Is it time for The RT?

Couple of times we've had both RT and GS hire bikes in the Alps, found the RT a better mile muncher but the GS was much more fun on narrow back roads and the mountain passes where the RT always felt unweilding and less able

Well guys I took the plunge, deal done and picking up RT at the end of the week. there were some good deals on new RT's out there, but found a RTLE with Audio pack and Top Box with only 88 miles on it!! The guy that bought it didn't like it!!

:thumb2

You’ll need one of these for your phone or iPad if you have the audio, BMW tell me the aftermarket (eBay) ones don’t work you have to buy theirs, but i’ve not had a problem, I have an old IPod in the glove box plugged in all the time, and it works off the thumb wheel etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Car-Audio-...m=183152218812&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

GS to RT

Having had 5 GS / GS Adv from 1100 to 1200 and a brief encounter with a KTM Super Enduro, just picked up a 10 plate RT from a member of the forum and have to say there are differences and similarities.

More accurate on the road and more input required on the bars at lower speeds. Just as quick across country on A roads.

I was contemplating getting into a new GS Adv but with the talk of the new 1250, this will be a stop gap and the very capable one at that.

Having had 5 GS / GS Adv from 1100 to 1200 and a brief encounter with a KTM Super Enduro, just picked up a 10 plate RT from a member of the forum and have to say there are differences and similarities.

More accurate on the road and more input required on the bars at lower speeds. Just as quick across country on A roads.

I was contemplating getting into a new GS Adv but with the talk of the new 1250, this will be a stop gap and the very capable one at that.

I did know about the new 1250 but I must be honest the existing 1200 RT is fast enough for me, and I like the dash on the existing RT. The new one will be all TFT and come with a price increase. Where do we stop with the power? I am staying with 125 hp ( for now)

Yep, fast enough for the roads in Pembrokeshire and up my neck of the woods! I don't get the all lathered up over the TFT dash to be honest. I love tech, but it's very much down the list to riding experience and usability.

I'll no doubt go back to a GS Adv in the next couple of years, but enjoying the RT for now. Much easier to keep the front wheel on the floor than the Super Enduro!

Well guys I took the plunge, deal done and picking up RT at the end of the week. there were some good deals on new RT's out there, but found a RTLE with Audio pack and Top Box with only 88 miles on it!! The guy that bought it didn't like it!!

Out of interest, where did you pick it up from? I am near Carmarthen and may be looking to change in my older 1150RT for a newer one...

How can ANYONE after they chose to buy the bike, then decide they don't like a bike after 88 miles. Most of my test rides are longer than that!

Out of interest, where did you pick it up from? I am near Carmarthen and may be looking to change in my older 1150RT for a newer one...
I had to travel for this RT, got it from Reiten Motorrad Sudberry Suffollk. A round trip of about 600 miles, but the deal was good and so was the RT.

I had to travel for this RT, got it from Reiten Motorrad Sudberry Suffollk. A round trip of about 600 miles, but the deal was good and so was the RT.

Cheers for the reply, I'm just starting to look about for a replacement for my RT

RT Brilliant

After much thought,I made the move from a 2014 GS TE,to a 2018 RT LE. In my opinion,the RT is much more refined than my GS.It's much smoother with a much better gearbox and the handling and road holding is a revelation.The GS handled well but for me,the front never felt quite so sure footed.The RT,on the other hand is welded to the road in any road condition and inspires confidence.
I got a little tired of getting off the GS in filthy weather,being just as dirty as the bike,I had the usual Avant front mudguard extender and Mudsling on the rear and for good measure,I also fitted frame infills,none worked as expected.With the RT,all these woe's have gone,result.
The only downside is that the RT,is more difficult to clean properly.I have gotten to the stage where I can now remove the body panels in 20 minutes.Small price to pay for owning such a brilliant bike.
Been riding for more than 50 years and have owned more bike than I can recall,The RT,remains for me,the best bike I have ever owned....Love it.

Got a loan bike today.

Initial impressions are I like the GS better, much better.

I would rather have the RS than the RT, lighter, just as much protection and a lot cheaper.

Horses for courses, just proves we are all different. I have covered 17k on my RT now and have had a GS as a loaner 3 times whilst the bike was in for servicing. Much prefer the RT especially the weather protection, ride all year around. Loved the GS on the B roads, but I rarely use B roads and dirt tracks :)

Got a loan bike today.

Initial impressions are I like the GS better, much better.

I would rather have the RS than the RT, lighter, just as much protection and a lot cheaper.
The RS doesn't have as much protection as an RT. It is a nice bike though, I found the wind noise off the stock screen something awful.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

I can only blame the wife for this, have gone from GSA to RT back to GSA because she won’t let me have more than one bike at a time. Would love to have both of them. Don’t we all?

RT

Well if you are going to get one, make sure the lower right panel fits properly.
Mine didn't from new and i'm still fighting.
NOT impressed with BMW customer service...

This meant as reply to Likelylads RT brilliant post earlier...

That sums up my thoughts exactly... the only downside I see on my 18my RT LE vs my previous 16my GSA is the magic carpet ability the GSA has in smoothing out really badly paved roads and it’s better capability in smooth dirt roads (of which there are plenty in Greece where I am at the moment on the RT).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom