Mini fuel transfer pump.

pitrat101

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys, posting this in both Hexhead and LC forum to get most coverage. Does anyone carry a small fuel transfer pump on there bike when travelling? My friend ran out of fuel last month when we were out as he had a faulty fuel gauge, I know he should have watched mileage but he is new to biking and this was a learning curve, whereas I had 3/4 tank, if I had pump could have saved 30 mile and a new fuel can! also when camping use duel fuel cooker so would free up space in luggage not having to take a fuel can. Any recommendations of make model would be great, all the ones I seem to come across are quite big! and really want a small pump, will be used AUX socket under seat as well.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Any external fuel pump used on (small) bikes will do the job.

They cost about £20 on eBay. But as it’s getting used once or twice in a lifetime will it actually work when you dig it out from under your seat?

I carry a small hand pump on my trips. Have a look on eBay and they are easily carried as they are basically just a length of hose.

A tip if you run out is to lie it on it's left pot. This will give you another 15 miles or so as it frees the fuel from the right hand side of the tank.

...a while a go I think I saw a YouTube clip suggesting use quick real arse fuel lines and have a length of pipe with a connector in. When you need to share your fuel split your quick release plug in the pipe and let the bikes fuel pump do the work.

I carry one of those primer bulbs like this for a fiver..... with a length of 8mm plastic pipe, or get pipe and primer all in for about eleven quid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pum...009499&hash=item3f9bba57d2:g:MOYAAOSweMVa7baD

Only ever had to use it once on a German Autobahn for a mates Z1000, the rule being, 'the fuel's free, but you have to carry the pump in your luggage for the rest of the holiday'.

...a while a go I think I saw a YouTube clip suggesting use quick release fuel lines and have a length of pipe with a connector in. When you need to share your fuel split your quick release plug in the pipe and let the bikes fuel pump do the work.

Excellent idea. The male end of the fuel line seems hard to find though eBay is full of complete fuel pipe systems (used) for not much money.

eBay also has inline connectors with shut-off on both ends. Ideal for an under tank link pipe.

On the 1200, lift the panel that covers the fuel pump controller.

Identify the the fuel out pipe.

Disconect it.

Attach a length of pipe.

Hit the starter the button.

Fuel will pump out.

It’s a good way to remove diesel. Just take care that prolonged use doesn’t burn something out. You can also spin the pump via a flying lead connected to any 12 volt supply.

Or just tell your mate not to run out of fuel again or to get good at pushing...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VFiUuAywYis" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PS When you buy your cheap shonky pump, watch out for sparks; they don’t go well with volatile fuel vapour.

The 1200 needs a suitable QR male connector to release the self seal and keep fuel where its supposed to be.

Which is why the bike has self-sealing connectors on the fuel pump and return pipes. Use he correct transfer hose and they wont leak.

Or you could get your mate to syphon petrol from the four GSA's in your group, 2 litres at a time into a small petrol can, to refuel his S1000R and teach him a lesson to turn up with a full tank at the start of next years big trip.

He can probably still taste the petrol now.

It’s all fun and games till someone has to puke fuel &#55357;&#56397;&#55357;&#56838;

Back
Top Bottom