1150GS Alternator

BSD

Reaction score
Is it serviceable? There's a place close by that do refurbishments, but just wondering if I'm better off getting one from a breaker/motorworks as I rarely hear of any giving issues?

It's my everyday bike, so can't really afford to have it off the road for too long.
New belt and correct tension but it keeps chirping/squeeking. Used to only happen when cold, but now even at 4-5bars on temp gauge (its gradually gotten worse over the past 6 months) Guessing it's the bearings on its way out.

Can you see the Nut on the alternator pulley? or is there a black plastic disc at the front of it?

The one with the black disc is a freewheeling pulley i.e. When you slack the throttle the inertia of the rotor keeps it spinning (and charging) and it also means you have slightly more effective engine braking as the rotor is not trying to drive the crank

It's pretty much the same as a small VW so would be repairable by any auto-electrical place. Sounds to me as if the belt is just a bit slack. Take it off and spin the alternator to see if the bearings sound ok. If they are, just tighten it up a bit. They're pretty tough units so don't worry about hurting the bearings.

Can you see the Nut on the alternator pulley? or is there a black plastic disc at the front of it?

The one with the black disc is a freewheeling pulley i.e. When you slack the throttle the inertia of the rotor keeps it spinning (and charging) and it also means you have slightly more effective engine braking as the rotor is not trying to drive the crank

Couldn't tell you Jay, was last in there 3months ago. I'll give it another go on my next day off work and send pics over

It's pretty much the same as a small VW so would be repairable by any auto-electrical place. Sounds to me as if the belt is just a bit slack. Take it off and spin the alternator to see if the bearings sound ok. If they are, just tighten it up a bit. They're pretty tough units so don't worry about hurting the bearings.

That was my first guess with the belt tension. Got new belt on now and tension is correct but noise is gradually getting worse

Back
Top Bottom