what intercom to buy?.. never had one.. just rider to pillion... any advise :)

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
so.. I've had bikes for years... did try a wired intercom about 25 years ago and they were poor.. so never bothered since.
I tend to ride a lot by myself and love the solitude of bike riding as much as anything....
however, having bought the GS to do some miles on, I'm now thinking it would be an advantage to be able to communicate with the passanger? More over, my Son (12) and I are going to go on the bike to Euro Disney in August... and I want to be able to talk / check on him (he has been known to fall asleep!!)

So nothing expensive (may just get used this one trip)... got to be cheap (quite a lot on E-bay with good ratings.. anyone tried these?)... don't want loads of wires all over so guess FM or Blue Tooth... only rider to pasenger.. not bike to bike... we have older Arai lids to fit things in... any thoughts?... or maybe even anyone got anything for sale :)

(BTW.. I have the basic bike.. no nav etc.. so it can't work with that)

cheers

You have a small, pleasant revolution on the way :). They really are great and it's a revelation being able to chat with your pillion, take calls and listen to music. You'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner :)

I have had use of an Interphone FMC5 for the last 5 odd years. It's a tad 'old' now but for what you're asking from a cost perspective, I'd recommend this set up. Their 'Tour' offering is their latest kit.

I'm about to take a chance on a new helmet with integrated intercom so considered selling my FMC5 (dual) set up, but after some thought I'd prefer my spare lids had an intercom as well.

Others will probably also recommend the Cardo systems and Sena systems. I'd be inclined to stick with Interphone and these two other brands, just because we know they work. I think there is a degree of getting what you pay for and a crap system will just drive you nuts.

Unless you picked up a secondhand set up, I'd imagine you'd need to spend around the 200 mark for a dual kit.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I’ve been using a pair of SENA SMH5 for 4 or 5 years now and love them

I don’t bother with phone or music connection, just use rider passenger intercom and voice commands from my TomTom Rider

They hold enough charge for all day use

I’ve been using a pair of SENA SMH5 for 4 or 5 years now and love them

I don’t bother with phone or music connection, just use rider passenger intercom and voice commands from my TomTom Rider

They hold enough charge for all day use

This. Enough said.

cheers guys.. yes, had looked at Sena and Cardo... but for a one trip wonder is it worth it (mind you, if they are that good I may keep them.. but going on the bike is a way of getting away from the phones etc:) )

Will have a look at the Interphone units.. see if anything comes up second hand.... cheers

Lidl had some in early season that were costing next to nothing no idea how good they were....you will get what you pay for buy a sena use it and then resell on evil bay

It's it worth it? It really depends on how often you use the bike. I'd say it is. My experience is there is no detraction from the freedom on the bike. Sounds as and when you want.

Personally I really wouldn't want a helmet without an intercom and I ride solo most of the time.

Ok.. thanks... there are some used kit on E-Bat.... so will see how they go ... great info all.. thanks...

Used kit....its the batteries that tend to go first and they either can't be or are difficult/expensive to replace. I would be looking for something that's definitely less than 2 years old.

Used kit....its the batteries that tend to go first and they either can't be or are difficult/expensive to replace. I would be looking for something that's definitely less than 2 years old.
Good tip :thunmb1

Saying that my FMC5 batteries are doing OK. Just don't last quite so long. But looking forward to new kit.

just looking and watching U tube etc... Cordo Scala Q1.. looks just the job for what I want... not bike to bike but thats fine, and works on voice comands so no hand off...

On the F5mc, they say it gets confused multi tasking????? and you have to press buttons etc?...

And the Cordo is £150 for a dual set so another posative....

Anyway... watching both on E-bat ;)

also F3MC's.. same but not bike to bike... don't have full voice control and FM... but got the rest for £130 :)

Great!

Good place to start. I'm sure you'll be wanting more after the trip! :)

just looking and watching U tube etc... Cordo Scala Q1.. looks just the job for what I want... not bike to bike but thats fine, and works on voice comands so no hand off...

On the F5mc, they say it gets confused multi tasking????? and you have to press buttons etc?...

And the Cordo is £150 for a dual set so another posative....

Anyway... watching both on E-bat ;)

Been using a Cardo Q1 for about 3 years. Battery is still good for a full day listening to music when touring. But not used it as an intercom. Would buy again.

Just to consider......
I bought a Cardo Q3. It was great. It did exactly what I wanted it to do.
But then I bought a new bike with TFT. I wanted to unlock the full capability of the BMW Connectivity . But to do that I had to purchase a new BT headset as the Cardo Q3 wasnt BT4.1.
So bought a Sena 20S EVO. Wow ! It did unlock everything. Some things I didnt even want or think of.
So, for the future it may be best to invest in a unit that will be compatible further down the line.

Ok.. thanks... there are some used kit on E-Bat.... so will see how they go ... great info all.. thanks...

I have a pair of Sena 3s. £85-£90 each. Very discreet and do a cracking job for satnav and rider/pillion.

Cheers Guy's.. I've gone for the Cardo Q1 for now.. £149 and I'll see how it goes... for that money, if I don't like it I can move on... like some of the newer stuff, but don't think I'll be changing the bike as I tend to keep them ages ;)
Pitty I didn't see your Sena offer, that may have been worth a try...

I'll report back when they arrive and Ive tested them out ... thanks again!!...

Back
Top Bottom