What’s the future for separate GPS units?

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve just binned my Nav 6 (well, swapped it for something much louder). I found I wasn’t using it any more, except to watch some of the engine/bike parameters, and as using the iPhone apps (Myroute, Scenic, Waze) to do all my routing. I have even started using paper maps again (pitchforks).

Which makes me think about the future of these stand-alone GPS units. - are they gong to be the equivalent of a 35mm film camera in a couple of years time? A similar conversation over a coffee with the guys at NOG led to a similar conclusion. They were very clear that BMW are now all about “Connections” (shame they don’t work was my reply - prompting some sheepish grins).

But next generation TFT is almost ready for release, and you can bet third gen is in late development now. Their expectation is that everything will go through the TFT in future, so much like Range Rover, you’ll be able to mirror whatever mapping app you have on your phone through the screen.

Interesting times - especially for that first biker SMIDSY (I was lookin’ at my TFT screen).

I have to say I’m loving using paper maps again though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I ditched my Garmin 660 a few years ago, as I found it slow and clunky. It also used to randomly take a round the block detour for no reason, which was a bit irritating.

I now use either Co Pilot or Scenic on my iPhone, they’re both updated regularly, nice interface and easy to use. In all fairness, I don’t use a sat nav to extent of some of the pros on here, but it serves my purposes. I’m just off on a quick 5 day blitz through Germany and Belgium using Co Pilot and won’t be expecting any surprises from the system.

GPS will continue to serve two separate masters, those that:

1. Want the service to do everything for them

2. Those that don’t

Whether the device / gubbins and its display is integral with the vehicle or is in a separate box matters not. I guess that the integration of the gubbinry into the vehicle has already won on the car / truck side, just as having separate car radios has all but died out. Given that even the smallest of cars has more space to integrate the multi-function display into the facia than any bike, getting rid of a separate box for the gps device makes perfect sense and is much cheaper to produce.

What is changing is motorcyclists’ demand to stay ‘in touch’ and ‘entertained’ whilst they hoon about. The idea used to be that you got onto a pretty silly machine and rode about, exposed to everything nature could throw at you (and more besides) in order to get away from the phone, radio and God knows what else. Now it’s seemingly vital that the phone must be connected, that the route A to B must be available, along with traffic warnings and music and talking to all of their mates.... the list goes on an on. This in turn has spawned a whole industry of peripheral suppliers, each battling with each other to make things ‘easier’; a battle they need to up their game on, if the number of “I can’t hear my mum, when I’m riding” posts are anything to go by.

They’ve got to go the same way as cars. Built into a TFT screen with Bluetooth to transfer routes from computer/phone to unit. Bring it on!

For as long as BMW can charge £700 for TFT screen and best part of £700 for a Nav 6 don’t expect anything too soon!!

Well heres a thing.
I am someone who dislikes integrated all in one gadgets with a passion. The GPS is never as good and flexible as a proper grown up one. The cameras are laughable (as though megapixels are a measure of quality when the sensor is microscopic and the "lens" is a grotty plastic disk.) I'll stick to my Nikon thank you very much. And a phone is a phone. Beethoven down shitty earphones - I think not.
And of course if you all-in-one wonder machine gets nicked/criushed/drenched you are multiply buggered.
Of course industry is mad keen on ever greater integration - think of the repair bills.

Well heres a thing.
I am someone who dislikes integrated all in one gadgets with a passion. The GPS is never as good and flexible as a proper grown up one. The cameras are laughable (as though megapixels are a measure of quality when the sensor is microscopic and the "lens" is a grotty plastic disk.) I'll stick to my Nikon thank you very much. And a phone is a phone. Beethoven down shitty earphones - I think not.
And of course if you all-in-one wonder machine gets nicked/criushed/drenched you are multiply buggered.
Of course industry is mad keen on ever greater integration - think of the repair bills.

In one

Totally agree

Really? What are the lenses on lower end compact made of? I had tomtom on my iPhone 6. Would a stand alone be any better? Happy now with google maps. And when I get a new iPhone all my data and settings photos music magically comes into my new device. All I ever do is renter passwords. It’s worked for me since iPhones came out. Torch dictafone camera satnav phone player all in one handy device. Of course it will never replace a high end slr. How many people with slr cameras know how to use them. Every camera I ever see is on programed or whatever pictogram turns it into a point and shoot. JJH

Really? What are the lenses on lower end compact made of? I had tomtom on my iPhone 6. Would a stand alone be any better? Happy now with google maps. And when I get a new iPhone all my data and settings photos music magically comes into my new device. All I ever do is renter passwords. It’s worked for me since iPhones came out. Torch dictafone camera satnav phone player all in one handy device. Of course it will never replace a high end slr. How many people with slr cameras know how to use them. Every camera I ever see is on programed or whatever pictogram turns it into a point and shoot. JJH

If you are happy with a collection of mediocre bits in a small box, then fair enough.

Interesting debate. I suppose until I start laser spotting targets for suppression, I really don’t need a GPS to get me any better than within 20m position accuracy.

I managed to navigate my microlight around controlled airspace for 150 miles today just on my iPhone. On the bike for me the value is in finding a way around traffic that I find most useful.

The same with photography - I’ve taken most of my best photos with my iPhone - because that’s what I had when the moment came.

But the last few days out I’ve used a paper map to work out where I want to go in conjunction with google maps to remind me where I am. Old skool? You bet.

I won’t be surprised at all if next gen TFT will support Android Auto & Apple CarPlay. With iOS 12 due to release in September and ability to use google maps, Waze as a choice of thirty party mapping software. If that does happen, I would certainly be interested to go down the route of TFT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are happy with a collection of mediocre bits in a small box, then fair enough.

I certainly am if that’s what you want to call it. There ain’t much point in having a top of the range camera if you don’t know how to use it. Also the phone is always to hand so you’ve a good chance of a “ medicorke” photo rather than no chance of a super dooper photo because your camera is in its box somewhere but the moment is gone. 60 years ago or more what equipment were photos that won prizes and front pages taken on? It isn’t what you got it’s what you do with it. If you can’t play guitar no guitar is going to make you sound better. Same with photography. JJH

I certainly am if that’s what you want to call it. There ain’t much point in having a top of the range camera if you don’t know how to use it. Also the phone is always to hand so you’ve a good chance of a “ medicorke” photo rather than no chance of a super dooper photo because your camera is in its box somewhere but the moment is gone. 60 years ago or more what equipment were photos that won prizes and front pages taken on? It isn’t what you got it’s what you do with it. If you can’t play guitar no guitar is going to make you sound better. Same with photography. JJH

Ah, but I do know how to use a camera. Yes I have a DSLR, but I also carry a superb compact camera in my pocket for grabbed shots. What possible use could I have for a plastic lens and a 5p sensor?
60 years ago .... you mean those superb Leica optics?

Not new, but will be launched for motorcycles as well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bxGap3BrTFk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ridebeeline/beeline-moto-smart-navigation-for-motorcycles-made

My Garmin Montana is simple all around kit, easy to use and solid. Used this off line App https://wego.here.com/?x=ep&map=53.4179,-2.9206,10,normal in the ME, perfect mapping. But kills battery phone in less than two hours

I have to say I’m loving using paper maps again though.

Me too although i get lost a lot more which is all part of the fun !

In one

Totally agree

As do I

The same with photography - I’ve taken most of my best photos with my iPhone - because that’s what I had when the moment came

The best camera in the world is the one you have with you !

Not bad for an iPhone 6

f8029d443bec9b37b4b5aebeead1a554.jpg

Back
Top Bottom