Such a great bike

@ Cliffbase; every time I come back from a ride I have to say the 1200GS is the best bike for the road period.Nothing can touch it be it comfort,practicality,handling,ease of maintenance.If you are done with all the B.S. and ready to ride there is only the GS ! The Telelever soaks up all the bumps and does not dive or bottoms out when hard on the brakes and the shaftdrive means no worries about the chain.All the GS needs is another 25 hp and maybe the first 3 gears as smooth shifting as 4-5-6 and it would be perfect...:thumb2 O.K. my R Nine T has more character but even a Ohlins fork is not as good as the TL on real roads and the S1000RR is more fun on the track but the GS is the best bike for the road period...I talk about fast backroad riding.The S1000XR is also great and even more fun but given the choice I rather have TL and shaftdrive than additional 45 hp.
Too bad we can't have it all,yet...;)

Interestingly everyone who is comparing the GS to the Explorer has come from a Gen1 Explorer. I went from an early wc gs to a generation 1 Explorer and felt the explorer was a slightly better bike. I now have a Gen 2 Explorer but did give the GS another go before pulling the plug.

For me the Gen2 Explorer streets ahead of the GS and the new 1200 Tiger is in a different league.

Each to their own I guess. Yes the GS is a very capable bike, but it's just so utterly soulless.

The Residual value of the Triumph was one of the reasons for my change. I paid over 13k for mine & then loaded it with accessories, the dealer called me about the new bike (Gen3) and offered me 6k for it - with all my bits on. I was offered much more - without all the accessories - by BMW.

The reviews for the latest bike are very good, im sure it is a very nice ride, as stated i thought my earlier model very good. Im pleased you like yours.

I dont find the GS soulless, i think its a confident bike that handles with ease anything thrown at it - and for me, right now its about my perfect bike. Perhaps the only downside is the perceived image that GS riders have!

A few years ago, a friend of mine ( 10,000 euro mls a year) looking to buy his first ADV bike took all the different makes out for test rides, his thoughts.....
1st. Aprilia Caponord. Best suspension and comfort.
2nd. GS best all rounder and wind protection.
3rd. Triumph. Best engine, least balanced and highest.
He wouldn't even try the Vstrom.
He bought the Triumph as he can't stand twins, not smooth enough. He is now on his 3rd triumph and is a happy bunny.
We each have our own reasons for buying. None of the bike out there are bad, just different, each to their own.

The feature that I like about the Boxer is its engine braking, often I use the rear brake pedal just to show the vehicle behind I’m slowing when I don’t need to brake at all.

@ Cliffbase; every time I come back from a ride I have to say the 1200GS is the best bike for the road period.Nothing can touch it be it comfort,practicality,handling,ease of maintenance.If you are done with all the B.S. and ready to ride there is only the GS ! The Telelever soaks up all the bumps and does not dive or bottoms out when hard on the brakes and the shaftdrive means no worries about the chain.All the GS needs is another 25 hp and maybe the first 3 gears as smooth shifting as 4-5-6 and it would be perfect...:thumb2 O.K. my R Nine T has more character but even a Ohlins fork is not as good as the TL on real roads and the S1000RR is more fun on the track but the GS is the best bike for the road period...I talk about fast backroad riding.The S1000XR is also great and even more fun but given the choice I rather have TL and shaftdrive than additional 45 hp.
Too bad we can't have it all,yet...;)

Exactly.

Interestingly everyone who is comparing the GS to the Explorer has come from a Gen1 Explorer. I went from an early wc gs to a generation 1 Explorer and felt the explorer was a slightly better bike. I now have a Gen 2 Explorer but did give the GS another go before pulling the plug.

For me the Gen2 Explorer streets ahead of the GS and the new 1200 Tiger is in a different league.

Each to their own I guess. Yes the GS is a very capable bike, but it's just so utterly soulless.

It’s strange how people’s perceptions vary - the Tiger leaves me stone cold because to me it is utterly soulless.

It’s strange how people’s perceptions vary - the Tiger leaves me stone cold because to me it is utterly soulless.

Bugger, this is the second time in the last couple of months I’ve had to agree with you!

I came to BMW from a 1050ST loved the burble and gurgle from the triple, always wanted to go back to triumph tried the new trophy when it came out, just no engagement. Took the new 1200Xtr for a days spin a couple of months back, it didn’t do anything wrong pulled well, rode well but just didn’t give me anything, the engine even with the arrow can didn’t do anything for me. Jumped back on the GS and five minutes down the road I just couldn’t see why you would want to swap.

Each to their own though it would be boring if we all liked the same thing.

Fook, should I post on this thread because Engineer said something I have to sort of agree with. There won't be a Triumph parked on my drive. I do fancy the 800 and 1050 machines but not enough to warrant any serious thoughts. The GSA, although a very dull bike, is probably best captured with the phrase ''Jack of all trades, master of none''. The concept is very good but the execution is shite.

My last bike was a Crosstourer with a stonking V4 but before that I had a couple of Varaderos so I do like twins

Love the spread of torque from tick over on the boxer and it has plenty of power for going yampy now and then

What puts the GS a the top for me is the suspension, the combination of ESA and the telelever is just so much better than anything else I’ve ever ridden

Down in the Ardeche again this weekend 2 up & loaded but still amazed at how good the bike feels and handles

Funny so many people feel the Gs handles better than the explorer. Don’t get me wrong I love the gs but I got my mates triumph and was instantly hanging off it in the bends in a way I could never feel confident enough on the Gs.
Got back on mine and it felt tippy and the front end vague by comparison. I chopped the front tyre in shortly afterwards because it was squared off and that did improve things but it still doesn’t feel as confident as the triumph.
Engine wise they’re both good but you can’t bet the sound/grunt of opening the throttle at low revs on a Gs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good! I'll be touring two-up with mine in August. Nice to hear hairpins are still a joy even with the wardrobes (great term) fitted! :thumb2
Should have a good bit of GoPro footage of 4 GSA's in full "Wardrobe" spec mincing their way through hairpin after hairpin.

I'll send you a few clips when my mate gets it all edited together.

Yes, you can still have lots of fun with the boxes on.

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom