1977 Suzuki 250 Ram air

Big Den

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi fella, I have been offered a fully restored 250 ram air, I know the guy who has carried out the restoration and he is meticulous, bike is better than new but what is it worth :nenau He thinks £3500 , looking about the prices are all over the place and these have yet (if ever) to be sort after / be collectable.
I think sooner or later any 2* will start to hold and go up in value so I looking at it as a useable classic, I don't like them sitting in the garage for long periods as I don't think it does them much good.

Good question a real under the radar bike. i have 4 two strokes and rarely see these coming up for sale.

Compared to these two £3500 seems about right https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/cla...pe=&price=&keyword=Gt250&S.x=0&S.y=0&S=Search

Power wise its not bad at 30 bhp and this and its bigger brother the 500 titan pulled more like four strokes as they were torquey.
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/suzu/suzuki_gt250 75.htm

Certain two strokes have taken off Rd400 leading the way, RDLC peaked a few years ago, Kr1s’s moved in the last 3 years. Suzuki Kettles peaked abot 10 years ago!

If I had to speculate I would go for 1990’s bikes now as their first owners are now 45 and thats where the monies coming from. My 1977 Kh is 41 years old so its first riders are early sixties , still nostalgic but diminishing

So its a fickle market, the only trend is UP , it just depends when the bike becomes collectable. At £3.5k and its fully restored it should be easy to move on if the mkt doesnt increase as fas as the above.

Not sure if I have helped!

I had a Suzuki GT 250 A in 1976 which was the model that replaced the ram air models ,so unless it was a very late reg older model. From 1976 the 250s did not use the ram air check the docs

I reckon that is about right if it is absolutely mint.
You are right about 2Ts needing to be used though. A bit of a conundrum for those that want to buy mainly for investment purposes.

Thanks guy's excellent advice, and you are right it's the model after the ram air. I had a ram air back in 1980 for steaming about on before joining the mob, fell off or knocked off 7 times and rebuilt it, great fun

I know where there is a 5t ???? I think thats what it is, (70s Suzuki 500 twin 2 stroke) Good condition but not concours

I can ask if you want

Strangely enough the guy with the GT250 also has a fully restored GT500 twin :D The only reason I was after the 250 originally was nostalgia as I had a great time on mine back in the late 70's. The other is he is sniffing round my 1200 Thruxton after a poor buying decision on a cb750, think he is after a modern retro he does not have to fettle before each ride. The CB750 came from a classic's dealer he has dealt with before and a few days after purchase he had to strip the carbs and clean them :eek: and guess what he paid £10k for it. I would be spitting, for that he should have been able to just ride it in my view not start work on it ! well he is not happy so I think that will go to be replaced by a modern classic. He already has the two GT's, a 500 Maico twin shock crosser , CZ and Husky crosser, blats one of them up Red Marley every year.
I will see if he decides on a deal as I have had a hankering for a 2* for a while.

Interesting thread :thumb2

I was offered a GT250 C last night at 21.30hrs and by 13.00 this afternoon it was in the back of my van :D

Registered in December 77 and officially a 78 model the C was the final GT250 before the X7

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GT-series/GT250.shtml

PA130001.jpg

Was restored in 2001 and the then owner did 92 miles on it then slung it under a tarp and what you see is what I'm now left with :blast

I'm loving the fact it has Melber wheels :thumb2

Rare as rocking horse shit apparently but it's gonna take some polishing :augie

I was offered a GT250 C last night at 21.30hrs and by 13.00 this afternoon it was in the back of my van :D

Registered in December 77 and officially a 78 model the C was the final GT250 before the X7

PA130001.jpg

Was restored in 2001 and the then owner did 92 miles on it then slung it under a tarp and what you see is what I'm now left with :blast

Great find, what I cant understand at 9:30 at night all im offered is a brew or an instruction to take the bin out !!

I sold a very clean and original gt250a early in the summer for about £2800 so yours is about the right price if it's concourse... possibly a slightly 'full' price.

I do think there's a ceiling for bikes of that capacity though, so i would not expect a vast amount of growth on that in the next 2-3 years.

As ever with these bikes, prices are tricky to predict because the fella who owned one in the same colour when he was 17, and has just cashed in his pension, will always pay an emotional rather than market price.

PA130001.jpg

Check those Melber alloy wheels very carefully as they were notorious for cracking where the spokes meet the hub, heres what they looked like new

Attachments

• suzuki gt250c.jpg
    suzuki gt250c.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 391
Yep they were red, blue or white :thumb

I've checked the wheels over very carefully and all appears sound with no visible cracks

I wacked 50psi in the tyres last night and this morning they are still holding pressure :D

I can't find another photo or information on the Melbers ever being fitted to a 250. It would seem that they were more often used on the GT750, 550 & 380

I seem to remember being told that Melbers were officially imported by Suzuki UK ? :nenau

It was a Heron Suzuki thing they fitted them to some but not all of the run out GT250C ,GT380,GT 550 and GT 750's (250's were smaller wheels ), Suzuki caught on and then fitted the wheels from the GT200 X5 on some final model gt125 twins and the GT185C.

Seem to remember John Brown Wheels also selling the Melber wheels

I remember seeing C model GT's of all size hanging round unsold in local dealers well into the late 70's as everyone wanted the X5,X7 models and the new GS bikes .

Same as Kawasaki almost giving away late model KH250's

Back
Top Bottom