Iron Butt attempt

ShaunC

Reaction score
On 16th June I entered the Iron Butt Challenge http://www.rblr1000.co.uk/.
I set off at 5am to ride from Squires Cafe near Leeds to John O Groats and back to Leeds in less than 24 hours. It
isnt a race and you arnt to speed. Here is a video I intended to be 5 minutes long and has ended up 18 minutes :nenau

In hindsight I maybe should have done the extra 88 miles but there is always next year :thumb2

Well done - it's almost double what I've done in a day so good on you.

I would be interested in what you or the others done to overcome a sore butt - I've just sold my GS for this very reason after trying 4 seats, so it was not a half hearted decision, but now going to a K1600GTL, so hopefully better, but the insight could still be worth knowing?

Thanks

James

I would be interested in what you or the others done to overcome a sore butt - I've just sold my GS for this very reason after trying 4 seats, so it was not a half hearted decision, but now going to a K1600GTL, so hopefully better, but the insight could still be worth knowing?

Thanks

James

If it's an Iron butt challenge, you failed then :blast:D

Thanks

James

I once sold a bike because it was painful to ride after 250 miles....turned out it was the trousers i was wearing :p
Most miles I had done before this was 390. I wanted to do it as I didnt think I could which turned out to be sort of true.
If the road to JOG was open I would have done just over 1000 miles as I had to but when I got back to squires on
912 miles and the marshalls said to head down to Newark on the A1 and back to clock up the miles I didnt feel I needed to.
Now a few days on I wish I had.

Nice bit of steady riding in what looks like really foul weather, you would of made it if the road hadn't been close....BUT....to do those miles at the end when all you want to do is go home and put your arse on an orthopaedic ring was the killer.

WELL DONE :bow:clap

Could you not have popped up to Thurso? You’d have had to get back to Sherburn so would likely have done 1k. Good effort, especially with the weather

Could you not have popped up to Thurso? You’d have had to get back to Sherburn so would likely have done 1k. Good effort, especially with the weather

The road was closed before the turn for Thurso. Someone said the detour was over 100 miles and slow. I was on 499 miles at the road block and should have just followed the route back that I came up but I hate riding the same roads and wanted to do the loop. I know I said on the video I wouldnt do one again but I might do it again with a friend so we can push each other on.

Seamless underpants help as your skins not rubbing against the seams as you ride, have a look at ExOfficio they helped my sore butt no end. I looked at that the other day but ended up going to Lands end which was 200 miles less each way from Manchester, it took about 4 hours each way. Not very inspiring roads though mostly Motorways. Unlike you I had great weather all the way I hate riding in the rain especially if its heavy like you had.

Yep I was there with my mate our 4th one , 10 year anniversary for the UK Iron Butt next year , why not come along folks, it’s for a worthy cause :thumb2:thumb2

... after trying 4 seats, ...

Did you try the touratech seat? On the standard seat, I could not do more than 100mls without taking a break. After I changed to the TT seat, I have done the IBA gold with a 1000 mile run to Krakow from Newbury. No issues.

If the TT seat has not worked for you, then not sure if anything else will.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Rode back from Portugal last July.....Castelo Branco to my door in Lincs. 26 hours and I waited two hours for the tunnel train. 1400 miles.
Had 2 lay-by sleeps of about 20 mins and sleep on the tunnel train.
Harley Softail with a sheepskin, that I bought in Morocco many 10 years ago.
No sore arse, no real pain anywhere really, just kept moving....No toll roads.

I shall never do it again!

I did the Iron Butt for the RBL a few years back 1108 miles. Not clever at the end. I used an air hawk and that worked for me.

I take my hat off, done Faro to Gijon in one go just stopping off for coffee and petrol, after that I thought about giving up riding, and finding a horse as felt like John Wayne.

In 2011, Earache, his friend Neil and I did more than 1000 miles in 24 hours from Indianapolis to Breckenridge Colorado. I was on Earache's ST1100 Pan. It was 40 deg C + and 98% humidity across Kansas. We did 700 miles on the first day on I-70, with one corner. I spent much of the time standing on the pegs, leaning into the wind at 80 mph, to try to keep cool and give some relief to my arse.

The northern route was very wet, even biblical. Started raining just south of Carlisle and continued all the way up to Wick where the roads were dry and the sun was out.

Fuelled fed and watered it was back to the rain heading back down the same road to Inverness.
It didn't stop raining until Edinburgh.

That was my 2nd iron butt taking the northern route, rained last year as well.
Even with waiting for accident to be cleared and the speed restrictions on the A9 I did the 1009 miles in 19hr 45mins.

No aching ass, sergeant seat with speepskin cover, and as mentioned seamless undies.

Will I do it again, always say no, but I like the solitude and like to ride my bike.
See you all again next year.

Cheers Dave.

Back
Top Bottom