LED mot

lawvar

Reaction score
Bike just passed the mot with my LED in.
However the tester said it was a very grey area and perhaps better to revert to halogen as when they get more info and clarification they will probably be a fail like HID.
Any comments or advice guys ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

HID's are a definate fail,

It dosent say LED's will fail, but it's not exactly clear,

only a vague reference on souce and lamp not compatible with the output of a fail

My MOT tester was concerned that dip beam has the correct cutoff - safety of other road users. Simply looking at the headlight the silver bulb end could have been a metallised halogen bulb. Unlike HID, the LED emitters are only slightly bigger than the halogen filament so the light should be unaffected.

As an additional note my vauxhall antara failed it's MOT on poor beam pattern with LED.
That was with vauxhall rob dogs though.
Can you believe they wanted to charge me £195.00 to put 2 halogen bulbs in

Currently it isn't grey at all. HID requires self leveling and headlight washers to be legally used, LED does not. This is why HID was never really adopted in bikes barring a few examples but LED is becoming quite common. If the beam pattern is OK there is no reason to fail it. If someone fits cheap poor quality LED and the beam is all over the place then there is plenty reason to fail.

"Currently it isn't grey at all"
Maybe not to you BUT it is to the testers who MOT our bikes.
I can see plenty of on going problems

..... HID requires self leveling and headlight washers to be legally used......

Only if specced on a new car. Doesn't apply to motorcycles even if retro-fitted.

I have had HIDs fitted to my GS and never had a hint of a problem at MoT time for tha last 4 years.

"Currently it isn't grey at all"
Maybe not to you BUT it is to the testers who MOT our bikes.
I can see plenty of on going problems

Is anybody failing bikes or are they sucking their teeth and bumping their gums because they don't know what they are doing?

Is anybody failing bikes or are they sucking their teeth and bumping their gums because they don't know what they are doing?
You count not possibly be wrong could you ?

Only if specced on a new car. Doesn't apply to motorcycles even if retro-fitted.

I have had HIDs fitted to my GS and never had a hint of a problem at MoT time for tha last 4 years.

The new mot specifically outlaws retrofit HID which was a grey area. There was nothing specific in the mot but it wasn't legal under construction and use.

The new mot specifically outlaws retrofit HID which was a grey area. There was nothing specific in the mot but it wasn't legal under construction and use.

And in vehicles without projector headlight lenses "scatter" could blind other road users even on dip. I think HID conversions in vehicles with projector headlights are not an issue, but have unfortunately fallen foul of a law to cure the former issue.

HIDs should have projector lenses to be correct for MOT. Fully converted headlights with all the "stuff" will pass. Simply fitting an HID burner with (suitable fitting) bulb back plate wont pass.

LEDs hardly look any different to normal halogens so if the light pattern is correct there would be no reason to argue about how the light is generated. As said, my MOT tester is concerned only about dip beam scatter and focus and will happily fail anything which isn't up to the mark.

Back
Top Bottom