Starter motor solenoid.

Maybe speak to a local auto electrical agent bendy, they might be able to fix the pinion clutch for a fee?
When I lived in Gosport the local auto electrics place were able to fix just about anything auto related.

Is that Donovans in Jubilee rd?

There is a place in Botley Hants that does starters & alternators but i'm not sureif he does mail order

I know he does BMW stuff.

I don

The bike is starting to really piss me off with it's incessant faults. I might get chance to pull it out today and have another look.

Well - starter taken off (again) and soldered the trigger contact to its rivet.
The engine started first push
Switched off and tried again - it’s doing the same as ever.
Starter pings out and no engine start.
Tried a jump wire from trigger contact direct to battery - it’s just the same.
Looks like Norfolk Tiger’s suggestion of failed starter clutch is bang on the money.
I’ve contacted a local electrical repair company so will see what that brings up.

Well - starter taken off (again) and soldered the trigger contact to its rivet.
The engine started first push
Switched off and tried again - it’s doing the same as ever.
Starter pings out and no engine start.
Tried a jump wire from trigger contact direct to battery - it’s just the same.
Looks like Norfolk Tiger’s suggestion of failed starter clutch is bang on the money.
I’ve contacted a local electrical repair company so will see what that brings up.

Where in the motor is the starter clutch??

Okay, trying to think logically......

The starter overrun clutch is presumably a sprag type roller-cam device inside?

If so, maybe the rollers are not gripping on the cam and transmitting drive. Maybe a soak in some kind of solvent to penetrate internally then dry off and squirt with a weak penetrating lubricant like a dash of WD or similar ?.

It might get it running for a while longer ??

There's not a lot too them,

Solenoid, Case with magnets, Armature, Gear pack, Starter drive & pinion and the case

The starter drive & pinion is avaiable as a spare part, dependent on what model starter Id guess Valeo

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Starter-Drive-BMW-R-hexhead-D6G2-Drive-p/d6g2-drive.htm

I have the old one of my starter, but i think it may also be goosed, it felt notchy when rotated if i recall

I can try to split the unit and get it out and throw it down to you if you want to try ..

but if the above is the part your after. its not a bad price

Thanks
I think it’s a Bosch starter motor. Not sure how to tell which it is.
Assuming it is the sprag clutch, it’s located with the pinion. It looks like a sealed unit with the case under the pinion having rolled over edges.
It’s back on the bike again but I’ll see about removing it (again) when today’s heat calms down.

IF i recall when i was looking to my problems,

Bosch or Valeo fit,

Valeo has more torque / output than the Bosch

Bosch

(01/01/2005 — 02/25/2008)

Part 12317691956 was found on the following vehicles:

Valeo

02/01/2004 — 11/14/2008)

Part 12417712231 was found on the following vehicles:

Mines an 06 with a Valeo fitted, so i replaced it with a refurb Valeo

£140 inc delivery if i recall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1tSlcveYg

although this looks like a bosch unit - the pinnion bit is near on the same as the Valeo -

I think if the snap ring is removed from the end of the shaft, the pinnion & clutch just slide off

When the old motor cooked itself, I paid about £140 - £150 or so for the refurb motor. I think a new Arrowhead is no more so if necessary that's what I'll do.

Meantime, I'll get the pinion off and see about a replacement.

When the old motor cooked itself, I paid about £140 - £150 or so for the refurb motor. I think a new Arrowhead is no more so if necessary that's what I'll do.

Meantime, I'll get the pinion off and see about a replacement.

Arrow Head was £160 +vat last time i looked

I fitted an Arrowhead to my 2012 TC a few months ago, £240 from Motorworks with their warranty. I did see some cheaper ones on ebay after I had fitted mine but not sure about warranty.
It has done about 4000 miles and is working perfectly but it should for that money.

I've checked eBay to see if the pinion is available. Sadly not and annoying as some are as little as £20.

BTW, some of the eBay prices make @Hoff's Motorworks Arrowhead look cheap. Most are around £160 at least one was £280.

Thanks @Santa I'll get onto them. A used motor is about the same but who knows what might turn up.

This gives some handy tips http://www.largiader.com/tech/valeo/

Searching eBay for "Valeo G6G2" will find not a few from Germany and Italy that look very clean. No pinions though. Amazon has the correct pinion but no stock and no idea when they might get one. Next job is to remove the motor (again) and take the offending item off. As @Pukmeister said, it might clean up.

I bought a refurbed ?? Valeo D6G2? from a company in Lancs

It was about £160 inc delivery no cc fees either

i'll see if i can find the paperwork

your welcome to try my old pinion , but i think it may be shagged too

I bought a refurbed ?? Valeo D6G2? from a company in Lancs

It was about £160 inc delivery no cc fees either

i'll see if i can find the paperwork

your welcome to try my old pinion , but i think it may be shagged too

Thanks. Mine cost about that via Motorworks. I've not yet got into it to see if the pinion is recoverable. Judging by how many pinions there are on eBay (sadly not for D6G2) they seem to give trouble generally.

Back
Top Bottom