T900 getting the UMP

Dean

Reaction score
So I picked up my Easter egg on Good Friday as it turned out it was a very Good Friday :D – And I think it’s a very good Egg – what kind of Egg? This one is a Scrambler :blast. A 2008 model.

Having thrown my leg over a new one in a Triumph showroom in 2008 and deciding on a BMW route instead I still liked the look of the Triumph scrambler but still had not ridden or heard that distinctive sound of one.

Earlier this year and ten years on a good friend of my brother in-law joined us on a regular ride to the London bike show on his T900 Scrambler on hearing the scrambler for the first time I expressed my interest in them I had a sit on it and ten years on it just felt good.

This bike through pure fluke I realised was about to go up for sale, to my surprise still not having ridden one I found myself buying it as a second bike. But how to tell SWMBO :rob I thought I would surprise her and go with an old saying “It’s easier to gain forgiveness than permission” :nenau

So I rode it home the long way with a big grin on my face in the pouring rain and surprised the wife. Well to put it mildly she had the right raving UMP. :blast:blast

But the next day I couldn’t wait to give it a wash and good clean.

wash-L.jpg

rear%20wash-L.jpg

That led into some deep cleaning, the plan being to clean it up replace any rusty or knackered nuts and bolts, the more bits I took off the more I found to clean up.

deep%20cleaning-L.jpg

20180625_183619-L.jpg

A few Ideas have popped into my head being all new to this kind of thing one thing led to another. I realise it will not everyone’s choices or way. It will take a while there’s no rush and to be honest I’m enjoying it. There is still a lot to clean and it’s becoming a bit of an enjoyable project! :thumb2

Last edited:
The Tank with the Knee pads and the badge I thought would be better off to give it a bit of a clean and a polish up, personally I think it has scrubbed up really well. :D :D

The old one.

original%20tank-L.jpg

And the old one with a new look.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PGCWSoy2m-s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes a Stunning very nice Mess Chris. :D:D:beerjug:

:rob All paint to the Tank, Front Mudguard and the front Screen by Chris – CT Motorcycle Services

Picking up the new paint from Chris yesterday prompted me to write this thread to capture all the work done and to spend a few hours last night stripping down and cleaning - its stunning paint work and more going into it than I ever realised to create the ultimate finish still keeping the red and white theme but changing to the Black Cherry Candy in certain light it looks darker but once walked into the sun light it’s absolutely stunning looks like you could walk into it and get lost. :cool:

For me the way the colours, pin stripes work it keeps with an old bygone look that I like the Triumph Logo which I believe is 1936 – 1989 heavier and shorter type with the swoosh passing under the “I” with an outline. The swoosh touches all the letters but leaves the UMP.

The colour inside the outline I left to Chris and that blue works very well, superb. I know the whole thing is not Magic its good quality work carried out with a skill through attention to detail process.

Some of the work – an early prime.

IMG_8791%202-L.jpg

Some silver

IMG_8826-L.jpg

Adding a few coats of the black Cherry Candy.

IMG_8832-L.jpg

The Logo

IMG_8855%20%281%29-L.jpg

The paint awaiting 9, yes 9 coats of clear Lacquer and a polish or two. 3 lots of tick tack tock :toungincheek

IMG_8837-L.jpg

Seeing the finished items is just not capture-able by camera, me I'm over the moon.

If any one is interested on more details Chris is the man to ask he only showed me the easy bitts ;) and held back on the thing you can not buy, yes the experience, what a talent.

I can not put the painted parts on the bike yet as theres more coming off and more cleaning :D But I'm in no rush but will post as and when. SWMBO seems much better with these days no longer has the UMP even commented how nice the new paint work looks :blast :D :thumb :D

Last edited:
Shot blasting and powder coating for a few items off of the bike that front mudguard and stands have had a battering in its 10 years on the road. :roll- all going Satin Black :beer:

Shot%20and%20powder-L.jpg

Single seat acquired on Ebay to be fitted with a tail Tidy :reynolds

seat-M.png

Very nice

Love my Scrambler - it's just a giggle machine

are those the TORS pipes?

Very nice

Love my Scrambler - it's just a giggle machine

are those the TORS pipes?

Hi Ian

I think I have always admired the look of the Triumph Scrambler hearing them and riding is something else :D

Yes TORS pipes, last of the carbed models, a few mods already came with the bike mention a few airbox removed, Fire-starter ignitor, re jetted to suite- Heated grips and a Rev counter.

just making a few tweaks and putting my stamp on it. :cool:

Puts a big grin on you face :D:D

Nicely sorted then - can’t beat the bark of TORS

Mines an FI running a TTP tune

photo.php

8 Ball paintwork on mine, not quite as unique as yours but definitely not run of the mill :)

Attachments

• scram.jpg
    scram.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 442
8 Ball paintwork on mine, not quite as unique as yours but definitely not run of the mill :)

I like it :thumb2 very nice black engine also, I like them all - but its nice to see something a bit different :cool:

I like them Mirrors on yours :) , thinking along the lines of something like that for mine in time getting rid of my long chrome stalks what make are they ? From?

So off with the T900 pipes and cans. :D

20180630_194709-L.jpg

Now more is exposed I can get in there and apply some elbow grease with UMPh. :rolleyes: Remove all the grime, remove some rust spots and polish here and there. :blagblah

20180630_194459-L.jpg

Those HAGON shocks was fitted by the previous owner, but I have plans for fitting another set. Not the piggy back type I like the single units. :bounce1

20180630_194536-L.jpg

With the powder coated parts back and another parcel from the postman its nearly time to start assembling the goodies onto the bike :D

Tyres of choice continental TKC 80's

i-8prgBL5-L.jpg

Just a little more cleaning and polishing and a bit of UMPh and elbow grease while I can get at it easier. :thumb2

With the TKC tyres on the wheels and a new Renthal sprocket I can commence assembling some of the goodies. :cool:

i-vdtcDkp-L.jpg

A tail tidy fitted nice bit of kit aluminium and stainless steel fittings, goes very well when offering the single seat and rack up and in place.

i-DcfWKFJ-L.jpg

i-38kG9vJ-L.jpg

The Nitron stealth black adding to the black and chrome look. :bounce1

i-hSP8CkH-L.jpg

Pivot Pegz added.

i-3HFBQT8-L.jpg

More cleaning and polishing - power to the elbow grease engine edge of fins before and after. :D

i-zVn8WXm-L.jpg

i-M48Z5mV-L.jpg

Right whats next ..... :reynolds

Changing the large chrome coat hanger indicators for that smaller black look at the front while relocating the rectifier back slightly to tidy up the front a little. :D

i-VdRLPFg-L.jpg

i-X72SpW3-L.jpg

The bike for me had too much chrome so some I’m removing and some I’m leaving to shine out.The rear indicators changed with a similar but black Bullet shape. :cool:

i-K2LgkMn-L.jpg

i-xrnLXF7-L.jpg

Next a bit more cleaning and polishing more UMPh on the T900 :blast

Back
Top Bottom