Footman James

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a quote today for my collection from Footman James .Ive been with Carol Nash for over 20 years, but lately I’ve been buying and selling various bikes ,Carol Nash charge me £45.00 admin charge every time I change a bike. I’m also limited to 5 bikes, so some of my bikes are uninsured.Footman James quoted me £280.00 for 7 classic bikes which included a1997 Speed Triple 900 and my 1994 Tiger 900.£50.00 excess on all of them, agreed value plus in event of a payout on any bike I get the salvage.Includes RAC recovery, plus legal cover and clothing ,helmet cover up to £750.00.plus admin charges are £25.00.
The only negative is they can’t include my Harley XR1200 because it’s to new, they have quoted me £230.00 comprehensive with all the extras as on the classic policy.
I think it’ll be bye bye Carol Nash unfortunately.

Strange goings on with their quotes though. You can have classic bike insurance when it's 15years old. BUT as the rider gets younger, the bike needs to be older. I filled in all the online forms and wasted 20 minutes on the phone before someone could tell me this.

Had a quote today for my collection from Footman James

I've also just signed on the proverbial dotted line with FJ. I'm fortunate enough to have 4 bikes, and the 1200GS was just able to go on the policy as its over 10 years old at the end of this month, with the policy starting early July.

Got better cover (unlimited mileage, previous was limited with named mileage on each bike, which was a bit of a pain), £50 excess, agreed value payout, and it was nearly £150 cheaper than my current insurers wanted to renew.

What's not to like:thumb

ChasMill, is spot on and, thanks to him, I am now with RH, who are (by chance) also the insurers of the BMW branded ‘Motorrad’ scheme, which has all but pulled out of insuring motorcycles in central London.

My ‘problem’ was that I have a number of bikes, some pretty nice cars, a motorhome, some of which are garaged at home (central London, E1 postcode), some garaged elsewhere, some on the road and one - a vintage sports car - of considerable value, to all intents and purposes, ‘unreplaceable’. Getting them to one common renewal date was one thing and getting a single insurer to look (sensibly) at insuring the lot was another. As a Lloyd’s syndicate / quasi-insurance ‘company’ RH were able to do a deal, cheaper - and easier - than the price for separating the lot out. That they are also efficient, sensible, good to deal with and (reasonably) flexible is a bonus. When I say, ‘cheaper’ you have to remember that I am in a ‘high risk’ post code, not in some sleepy Dorset hamlet or remote Scottish croft, where the premium is peanuts, irrespective if it’s one motorbike or 10.

Another company that came close was NFU, Ware, Hertfordshire office. Again, pretty helpful and prepared to make an effort to cut a deal. Now that I am bringing all the policies together I may have another look around next year, even if the Frazer Nash would probably stay with RH.

I think they will be my next insurer at renewal next week
Sensible human beings who walk the walk, as well as talking the talk

If bods on here thought it worthwhile, I could ask the lovely Emma (CEO of RH) if the would consider a UKGSer discount.....

I was with Footman James for 10 years plus, classic bike policy ,got 3 points on my license (red light camera) .Footman James could no longer insure me and I went back to square one with my no claims bonus which over the years has cost me loads .

I was with Footman James for 10 years plus, classic bike policy ,got 3 points on my license (red light camera) .Footman James could no longer insure me and I went back to square one with my no claims bonus which over the years has cost me loads .

Why,

Points on your licence isnt a claim ...

Back
Top Bottom