R100GS Tyres

FatAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been using Avon Trail Riders for the last 12 months or so and have been pleased with their performance. The bike has been off in dry dock for last couple of months having a few jobs done on it. I got a call this morning from the chap doing the work for me to inform me the bike was ready, but he asked me if I was aware the rear tyre was rubbing on the swing arm ( I wasn't) he reckoned that although the tyre was the correct size (130/80 x 17) the profile of the tyre was too wide. I seem to remember having a similar issue many years ago when fitting an Avon rear tyre to a 1979 R80/7.

Has anyone had this issue? I'm now looking at replacing the rear, but with what? The front and rear tyres have only about 1500 miles at most on them, so I only want to change the rear. I was thinking possibly of a Conti TKC70. The bike is used mostly on road but does venture on the loose stuff on rare occasions for a bit of easy green laning. Only other option is bite the bullet and buy a new pair of perhaps Conti trail Attack or similar.

Any advice gladly accepted.

My experience: TKC80s rub the rear spring but 130 Mitas E-09 don’t nor do Tourance.

No problem with Mitas E08 if you can get it cheaper than the TKC70 - Mitas make the Conti's so only the tread pattern will be different.
With other tires I found that it was the shock spring that touched first, and not all the time, probably on full load, so i just left it.
Yours might be the same.
There is reputed to be a factory spacer, perhaps for the R100R, which pushes the wheel over a little, and the paralever bearings can be offset a little to compensate.

No problem with Mitas E08 if you can get it cheaper than the TKC70 - Mitas make the Conti's so only the tread pattern will be different.
With other tires I found that it was the shock spring that touched first, and not all the time, probably on full load, so i just left it.
Yours might be the same.
There is reputed to be a factory spacer, perhaps for the R100R, which pushes the wheel over a little, and the paralever bearings can be offset a little to compensate.

+1 on the Mitas E-08's.

Thanks lads, I'm collecting the bike this afternoon, so I'll have a proper look at it.

I see Motorworks have some K series spacers, I'll try the 2mm one, whats this about adjustment to the paralever bearings? I hope things aren't going to get too technical:D

No need at all for spacers on a GS just buy a tyre that fits! :beerjug:

When I had TKC80's on, it needed a 2mm spacer... or use a sharp blade to trim 2mm off every other edge tread block on the r/h/s:)
TKC70's not. And its a nice tyre.

No need at all for spacers on a GS just buy a tyre that fits! :beerjug:

Well I thought it did, same size according to the sidewall details. Anyway I've ordered a 2mm K series spacer from Motorworks £2 + £3 postage :blast
Hopefully that will sort it out.

BTW Al, when I was following you home this afternoon I could smell burning rubber.:eek:

Only joking.:D

Tyre rubbing now sorted. K series 2mm rear wheel spacer shim fitted, £2.00 + postage from Motorworks. Thanks for everyone's comments, even Kenny and Stu :D

Back
Top Bottom