Shoei Neotec 2 - Scalp Pressure Causing Headaches

gsbiker

Reaction score
Hello.

Just bought a new Neotec 2 helmet in Medium to replace my 9 year old Medium Multitec. All other Shoei helmets I fit in a Large except the flips helmets for some reason.

The helmet fits snug and OK but after riding for a while pressure builds up on my scalp causing me to remove the helmet as it affects my concentration and even vision to some extend. Yesterday I brought along my other new Shoei Hornet ADV helmet in Large and that one was much better for longer so I swapped the helmets over a couple of times with and without my cotton balaclava but the pressure still builds up when I wear the Neotec 2 only.

I bought the Neotec 2 in Medium for two reasons. 1. my Multitec is a Medium so why change? 2. when trying on a large the guy in the shop said its too loose where my head moved right to left more and his fingers could fit between the lining and my forehead (even though it felt comfortable).

So because of this pressure on my scalp I'm wondering if I've either bought the wrong size (maybe because my head has got bigger in 9 years) or that I need a thinner centre pad lining to solve the problem? Not sure what to do?

My head measures 58.5cm and the centre lining is a M9. I can go to a thinner lining which is a M5 but thats another £40+. Medium is 57-58cm and Large is 59-60cm so I'm between the two!

Trying the helmet on before purchase did not reveal this problem.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Hello.

Just bought a new Neotec 2 helmet in Medium to replace my 9 year old Medium Multitec. All other Shoei helmets I fit in a Large except the flips helmets for some reason.

The helmet fits snug and OK but after riding for a while pressure builds up on my scalp causing me to remove the helmet as it affects my concentration and even vision to some extend. Yesterday I brought along my other new Shoei Hornet ADV helmet in Large and that one was much better for longer so I swapped the helmets over a couple of times with and without my cotton balaclava but the pressure still builds up when I wear the Neotec 2 only.

I bought the Neotec 2 in Medium for two reasons. 1. my Multitec is a Medium so why change? 2. when trying on a large the guy in the shop said its too loose where my head moved right to left more and his fingers could fit between the lining and my forehead (even though it felt comfortable).

So because of this pressure on my scalp I'm wondering if I've either bought the wrong size (maybe because my head has got bigger in 9 years) or that I need a thinner centre pad lining to solve the problem? Not sure what to do?

My head measures 58.5cm and the centre lining is a M9. I can go to a thinner lining which is a M5 but thats another £40+. Medium is 57-58cm and Large is 59-60cm so I'm between the two!

Trying the helmet on before purchase did not reveal this problem.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Did you try it on with the balaclava, and try riding without the balaclava, if problem is not present without balaclava, either be patient or go a liner size up.

Take the skull cap out and use the back of a spoon (or your thumb/object/ whatever) to push against the foam that's causing the issue, mine did exactly the same as yours but after doing the above it's perfect.

Helmets do give after a few days of use - not a few hours, and the more you use it the better it will get. You have two other solutions mentioned here already - buy a smaller liner, or compress the part of the helmet that too tight - very slightly mind! So between these three solutions I'd definitely start with just keep wearing it for several weeks and see where that takes you, if you need to use another helmet intermittently then so be it, after that you need to move to one of the other options, but it will get sorted:beerjug:

James

As said above, if you can identify the pressure point either compress it with a spoon or if necessary even remove a small amount of polystyrene at the spot

Had to do this for wifey cos she has a square head :nenau
(No she’s not German and she’s a babe)

As said above, if you can identify the pressure point either compress it with a spoon or if necessary even remove a small amount of polystyrene at the spot

Had to do this for wifey cos she has a square head :nenau
(No she’s not German and she’s a babe)

Bailed out of that one..........:D

My Neotech 1 was tight for anout a week ( riding 3 to 4 hours day) then eased. Mine was side pressure and flipping the front eased the pressure. As stated above determine the pressure point and squash polystyrene there. Re balaclava, they always make my helments tighter, do you need to ride with one currently?

Steve

Thanks people for responding. I can't seem to identify any pressure points exactly (not initially anyway) just general tightness around the scalp area which causes headaches & affecting vision. I've only done two trips with it initially. 1. Five mile test ride. 2. 250 miles yesterday where I swapped helmets couple of times back and forth.

I'm sat here typing with it on now (without balaclava and ear plugs) and the helmet feels comfortable but tight all around. Within 10 minutes I can feel pressure building but no headaches yet. Cheek pads feel tight. Centre pad feels slightly tight left and right side of my head. Buckle is not done up tight but I feel its uncomfortable pressure under my chin regardless.

I think I will take peoples advise and keep wearing it for a while and see how it goes.

OK I've not been riding with this Neotec II helmet much because it hurts after 45 minutes with no signed of it abating. So I went online and bought a thinner centre pad (£44) only to find that TheVisorShop.com do not stock them as advertised but they order direct from Shoei when customers place their orders. They told me after purchasing they were out of stock and Shoei won't have any until mid August. This was back in June.

Few days ago I did another internet search and found Motolegends have them in stock. I called them and they confirmed they have one in stock. I bought it only to find it arrived in a non genuine clear plastic bag with a number of hairs in it. I complained and they sent me one direct from Sheoi so I thought. That arrived in a genuine Shoei bag which looked old and had plenty of creases in it only to find that it also has minor hairs in it and a few small bits as well here and there. Well I removed them all and proceeded to fit in my helmet only to discover it doesn't fit!!!! I am now sending back both for a refund. How crazy is this?? I've sent a complaint in to Shoei about all this to see if they can help.

Sounds like it's plain and simple too small for you!!

Try and persevere riding with it for a few weeks.

Sent from a U11

Sounds like it's plain and simple too small for you!!

Try and persevere riding with it for a few weeks.

Sent from a U11
Thing is my multitec was a medium and that fitted OK. Also a chap in a shop said I was a medium fit for the Neotec 2. My head measurements are 58.5cm

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thing is my multitec was a medium and that fitted OK. Also a chap in a shop said I was a medium fit for the Neotec 2. My head measurements are 58.5cm

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
The Multitec is not your currently helmet.....it's a different helmet, forget about it. Also, forget about the tape.....it only measures one variable.

If the helmet is too tight and is causing you discomfort.......it's too small.

Try a size large and you may have to put thicker cheek pads in that.

You're probably just on the cusp.....between sizes.

Sent from a U11

Get a cheap kids football that can be blown up, let it down to get it in the helmet, then pump it back up.
Leave it for a week or two and try it on again.
Easier than riding around with a headache trying to stretch it whilst on.

If it's a flip make sure it's closed or you can stretch the locking mechanism

The Multitec is not your currently helmet.....it's a different helmet, forget about it. Also, forget about the tape.....it only measures one variable.

If the helmet is too tight and is causing you discomfort.......it's too small.

Try a size large and you may have to put thicker cheek pads in that.

You're probably just on the cusp.....between sizes.

Sent from a U11

If they change them so much it makes buying really risky!

I've bought mine now and do not intend buying another. These are not cheap helmets.

Get a cheap kids football that can be blown up, let it down to get it in the helmet, then pump it back up.
Leave it for a week or two and try it on again.
Easier than riding around with a headache trying to stretch it whilst on.

If it's a flip make sure it's closed or you can stretch the locking mechanism

That's a very interesting suggestion, thank you.

At 58.5 inches.......you are at the outer limits of the medium and almost into the 59-60 large.
I reckon whomever fitted you for and sold you the helmet....made a mistake.

Sent from a U11

I would maybe try and sell the helmet on here and buy the large.
I know you will take a hit but maybe hit the dealer up for a discount on the new one.

There is no point keeping a helmet that's causing you so much discomfort.

Terrible situation to find yourself in.

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom