 ones do not work with F800GS, btw.

Now, you are physically connected. You will need the software. This is where the things get tricky and you need to do a fair bit of reading. There are, of course, licensing issues with some of the proprietary software and you'll need to work out for yourself where the research/professional curiosity ends and commercial interests start. You can search further for ISTA, Rheingold and such like, if you wish...

For some instant pointers you can start on the last thread I picked up /provided some info here

That thread has further links to URLs I stumbled upon (in Italian but google translates well enough) which are remarkably useful or t'internet here:

Finally, the computer-end is important. [While I can't quite work out exactly why,] I managed to make it work on Win7 and not on Win10. Admittedly those were two different laptops, so may well be down to hardware. I was going to put together a VM with all the stuff together but I got bored and left it alone... :) for now at least.

That should get you started. Let us know how you get on...

many thanks for your detailed response, I'm going to have a crack at that, doesn't look overly complicated :beer:

No worries JC. Give me a shout if you get stuck...

Sam, did you get anywhere with the GS911? The suspense is killing us... :)
Hope you got to the bottom of it...

Ok. Sorry for the delay in responding - had to go to work to earn some money to put food on the table😱
So - the GS-911 will connect to the bike and show the battery voltage only. It will not do any diagnostics. Checked it on another bike and it's working fine. So next plan is put it into a local independent BMW guy who is going to see what he can find. I'll report back, but it will be a couple of weeks before I get chance to give the bike to him. Cheers everybody 👍🏼

"Sam, did you get anywhere with the GS911? The suspense is killing us... :)
Hope you got to the bottom of it.."

It's all looking worryingly ECU ish ??

Ok. Sorry for the delay in responding - had to go to work to earn some money to put food on the table��
So - the GS-911 will connect to the bike and show the battery voltage only. It will not do any diagnostics. Checked it on another bike and it's working fine. So next plan is put it into a local independent BMW guy who is going to see what he can find. I'll report back, but it will be a couple of weeks before I get chance to give the bike to him. Cheers everybody ����

"Sam, did you get anywhere with the GS911? The suspense is killing us... :)
Hope you got to the bottom of it.."

At long last - it's fixed

Well, I hope you have all enjoyed the wait......

So I put the F650GS in to a local garage who did exhaustive testing, including checking for damaged wires on the loom.

Final Diagnosis - no power from ECU to Ring Antenna.

2 hours work - £108 including VAT.

Booked bike in to Dundee BMW, and today they fitted a new ECU and coded the bike. £773.06 including VAT

IT RUNS.....!!!!

MOT tomorrow and we are good to go.

I'm happy enough with that.

Cheers
Sam

p.s. Don't bother trying to contact me - I'll be out playing on my bike :D :D :D

Well, I hope you have all enjoyed the wait......

So I put the F650GS in to a local garage who did exhaustive testing, including checking for damaged wires on the loom.

Final Diagnosis - no power from ECU to Ring Antenna.

2 hours work - £108 including VAT.

Booked bike in to Dundee BMW, and today they fitted a new ECU and coded the bike. £773.06 including VAT

IT RUNS.....!!!!

MOT tomorrow and we are good to go.

I'm happy enough with that.

Cheers
Sam

p.s. Don't bother trying to contact me - I'll be out playing on my bike :D :D :D

Told you, but didn't want to worry you about the cost . Been there , done that

Back
Top Bottom