1100gs abs top light on after hose change

donkeydoo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here so hello and thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions and help.

Only had the bike a month and the only ride on it was home after buying, thought it might be a good idea to check the brake fluid in the front to find that it was almost empty and the master cylinder piston was leaking. Fixed the piston with the repair kit and put on some stainless hoses whilst it was apart, all went well.

My problem is that when I turn the ignition on the top abs light comes on and stays on, no flashing, I have tried resetting the system to no avail. Have I done something or has anyone encountered this before, I was very careful when removing front wheel, mudgard etc.

When I rode it home the lights were working as they should.

One other question is it safe to ride with this light on.

Cheers

Mark

Sounds like you have not done the reset correctly???

What diagnostic plug does your bike have? The flat blue 3 pin one or the round multipin one?

Hi,

I am new here so hello and thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions and help.

Only had the bike a month and the only ride on it was home after buying, thought it might be a good idea to check the brake fluid in the front to find that it was almost empty and the master cylinder piston was leaking. Fixed the piston with the repair kit and put on some stainless hoses whilst it was apart, all went well.

My problem is that when I turn the ignition on the top abs light comes on and stays on, no flashing, I have tried resetting the system to no avail. Have I done something or has anyone encountered this before, I was very careful when removing front wheel, mudgard etc.

When I rode it home the lights were working as they should.

One other question is it safe to ride with this light on.

Cheers

Mark

Does the machine need to be in motion for the light to go out? - some cars do

Thank you all so much, I have not even started it yet just turned on the ignition, as this is my first Bmw and experience with abs was a little nervous, so it is safe to ride? I will take it out for a spin later and update.

I tried the reset but nothing happened, it has the flat 3 pin one under the seat.

Should have taken someone with me when I bought it though it would have been hard to spot a leaking master cylinder behind the hand guard.

But that will teach me to trust someone, the bikes is fine nothing needs doing, leaking master cylinder, metal on metal brake pad, oh and a badly worn alternator belt, just a little whine but at least I am getting to know her.

Cheers again

Abs seems to be activating all the time

Thank you all for the advise, went out on it and abs lights seem to be behaving as they should, but I seem to have created another problem.

As far as I can tell the abs is coming on all the time even when I just touch the brakes, I get the juddering feeling, also when I slow right down to stop there are lots of like beep noises etc, am I making sense who knows.

Anyway it seems to me like an overactive abs system, I have put new pads in too and when I came back from ride the disc seemed a little greasy.

Any ideas as to what is happening here?

Thank you so much again in advance

Mark

On an 1100 the ABS lights in the instrument panel are purely to monitor electrical problems, sensors,voltage and Ecu etc, they have no means of monitoring brake fluid pressure etc .

One other thought I fitted EBC pads and they were a tight fit, I have read somewhere that the top edge might need filing down to allow a better fit, could this be causing the abs to step in.

Could it also be air in the system?

thanks again

Mark

still searching for ideas, could it also be that the sensor gap has changed which is causing the abs to kick in at low speeds?

cheers

Mark

still searching for ideas, could it also be that the sensor gap has changed which is causing the abs to kick in at low speeds?

cheers

Mark

Well measure the fecking gap then, we can't measure it for you over the Internet.

Sorry this is dragging a bit, but it is doing my head in.

The ABS is coming on when I slow right down.

I checked the sensor gap this morning cleaned it too and all seems as it should be, also filed the top of the EBC brake pads and they are fitting great now.

The only other thing I have done is bleed the brakes after putting on new hoses could there be air trapped in the system which is causing the abs to kick in at low speeds when I touch the front brake?

Cheers so much again in advance

Mark

Check no teeth are missing on the abs sensor ring fitted to the wheel hub.

Just checked 1 tooth is missing, could this be the problem? looks like it has been missing a while though.

Cheers

Mark

Just checked 1 tooth is missing, could this be the problem? looks like it has been missing a while though.

Cheers

Mark

Yes, could well be the problem, that's one of the symptoms of the ABS kicking in early.

As to why it didn't happen previously i haven't a clue. But that's bye the bye. This could be the fix for your current problem.

Thanks Steptoe so much for the help,

Will get onto it, at least I am getting well rehearsed in front wheel removal..

Cheers again

Mark

Sourced a new abs sensor ring, and fitted will test later today, but does anyone know if there is a torque setting for the sensor ring bolts, cannot find one so assume they are just hand tight with locktite?

cheers

Mark

Hey Steptoe, cannot thank you enough for the advice and help, new ring fitted and problem sorted.

Thank you so much again

Mark

Back
Top Bottom