Is it time for The RT?

PAL55

Reaction score
Currently riding a 1200 GSA, but took a test ride on the 1200RT this week. Must admit I was very impressed, now it's decision time.
I have been an adventure bike rider for a long time, now in my sixties I do like the idea of extra weather protection etc.
Spoke to a couple of dealers, they seem to be in short supply!! With 2 dealers telling me no factory builds are available due to new model coming soon!!!

I switched from a 2017 GS to and RT last year and recently switched to a lowered GSA.

All are great bikes but, for me, I prefer the GSA for everyday stuff.

For longer tours then the RT might be better, especially with the electronic screen and the heated seats etc.

Oh and I'm mid-sixties so know what you mean.

I’ve just moved from a 2014 gsa to a RT. 2 oviously very different bikes but when you take the advantages of each its very hard to split them. Unless you go off road which I don’t. I’ve gone from one to the other a few times now. Of course the real soloution is to have both. Dream on. JJH

All that painted bodywork puts me off a tad I mean if the RT falls off the side stand ...££££££s.
Meanwhile a GSA fall= £0

Of course the plan is alwwys to keep it upright!

I moved from GSA to RT, then RTWC. I kept my old airhead GS - which is a hoot. If you don't go off-road, RT (imho) much more comfortable and better for big distances. 2 up - RT great, but I used to be able to carry much more on the GSA. Now we just travel with less.

There is a couple of deals on RTs at Coopers BMW Tonbridge wells probably old stock

All that painted bodywork puts me off a tad I mean if the RT falls off the side stand ...££££££s.
Meanwhile a GSA fall= £0

Even more if this one does ,see the plastic plated clutch on the MV Agusta Tourismo Veloce 800 Lusso SCS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjfVdhACHxY

61db86e3723d92caa2bcb8cc57144321.png

I've been thinking of a similar change as I have been coming under pressure from SWMBO, will also consider the RS.

RT too hot in hot weather, otherwise they are great.

RT too hot in hot weather, otherwise they are great.

+1 on that Mike,, had to garage mine till it cools down a bit absolutely no fresh air from behind that screen, Cant think of why they haven't brought out a screen with a controllable flap to allow fresh air up to the rider

If it REALLY is that much of a deal (I don't find it an issue), take the screen off (4 screws - tool under the seat!).

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been here before, previously had an RT, but went back to a GSA. One of my other reasons for the change, my wife has decided to show an interest in riding pillion again, she likes the idea of a few weekends away ( who am I to argue). I did find the RT a little more confidence inspiring riding 2 up, perhaps thats just me. Close to a deal on the RT now, just need to be brave enough to take the final plunge.

Meanwhile a GSA fall= £0

Of course the plan is alwwys to keep it upright!

Don't be put off. They make some smashing (pun intended) crash bars for the RT. A bit of paint protection film for the panniers and some sliders for the final drive and you're awaaaaaay........

I had a loan WC RT when my Hexhead was in for a service - Thought it was a cracking bike but a GS is just so GS like, if you get my drift

+ 1 On that theme, I have just sold my LC RT, I wasn’t disappointed with it at all, but I retained my hexhead GSA, superbly smooth and comfortable and I held its value over 18 months, I do have a peg lowering kit if required, I have a 34” leg and found it just right.

I ride an RT mainly because my wife enjoys the long rides ;)

If I mostly rode alone I would be on a GS.

I yo-yo between RT and GSA, riding position is (for me) exactly the same, just the GSA is a few inches taller, which for me is an issue nowadays, you tend to sit in the RT and on the GSA (if that makes sense)?

Plus nowadays I like the inclusive package of the RT luggage built in, central locking, and the radio or linked to my phone/iPod which I do use, and piped through to the helmet, is fine at most speeds up to 75ish, anything above that you need to be concentrating on the road and ignoring the radio.

My tuppence worth.

:beerjug:

Well guys I took the plunge, deal done and picking up RT at the end of the week. there were some good deals on new RT's out there, but found a RTLE with Audio pack and Top Box with only 88 miles on it!! The guy that bought it didn't like it!!

Back
Top Bottom