At Cuenca and looking for ideas to move on to

Sideshow Bob

Reaction score
Hello Chaps
Had a nice leisurely bimble from Ribadesella to Potes then Zamora and Segovia then onto Cuenca
Wanted somewhere upwards so I’m not going in the opposite direction of Bilbao for ferry reasons

Had a look at
Soria
Sos Catolico del Reyes
Zaragoza (seems a bit too big)

Did Pamplona last year and although we enjoyed it unlike some on here I wouldn’t go back just yet

Any suggestions please?

If you want to experience some fabulous tapas, you could try Logrono, I was sceptical when it was recommended to me but there is a small area that it solely dedicated to tapas bars and restaurants.

Thanks Popell
I have seen Logrono mentioned before but like you was a bit sceptical thinking it was just a big city

If you want to experience some fabulous tapas, you could try Logrono, I was sceptical when it was recommended to me but there is a small area that it solely dedicated to tapas bars and restaurants.

Excellent advice, Logroño is great and Zaragoza is vast, hot and is no place to ride a motorbike.

Ride there via Darroca for an amazing route that with the deviation will basically do the navigation for you.

Sos de Rey Catolico is nice but probably too close to Logroño, so carry on and stay at Isaba/Izaba. It's a great little 'town' near the top of a lovely valley. Then you have an amazing tour down the Pyrenees to Bilbao, starting with the Port de La Pierre Sant Martin at the head of the valley:

screen-shot-2016-09-23-at-10-16-00-am.png

Enjoy!

Simon

Thanks Simon
I have been reading your posts regarding Spain for some time and have always found them to be most informative
Thanks for the tip regarding Isaba, I will take a look
I agree regarding Zaragoza-passed through there with the kids on the way to Alcossebre and camped in the centre of the city at a place called camping Casablanca - it was that hot that once we got set up we all dived in the pool at 10 in the evening to cool off, never know heat like it

Just been looking at the Parador at Alcañiz - nice short trip from Cuenca and we could jump over to Isaba after that?

Go to Santo Domingo de Silos. Beautiful little village with a great cathedral with singing monks (used to be televised). There you will find the rebuilt set of the last scene in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Free to explore it, it's a couple of miles down a dirt track (can go on any bike). You can sponsor a "grave" if you want to. Some bright sparks put their mother-in-laws' names on a cross when they sponsor it.

It's in the province of Burgos just to the south east of the city. Google Sad Hill (as it was called in the Movie) but be advised the position of it (in Google maps) may not show the correct location. It is, as I say, just north of the village about 2 miles. Anyone there will be able to direct you to it. There is also a great little hotel right in the centre, or another motel just as you go in. If there are rooms in the one in the plaza, go for that one. You can park the bikes opposite in the Plaza or against the wall of the hotel right under your rooms. It's a safe village, no-one will tamper with them there.

It's a great, great day out. It even has the tree where Blondie (Clint Eastwood) left Tuco (Eli Wallach) hanging as he rides off into the sunset and turns around to shoot the rope to release him.

Just looked and it now has the correct location on GM. If you zoom in you can clearly see the spiral outline of it.

Go for it, you won't regret it. Post some pics for us. I have plenty but they're on a hard drive and I can't post them right now. We went on bikes too last year.

Enjoy.

The correct google search is Sad Hill Cemetery, that gives you a GM link and you can see the dirt track that gets you there from the village. Booking.com also has that hotel in the plaza.

Hi Leadfarmer
Yes we love Salamanca but been there and it’s heading in the wrong direction for us on this trip

I appreciate the advice given and I think we will head to the Parador at Siguenza and then to Logrono as we haven’t been to either
Just need to look for a decent hotel with parking in the centre of Logrono

I was in Cuenca on Tuesday, a nice city, but viewed from the Parador the view is spectacular. There were about a dozen bikers staying when I was there. I left Wednesday morning for Cordoba and the temperature there was 39 c, it was like riding around in a hairdryer. This time of year it is better to keep to the North or on the coast if you are going South.

Stayed in the Parador in Siguenza a couple of weeks ago on my way up to Asturias. Lovely town, nice parador too. You'll love it.

Have a good time.

Hi Tim
It looks superb thank you
However the £200 per night price tag is making me have a think about it

Quite so, I wish I could afford to stay in Paradores! Meanwhile the high price ay be t do with the San Juan fiesta this weekend ...

Right booked Los Bracos - thanks for the tip - at €180 for two nights including breakfast it’s sound - couldn’t bring myself to cough up €200 per night ��

Hi Tim - I assumed that
I wonder why they are changing so much?
Although as they appear to be full on their website, people must be prepared to pay
They didn’t even answer my email when I sent them a request for availability
Maybe as Simon says it’s because of the fiesta that they are so busy

Hi Tim - I assumed that
I wonder why they are changing so much?
Although as they appear to be full on their website, people must be prepared to pay
They didn’t even answer my email when I sent them a request for availability
Maybe as Simon says it’s because of the fiesta that they are so busy

After living here for over 20 years I'd say that about 70% of emails to Spanish businesses go unanswered!

Regs

Simon

Back
Top Bottom